Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

Does Amazon honor price mistakes

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 81 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 25, 2010 3:08:14 PM PDT
AccordBill09 says:
Hi I just caught a price mistake on Amazon.com and bought the item. I am pretty new to Amazon buying and was just wondering if they honor the price mistake or is it up to the third party buyer who is selling on Amazon. Thanks

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2010 3:30:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 25, 2010 3:31:09 PM PDT
It you bought the item through Amazon, their customer service will more than likely correct it IF the incorrect price is still advertised. If it's through one of the merchants that sell on Amazon, you go through them.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 25, 2010 3:31:52 PM PDT
OldAmazonian says:
Why do you think the price is a mistake? Sometimes Amazon and even individual sellers will offer slow-moving stock at prices you seldom see elsewhere. If it is a mistake, and not a deliberate deception, then the seller is entitled to cancel the sale at no cost to you. If it is a deliberate deception, for instance offering a pack of several items and shipping only one while claiming to have shipped the whole order, then one option to settle the matter may be Amazon's A-to-Z Guarantee. Another is disputing the charge with your CC issuer. Only once have I dealt with an Amazon storefront seller who was deliberately deceptive, and Amazon's guarantee was helpful then.

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 3:35:13 PM PDT
reg says:
There have been times that something has bee offered at an exceptionally low price. I remember one time it was a TV. Most, if not all, of the orders were canceled. Other times, some have purchased items for a really good deal. It's usually worth a try, especially if you are the one to find it.

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 4:02:35 PM PDT
Amazon, third-party vendors on Amazon, and for that matter any retailer in the US have the right to not honor mistakes that are advertised. If they discover the mistake before the transaction is complete (as in the item has shipped) they will likely cancel the sale.

If you *KNOW* the price is a mistake, you're on ethically shakey ground to take advantage of it. There is nothing wrong with looking for the best price. And there's nothing wrong with accepting extremely favorable terms that someone is offering because they need to make a fast sale. But if you know they didn't intend to be that generous, and you know it's a mistake that they just haven't noticed, taking advantage of the situation is unethical. I'd compare it to sellers who bill buyers for items they never bought because the buyer knows the seller isn't going to notice.

Due dilligence is certainly something everyone should excercise, be they a buyer or a seller. But one should still act in good faith, and in a fair and honorable manner. (And no, the fact that some other party somewhere isn't acting honorably doesn't excuse you from acting honorably.)

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 4:04:42 PM PDT
Sick Daddy says:
you caught the price mistake, then bought the item? Or am I reading it wrong?

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 4:06:51 PM PDT
I've bought items that had a price mistake from a 3rd party seller, and they just cancelled the order as out of stock and re-listed it under a new name. Can't really blame them, but maybe you'll get lucky. Just live with it and don't push it.

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 4:09:51 PM PDT
DVvM says:
If it's a particularly egregious price mistake that a lot of people take advantage of, they'll cancel all orders for that item at that price. If it's a relatively minor mistake, and relatively few people take advantage of it, they'll probably just let it slide. This is pretty much the way all online retailers operate.

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 4:11:29 PM PDT
Chemeng1661 says:
What was it??

Posted on Jul 25, 2010 4:25:25 PM PDT
Peregrinn says:
Warren is right. Under the law, a merchant can choose whether to honor a price mistake or not. Escaping from a mistaken sale is legal for either party (like a buyer who bids $5000 when he meant $5), but some will honor the deal to avoid bad publicity. Large errors are more likely to be voidable than small errors.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 4:00:01 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 6:48:05 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 4:07:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2010 4:12:36 PM PDT
I bought a set of TaylorMade Irons TaylorMade R9 Iron Set (#4 thru PW, AW) for $112.50 this morning. I'm still waiting for the cancellation notice. But ya never know. Maybe it was a close-out.

Warren, if I intend to cheat on my golf score with these clubs, does this second ethical dilemma out-weigh the first? Or maybe cancel out the first? Am I going to hell?

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 4:16:00 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 19, 2011 6:48:06 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 4:22:05 PM PDT
Not from here, you didn't.....Did you order them from Rock Bottom?

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 4:24:58 PM PDT
Lene Jensen says:
A few years back, Amazon advertised a photo printer for like 1/3 of the price. I ordered two. Amazon sent an email saying it was a mistake, but they would honour purchase of one item, and cancelled the second. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 5:18:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2010 5:21:36 PM PDT
Yes, I did! $112.50 with free shipping! But I paid for Amazon Prime so I'm not a college scammer. lol

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 5:20:49 PM PDT
People who selfishly abuse price mistakes from sellers only raise the regular prices for everyone else.

Thanks for screwing us over.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 5:22:45 PM PDT
Oh, wah. You're just jealous because a) you don't know how to play golf and b) you didn't find the deal first. Get over your self-righteous self, Grumpy Babby! I've heard of people who scam the system by creating an alternate user name to avoid the moderators here. Can you believe it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 5:31:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2010 5:34:10 PM PDT
First of all I don't try to take advantage of retailers because I try to treat others the way I would like them to treat me. If you were a shopkeeper and some loafing high schooler put up the wrong price would you want to be stuck selling products at less than their wholesale cost? And second why do you keep insisting that I am "Grumpy Babby"? I am not whoever you think I am and it is annoying that you keep saying that. How would you feel if I came here and said that you were really "Warren Holzem" or someone else? I have seen you accuse a half dozen people of being "Grumpy Babby" whenever you disagree with someone. Not very nice.

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 5:43:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2010 6:05:12 PM PDT
tonyS says:
A few years ago I got my laser printer for 175.00 rather than 375.00 because it was priced wrong on Staples' website. If they had canceled the order I would not have said anything. I had been following the net prices for a few weeks, saw that it was on SALE, and knew that the price was incredibly cheap, however, it's not up to me question why this particular item was so cheap. But they did fix the price an hour or so after my order was placed. I suspect that the "shopkeeper" did not "put up the wrong price" by "some loafing high schooler". Was this morally wrong? Maybe, maybe not. But they could have canceled the sale; they did not.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 5:46:32 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 6:04:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2010 6:10:00 PM PDT
xyz says:
Don't be surprised if they ship you a different product than the one you thought you ordered. There's at least ONE company that had their product identification numbers not matching the product description, so what you SEE is not the product that they think you are ordering.

Edit: I looked it up - it was PC Universe, and they won an award for their innovative web commerce software. Sheesh.

Whoa - they are still at it, apparently.

1 out of 5: "Worst service I have ever experienced. Not only did they send me the wrong monitor, they never responded to my emails nor returned my calls. I am an understanding person and offered them to fix this so I warned them that I would leave this feedback if they would not respond appropriately. Still no response. Save yourself the time, money and trouble and buy from a reputable vendor. Enough said!"
Date: July 15, 2010 Rated by Buyer: Marco C.

/I will say this for them - they did respond to my e-mails and I was able to return the product.

Posted on Jul 26, 2010 6:12:11 PM PDT
rayd says:
Over the years, I have found Amazon to be very understanding, accommodating, helpful and will make every attempt to make perhaps an adjustment or whatever to correct a possible wrong. At times, a third party seller may not always be accommodating....in this case, Amazon will still try or do something to make things right for you. They are easily reached for help, are always polite and professional.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 6:13:25 PM PDT
Well, if they don't want to honor the "mistake" I'm okay with that. I don't expect them to go broke over it. If they do honor it, then I'm a happy gilmore!

You're the only one I've suspected of being Grumpy Babby and while you insist that it's annoying (which I'm sure it is), you still haven't denied it, have you? lol

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2010 6:14:07 PM PDT
The link is gone now. I found it this morning, just browsing and apparently the one I bought sold out or they realized the mistake. Sorry!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  43
Total posts:  81
Initial post:  Jul 25, 2010
Latest post:  13 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions