Return to the question
Question
A couple of questions to decide on which tablet to buy...I am deciding between a 10" Android tablet or the 7" Blackberry Playbook...both with HDMI output and hopefully able to connect to shared resources on the home wifi network and stream/play the media files...any suggestion?

Here are my doubts:

1-Can I use this tablet as a media player to play video files (divx, mkv) stored on a shared drive on my home network over wifi (i.e. external hard disk connected to WiFi router as a shared drive)?

2- Do I need an additional software (similar to VLC media player for windows but for the tablet) that I must use to play all kind of video/music formats?

3- Can I do the video streaming over the WiFi home network to the tablet and eventually through the tablet HDMI output watch the movie in a 1080p projector?

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!
Martin
Answer
1-Can I use this tablet as a media player to play video files (divx, mkv) stored on a shared drive on my home network over wifi (i.e. external hard disk connected to WiFi router as a shared drive)?

"You can get a $2 app call tversity from appworld which will allow you to stream media (videos (mkv & divx & more), photos and music) from your pc over wifi. It does do compression on the fly .. but I'm amazed how well the program converts all these formats that they all play on the playbook."

2- Do I need an additional software (similar to VLC media player for windows but for the tablet) that I must use to play all kind of video/music formats?

"The playbook has it own video and audio codec standards. Again, android apps are getting more available for the playbook and I know you can sideload winamp and other android players. Handbrake is a great and easy program for converting videos over to the playbook video format (mp4/AAC)."

3- Can I do the video streaming over the WiFi home network to the tablet and eventually through the tablet HDMI output watch the movie in a 1080p projector?

"With TVersity you can do the streaming over WIFI which I mentioned above and you can buy a $5 micro HDMI cable from Amazon to hook up to your HDTV. If you have a BB touchscreen phone .. you can use it as a remote for your playbook through PB bridge to control your PB media software."

Hope this helps!
Comments