Customer Discussions > Amazon.com Music Essentials forum

Where are the Christian Artists??????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 96 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 3, 2008 10:49:37 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jun 3, 2008 10:52:12 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2008 7:22:16 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2008 7:28:35 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2008 7:28:36 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 24, 2008 7:16:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 24, 2008 7:20:57 PM PDT
DMP says:
Adam ~

Proselytize somewhere else, brother! And STOP YELLING! There are many colors of "truth," and yours is a particularly boring shade of beige.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 27, 2008 4:44:04 AM PDT
Yes, I hope most christian musicians will have the good taste to keep their religion to themselves. And you should, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2008 12:35:40 PM PDT
G. Hayes says:
You want to hear some incredible Christian music? Check out Neal Morse (Formerly of Spocks Beard). He's become a Progressive Rock legend the last 10 - 15 yrs. Unfortunately Prog Rock has become unpopular in America, and we don't hear much of anything about him or Spocks Beard. I guarantee that if you like Prog you will absolutely y not be disappointed.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_m?url=search-alias%3Dpopular&field-keywords=neal+morse

G. Hayes

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2008 12:37:12 PM PDT
G. Hayes says:
Your wrong, check out Neal Morse. Progressive rock legend (Very Influential).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 13, 2008 8:47:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2008 1:49:13 AM PDT
M. Werle says:
Hey William aren't you telling Christians to not do exactly what you're doing...Force/share your beliefs on others. Isn't what you're belief system is; that you should keep it to yourself; but thats not what you're doing when youre telling others to keep it to themselves. By telling others that you're not keeping your belief sysem to yourself. Just a thought to think about.

I don't know if these are considered essential but they are influential.

WC Handy was very influetial essential in music. He wrote St. Louis Blues along with hymns.

Mahlia Jackson. Not my kind of music/singing but she was very influential and I do like her version of Summertime/Motherless Child

Ralph Stanley a very influential Bluegrass artist.

Sam Cooke was one of the greatest soul singers. His early work with the Soul Stirrers will probably be enjoyed by anyone who likes early soul music,

Many of the Classical work was commissioned work but that doesnt mean it can't be enjoyed on a spiritual level.

My two biggest points are: one, that just because someone makes Christian or religous music does not make them Christian but that it can still be enjoyed by both religious and not.

Rock of Ages. How Great Thou Art are incredible tunes. Elvis and others didnt just record those songs because it was religious but because it they are good.

I don't know if anyone can deny the fact that Amazing Grace is a fantastic song and melody. Did you know that the words to House of the Rising Sun fit perfectly to it too.

And who would deny Silent Night. It is heavenly.

And secondly, on the fact that most Christians are conservative so they are probably less likely to be influential with a new style or genre. Most Christian music today is reactionary to what pop culture puts out so how could it be influential. Thus very less likely to be considered by the masses as essential.

My opinion is that with the Church having less influence on society so will its artists. Times do change and who knows the next big thing could be some christian guy/girl/group singing some new style with some new instrument. It most likely would then be taken by the secular artists and expanded on to mesh with the current popular world views in a much bigger way. Probably then considered to be essential by the masses.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 5, 2008 10:20:07 AM PDT
if the criterion for the "essentials list" is number of copies sold -- u may want to check the numbers on the hymn "Amazing Grace". John Newton's song was written in the late 1700's and has inspired countless books and movies. It IS part of American Culture. Similarly, "Come Thou Fount" (recently included on one of many brilliant CDs by Sara Groves) comes from the same time period, and has been highly regarded over several hundred years. For me, the recent works of Bart Millard pays tribute to essential hymns of the Christian Faith. And, his group MercyMe has produced numerous Christian Rock CDs that i consider essentials. No matter the number of copies currently sold.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 26, 2008 12:34:35 AM PDT
W. Horton says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2008 8:06:05 PM PST
briarpatch says:
Inflamatory, Horton.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2008 7:07:00 AM PST
but you Christians were "real Americans" and real Americans don't hide.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2009 11:31:28 AM PST
D. Marks says:
ckeck out Mad Max new release called "here we are".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 12, 2009 1:12:00 PM PST
C. Goodrum says:
I agree that artists should be put on the essentials list based purely on the quality of the music -- not because of what sub-genre they are part of.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 27, 2009 3:48:45 PM PST
W. Horton says:
THEY ALL WENT TO HELL for believing in a jewish cosmic zombie.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2009 12:01:45 PM PST
Best Christian CD I ever heard is "Good Monsters" by Jars of Clay. The songs can reach you even if you arent particularly religious. Most Christian music, particularly comtemporary, is of a lower standard. Put it side by side with "regular" music and your ears pick out the Christian tune right away, and not because it bears a message, but because the music is usually carrying a pretty high cheeseball factor. Jars of Clay isnt like that. They are HUGE beatles fans (and U2 fans) and their influences can be heard in their music. In concert, they cover a lot of secular music, but it fits. They concentrate on the art in their music much more than most Christian artists and their music has often been played on secular radio and it holds its own very well.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2009 8:44:55 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 1, 2011 1:17:38 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 17, 2009 8:38:54 PM PST
Paul Lee says:
Actually those lyrics were penned by Rich Mullins just fyi

Posted on Mar 10, 2009 8:27:56 AM PDT
Chuckie says:
Speaking as a person of Christian faith I say there is good reason why the artists you mention are not listed as "essentials" Steve Curtis Chapman? Are you joking? Who would listen to that but a Christian? (and one who likes boring, cliche-ridden drivel at that) As for myself, even as a Christian I would not want to listen to it because the music is lame and cheesy and without any merit except maybe the trite, garden- variety religiosity found in the unchallenging lyrics. Folks like SCC take little to no effort in their music and think that the message alone is justification for making abysmal music. The thing is I'm not a Micheal Bolton fan so why should I listen to some schmaltzy imitation of him, only with less vocal range, just because he is throwing out bumpersticker slogans that supposedly glorify God?

Is God trully a cliche as those who do not believe suggest? To me, creating mass produced mediocrity in the name of God is not a very Christian thing to do. That's just my opinion of course. The problem with CCM is that most of those people abandon the artistry of making music in favor of churning out hackneyed, easy-listening drivel.

There are some overtly Christian bands out there making some pretty good music--I like some of Switchfoot's stuff, as well as Flyleaf and Demon Hunter.

Also if you want to hear a Christian record where the band is as devoted to creating music as they are to their faith, listen to MeWithoutYou's latest, Brother,Sister. That album is brilliant, sonically and lyrically. The music is full of color, texture, and meaning. There is not a stale Christian slogan to be found in the entirety of the album--just honest meditations on what its like to be a struggling human being that is convicted in belief and heart, making their way through life in a fallen but also beautiful world, while seeking to walk with God.

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 10:08:14 PM PDT
JR says:
Jesus says they should be playing with snakes, drinking poison and speaking in tongues. Mark 16:17-18.
And by the way, the Reverend Al Green's already listed (and rightly so.)

Posted on May 7, 2009 3:19:01 PM PDT
cb says:
Church?

Posted on May 27, 2009 10:11:30 AM PDT
Because supercelestial thought goes hand-in-hand with subterranean conduct!

Posted on May 27, 2009 7:28:59 PM PDT
ME says:
Where are all the Christian artists at? In Hell sucking on Lucifers penis.

Posted on May 30, 2009 4:33:20 PM PDT
The closest thing to distinctively Christian music these days is praise music of the sort that artists like Chris Tomlin produces. This music does not fit neatly into any of the categories discussed in these posts, nor is it simply a recycling of hymns and the like. Having said this, I must confess that very little of this music is of the caliber of great classical, jazz, country, or other of the main categories of music. I agree with the sentiment that content does not determine the genre of the music, and of course artists who are Christian do not necessarily produce music that is distinctively Christian in content.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  70
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2007
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Van Lear Rose
Van Lear Rose by Loretta Lynn (Audio CD - 2004)
4.7 out of 5 stars   (267)