Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Subscribe & Save Introducing Handmade New Kitchen Scale from AmazonBasics Amazon Gift Card Offer hog hog hog  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage UnchartedBundle Shop Now STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Richard Castle forum

this has to be a joke, right?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 436 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 7, 2009 5:53:35 PM PDT
Batreader says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Sep 8, 2009 11:56:31 AM PDT
mrkleve says:
Not necessarily. I just want to know who's really penning these titles. James Patterson is a good bet since he's very prolific and he's shown up on the show. The other possibility is Stephen J. Cannell. Unless they cycle various authors to write under the "Richard Castle" nom de plume...

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 8, 2009 12:06:51 PM PDT
Batreader says:
I think my point is that at no point is it apparent that Richard Castle is not a real person. It's not quite the same thing as someone writing under a pseudonym. That is usually done to protect the author's real life or differentiate a different writing style / market. What is being done here is ingenious - but also rather cynical.

Posted on Sep 14, 2009 9:37:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 14, 2009 9:38:32 AM PDT
drfugawe says:
I think it's meant to be fun. Many people want to read Richard Castle's book because they are supposed to be clever and fun as well as good mysteries. Since no one but those of us who watch the series have ever heard of this "author", few others will buy the book. Promotion of the show? Of course! Exploitation of the show's characters? Again, of course! Fun? Oh, definitely! Lighten up, Ian. Don't buy it if you think it's over the top. As for me, I pre ordered it. I do fun and silly.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 15, 2009 10:05:04 PM PDT
Batreader says:
I do fun and silly too (-: Not precluded by thinking it's a bit cynical. I work in publishing so maybe I'm too close to this!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 18, 2009 5:08:10 PM PDT
What was that award? The Nom de Plume? And that means? Ah, "pen name". OK.

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 3:27:28 PM PDT
I also think it is James Patterson. Take a look at
Patterson wrote a review

Posted on Sep 21, 2009 3:29:11 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 21, 2009 3:31:13 PM PDT]

Posted on Sep 26, 2009 9:22:37 AM PDT
jakecarew says:
Um, do we have to start a list of books with an author's name when no such author exists (and also not talking about a pseudonym)? First ones that come to mind are the kids' books of Horatio Alger/Uncle Wiggly/Nancy Drew/ Hardy Boys/Bobbsey Twins books had a series of different authors through the years.

Posted on Sep 27, 2009 9:34:01 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 27, 2009 9:35:12 AM PDT
J. Edwards says:
I assume that someone named "Tom Straw" wrote the book, as Castle apparently won his pen name award. There appears to be a crime novelist by that name who has also worked in Hollywood.

And this isn't the first fictional author from ABC - "Gary Troup" was a character from "Lost" who wrote a novel that came out in real life. And NBC has comic books based on "Heroes", too.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2009 1:47:07 PM PDT
Batreader says:
Hmmm! Not sure of the level of logic being applied in some of these answers! 1] having a comic book series based on a TV series isn't relevant. It is obviously a comic books series based on the TV program! 2] Having fictional characters in books isn't relevant, we all understand that the genre is 'fiction'. 3] Gary Troup IS relevant, in that it is a fictional character purportedly writing a book, but my point is not that this has happened before - but that it is being passed off as if the character is real. It is ingenious, but also seems slightly, cynically underhand.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2009 12:56:13 PM PDT
R. Korn says:
very smart. I didn't catch that Tom Straw thing. Makes perfect sense that he must of wrote this book and that is his "shout out".

Posted on Sep 28, 2009 6:31:20 PM PDT
MarsTwain says:
Seems like an awful lot of thought being put into what's basically just cross-promotion. I thought it was cute but I seem to be in the minority. I assumed off the top that it's a TV book (see things like every Star Trek show ever to Supernatural with books on the shelf, some of which aren't too bad) meant to spread the publicity around the same way books written off movie scripts show up in grocery stores before the film launches. It's all about name recognition and really, everything else is frosting. If it's half good, it'd be better than most TV or movie publicity platform books.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 7:14:25 AM PDT
mrkleve says:
As it turns out this is not a book based on the series, other than the "author" is the character from the show.

If you go to this link ( you can see that it's being treated as a real book by a "real" author.

I like the idea; I think it's a fun idea and a fun way for fans of the show who are readers to get even more. Though as I've stated before, I'd like to know who's actually writing the books so I can go check out their other stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2009 10:11:43 AM PDT
A. Nelson says:
I like this idea!

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 3:27:36 PM PDT
MarsTwain says:
Thanks for the link. I think it's a cool idea too.

Posted on Sep 29, 2009 8:17:11 PM PDT
I, personally, can't wait to read about Nikki Heat. I love the show "Castle", and I think that this book will only add to my enjoyment of the show. Think of it like a perk, or something resembling a companion guide. As soon as payday gets here, that book is mine. :) I'll review it and let you know what I think (minus plot spoilers because I really hate it when people do that). Please everyone feel free to do the same.

Posted on Sep 30, 2009 6:03:23 AM PDT
Hey, if Jessica Fletcher could publish a bunch of books about people getting knocked off in Cabot Cove why not Richard Castle? Ian, lighten up a bit. It should be fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2009 7:02:16 AM PDT
Batreader says:
It's our amazing contemporary zeitgeist that if someone says ANYTHING about perhaps something shouldn't be done, sooner or later someone says 'lighten up dude' (-:

Posted on Oct 6, 2009 7:59:45 PM PDT
P. Christie says:
The whole point is about having fun and this book delivers. Even if I hadn't watched Castle, I'd have enjoyed the book.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2009 5:45:08 AM PDT
Batreader says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 7, 2009 6:04:14 AM PDT
I think everyone here realizes that this is a promo tie-in with the show, and that there is no 'real' author named Rick Castle. I believe the OP's point is that, on the amazon page, that is not made clear. In fact, I just read a review from someone talking about how Rick Castle's popular character Derek Storm was killed off and this is his first book with his new character Nikki Heat. It seemed to me that the reviewer completely believed the fake bio.

So - I'm planning to buy this because I love the show, and I think it's a clever idea ... but maybe the promotional nature of the book might have been made clear somewhere.

My vote for real author also goes to James Patterson.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 7, 2009 1:57:51 PM PDT
D. Nagasta says:
well Nathan Fillion did an interview and promoted the promotional tour for the book! So I dont know if he will show up but he made it "sound" that way. Plus if it is in LA why not? I think it a great idea and will make the show even more popular hopefully if the book is good. Any body see any of the subplots like JD Robb Death series not the whole idea but rich guy dedicated cop some of the stroylines have been similar. Plus character Perlmutter from Clive Cussler's books a genius touch makes those of us who read mystery another reason to really listen!! definate buy for me!

Posted on Oct 8, 2009 4:14:45 PM PDT
Can't we just treat this like what it is - a big fun game of pretend that all the fans of the series are playing? If someone not in the know hears about the book, they can play too!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 8, 2009 4:54:34 PM PDT
D. Mckee says:
Um, reading a book like this, which is obviously just a "for pleasure" read, is just for fun. I honestly don't think that anyone else would call reading for pleasure hedonism. I don't think that anyone really thinks that Richard Castle is real. And this is not the first time there has been a book tie-in to a TV show. There was one for Lost called The Bad Twin, Stephen King even did one for his TV movie Rose Red. This is nothing new, and no one is being duped.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 18 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Richard Castle forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  436
Initial post:  Sep 7, 2009
Latest post:  Apr 23, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 31 customers

Search Customer Discussions