Automotive Deals HPCC Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Philip Kerr forum

Where to start with Bernie Gunther series

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 5, 2011 12:51:56 PM PDT
Bruce Miller says:
I have never read anything by Philip Kerr, but would like to start the Bernie Gunther series. Is there a recommended sequence to start or all of the books independent of each other ? Thanks for any information.

Posted on Apr 22, 2011 11:46:06 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 22, 2011 11:46:22 AM PDT
JGSing says:
I am just starting myself, and I found this site: http://berniegunther.com/
They say that March Violets is the first.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2011 4:13:44 PM PDT
Bruce Miller says:
Thanks very much. I haven't been able to pull up the link, but will try March Violets, Thanks for the information response

Posted on May 12, 2011 7:06:09 AM PDT
I started reading, on my Nook, book #4. I then read 5,6, and and reading Field Gray (#7) now.

I have the first three books, in paperback (one single book) waiting at home, just got it from Amazon.

I don't think it matters - the books are written so that you can jump in whenever.

Posted on May 15, 2011 4:05:28 PM PDT
Some of his other books are worth a read. They are all very good, although Gunther's are the cream. It is best that you read them in the chronological oreder, as they sometime reference prior characters. But you can read them out of order as they are relatively self contained.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 18, 2011 3:29:59 PM PDT
Jeff says:
The Gunther novels really are better if read in order. The first Kerr book I read was A Philosophical Investigation. It's also quite good, as is Hitler's Peace. The rest are fair to middlin'. The Gunther series seems to pick steam as the series goes on, which is quite impressive.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 20, 2011 12:44:01 PM PDT
Bruce Miller says:
thanks very much That will be the start point Again, thank you
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Philip Kerr forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Apr 5, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 20, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions