Customer Discussions > C. S. Harris forum

Can you please make SIMILAR recommendations of other books?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 45 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2011 11:35:34 AM PDT
Wumper says:
I, too, love this series, but now I am out of books. I am looking for similar types of regency books, WITHOUT graphic sex scenes. Actually, any type of wonderful read: romance is okay, lots of explicit sex scenes are not.
I can highly recommend Diana Raybourn's books about Lady Grey and Nicholas Brisbane. These books are fabulous.
Thanks

Posted on Apr 1, 2011 9:00:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 1, 2011 9:01:02 PM PDT
MTanaka says:
Try Ashley Gardner (The Hanover Square Affair). Or Anne Perry's Charlotte and Thomas Pitt series-- Victorian but very good.

Posted on Apr 9, 2011 12:29:08 PM PDT
Megan Bryant says:
Kate Ross' Julian Kestrel books -- perfect!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 11:25:02 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 17, 2011 11:26:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 11:26:02 PM PDT
Carol Mello says:
I loved the Julian Kestrel books. Sadly, there are only 4 of them because Ms. Ross died so young.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2011 11:59:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 18, 2011 12:00:45 AM PDT
Carol Mello says:
I am assuming you want some mystery novels set in the 19th century with a male and female team that includes light romance.

Robin Paige (a husband/wife team) do a Victorian mystery series with heroine Kate Ardleigh (an American) and Sir Charles Finch. They are set in England and have no explicit sex scenes. Not quite as good as C S Harris's novels nor Deanna Raybourn's novels but I enjoy most of them.

Another Victorian mystery series is by author Charles Finch. His gentleman detective is Charles Lennox, the younger son of a baronet. His love interest is female gentlewoman Lady Jane Grey, his neighbor who is a widow.

Author Tasha Alexander does the Lady Emily mysteries which are closer in style to the Deanna Rayburn's Lady Julia Grey series.

Author Anne Perry does another Victorian mystery series besides the Thomas and Charlotte Pitt novels: she also writes the William Monk and Hester Latterly novels.

If you want to move a little forward in time, there are the Honorable Daisy Dalrymple mysteries about the flapper daughter of a Viscount (deceased) who turns amateur dectective after meeting a Scotland Yard dectective at her ancestral home. The author is Carola Dunn. Some books in the series are better than others.

There just aren't many books out there like CS Harris's and Kate Ross's. The period (Napoleanic War decades) is underutilized in mysteries IMHO.

There are the regency romances -- not the current stuff that passes as regencies which all have way too much explicit sex and also lots of errors -- but the Georgette Heyer novels and those authors who truly followed in her footsteps. Heyer is being reprinted. The other non-explicit-sex regency authors are not but you can buy them used.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 18, 2011 12:14:00 AM PDT
Carol Mello says:
Also, somewhat off what you asked for but I like them are author Charles Todd (mother/son team) mysteries about Inspector Ian Rutledge. Takes place just after WW I and Ian has shell shock (nowadays called post traumatic stress disorder) and hears his deceased Scottish sargeant's voice in his head. (Ian was responsible for the scotsman's death although he was following British Army regulations.) He has returned to his job as a Scotland Yard Inspector and his boss hates him because Ian has a gentleman's background of which he (the boss) is jealous.

Ian's boss sends Ian off on all the worst, political tinderbox or hopeless cases.

Ian has occasional love interests but so far nothing permanent. Really, I wish the author team would give Ian a break; torture him less and give him someone who loves him besides his sister.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2011 2:10:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2011 2:13:30 PM PDT
CLG says:
Imogene Robertson Instruments of Darkness: A Novel, Anatomy of Murder and a new one upcoming. Latter half of the 18th century and from what I have listened to so far-- from audible-- pretty good. Oh, if it bothers you, one of the characters is an Anatomist which means 18th century autopsy scenes. But Harris puts in some grisly stuff also.

Posted on Apr 29, 2011 5:09:30 PM PDT
shinergirl says:
I recently discovered a book similar to Sebastian St. Cyr and really enjoyed it. Deadly Engagement: An Alec Halsey Mystery by Lucinda Brandt. She is presently working on her second in the series Deady Affair and it should be out later this year. Another one you may enjoy is India Black by Carol Carr with another in the series due out later this year. This book features a strong female lead character with some potential romantic undertones for future development. Both are in Kindle Format. You have already mentioned my other favorites Lady Julia Grey who will be adding another to her series in July 2011. Can you tell I am anxiously awaiting the followups. I do not believe you will be disappointed in either of my suggestions.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 29, 2011 5:23:20 PM PDT
shinergirl says:
Thank you for this recommendation. I checked it out, liked it and downloaded it to my Kindle. Can't wait to start reading it.
Thanks again.

Posted on May 1, 2011 5:32:47 PM PDT
Everyone has already hit my recs. I have been following Harris (St. Cyr), Raybourn (Lady Julia), Finch (Lennox) and Alexander (Lady Emily) for sometime. These are all extraordinary writers. Between books by these writers, I search and search for some one with similar talent but find only frustration with most recommendations - mediocre writing, cardboard characters! I stumbled on the Kate Ross books and whizzed through all four. I was heartbroken to find that she had died so young. What a loss!

If anyone can make another recommendation (or clone Harris-Raybourn-Finch-Alexander), please let me know.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2011 5:52:56 PM PDT
shinergirl says:
Lucinda Brandt - A Deadly Engagement - A Alec Halsey Mystery and India Black - by Carol Carr.

Posted on May 16, 2011 7:52:24 PM PDT
Delia says:
There are a lot of my favourites listed here, and some great suggestions I will try. For a few more historical detective duos, you could try Victoria Thompson's Gaslight series, similar to Anne Perry but take place in New York.
A very different, but a recent new favorite I found is the Mistress of Death Series by Ariana Franklin, which take place in 14th century England, but are really great. The author recently passed away so there are only about 4 in the series, but if a rumor I read is true there is one more unpublished one her family will hopefully release.
Charles Todd who writes the great Inspector Rutledge series also has a new series with, I think, 3 now out, about a WWI nurse called Bess Crawford.
Ann Granger has a Victorian series with characters Lizzie Martin, a former companion, and Ben Ross, a Scotland Yard inspector and these are fairly light, easy reads.
On my to read list, but have not tried yet (anyone have any opinions ) are the Nell Sweeney series by PB Ryan and Mel Starr's Hugh De Singleton series.

Posted on May 16, 2011 7:55:49 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 19, 2011 9:42:58 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 5:28:52 PM PDT
The Nell Sweeney series is also very good. Similar to the Gaslight series by Victoria Thompson. Very light reads in comparison to the St. Cyr mysteries, but also easier to follow (I admit I sometimes get lost in the historical background of the Napoleonic/Regency era). I enjoyed the series and read through it quickly.

Posted on Jun 1, 2011 12:37:01 PM PDT
MrsMo says:
wow, i'm so glad i stumbled onto this discussion! like some, my reading tastes are a bit strict (no explicit sex, especially foul language consistantly as part of the dialog, etc.) which really makes the field somewhat narrow. i devoured Tasha Alexander's Gaslight Mysteries, what an awesome series that is! also have read all the Raybourn series and cannot wait for another one.

thankfully, there have been a few names mentioned i hadn't come across in my search so will be happily checking those out. i have enjoyed the few Perry books in her Monk series i've read, but am finding it a bit harder to get into the Pitt books as there seems to be so little interaction between Pitt and Charlotte. But i'm only on the 3rd or 4th book so maybe it changes later on? LOL i understand she can't go running around like Hero does in the St. Cyr books, but i would still like to see more happening between the two of them along with the mysteries.

hopefully our favorite authors will begin to write faster so we don't have to wait as long between books. <vbg>

best to all,
MrsMo

Posted on Feb 21, 2012 12:22:08 PM PST
Annie Banan says:
A Regimental Murder (Captain Lacey Regency Mysteries)

This is an excellent series that is similar to some of the already mentioned series. Didn't think I'd like it after the first few pages, but warmed to it quickly. Have read all 9 and am anxiously awaiting next one. A great regency mystery series. Highly recommend!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 21, 2012 5:38:14 PM PDT
Rachel V says:
Found this author by sheer accident....I think his book was .99 cents...so took a chance...Loved it!
His name is Jason Vail...he has written only 3 books...but they were very well written...try him..I think you will like him. Then there Jennifer Ashley...Capt. Lacy series....there is one other author I like...but she writes about Rome when it invaded the British Isles....her first book I read was "Medicus"....again I read it because it was on sale! :) I thought it was tooo Funny....but they are mysteries.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 5:44:08 PM PDT
Kangelop says:
Bruce Alexander's Sir John Fielding is very good also. The first book in the series is Blind Justice. No real romance, but the mystery element is there (and very good).

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 12:20:09 AM PDT
MrsMo says:
thank you! not having romance in a book/series isn't a deal breaker with me tho my preference is for historical mystery/suspense along the lines of Harris, Holt and Heyer. I also enjoy the Gaslight series by Alexander [tho i was VERY put out by the ending of her latest LOL].

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:31:18 AM PDT
Not sure if I've already recommened these (which are not quite as gritty as the St. Cyr series, but are strong on history, mystery and elements of romance): Charles Lennox series by Charles Finch, Lady Julia series by Deanna Raybourn, Lady Emily series by Tasha Alexander, Rannoch series by Tracy (aka Teresa) Grant

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 6:39:21 AM PDT
Oops, now see that I - and many others - already mentioned these. Apologies.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 9:35:58 PM PDT
MrsMo says:
hi constant, i've read the lady julia series [very good stories] and the lady emily series [also very good] but don't have any of the rannoch or lennox series yet. thanks for the suggestions! will go check them out now.

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 9:41:48 PM PDT
MrsMo says:
hey, never apologize for trying to help. i, for one, appreciate it very much!

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 2:24:39 AM PDT
Another mystery series with a strong female lead & no explicit sex is Amelia Peabody by Elizabeth Peters. It takes place in Victorian times & is about her adventures with the archaeologist Emerson in Egypt (some books are set in England too).
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  C. S. Harris forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  45
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 10, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 16 customers

Search Customer Discussions