Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

Does Velocity Express ship to PO. BOXES?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 29, 2012 11:10:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 11:12:29 AM PST
Don says:
I live in the chicagoland area and I always got my books from amazon through USPS, however earlier this month amazon started sending stuff through Velocity Express, well the books I order are for an inmate in jail so I was wondering if they ship to P.O. Boxes? I've tried google, and their website and got no information.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:16:30 AM PST
Grumbler says:
what did velocity express say when you called them?
why didn't you call them?

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 11:19:16 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Dec 27, 2012 8:30:32 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:19:21 AM PST
D.W. says:
Amazon will choose the correct carrier based on the shipping address you enter, so if it is a PO box, it will probably ship USPS.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 11:23:25 AM PST
Don says:
Daniel, it says Velocity Express is shipping my items. So I hope you're right!

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 1:20:27 PM PST
By law, only USPS can deliver to a PO Box.

But don't confuse a PO Box at the Post Office with a private mailbox (PMB) at a mailbox store. They are different things.

Your PO Box address must be entered correctly for some shipping programs to recognize it as a PO Box.

Your Name
PO BOX 12345
Your City, ST 99999

Note that there is no street address associated with the PO Box, and that it specifically says "PO BOX".

Last year, USPS started testing a program in which PO Box holders could get packages from any carrier at their PO Box. This is offered in just very, very select locations, and the address you would use to do so is the street address of the Post Office. (Don't just try this unless you've specifically were offered, and signed-up for this service.) USPS did *not* get permission from the PRC to expand this program beyond the very limited test markets.

So with that exception of the test USPS is doing in limited markets, the law still prohibits receiving packages that do not include "postage" (something the mailer pays to USPS) at a PO Box.

If your package is coming by Velocity Express, your address must not be formatted correctly as a PO Box address, otherwise Amazon's shipping software would choose USPS as the only available option.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 2:03:16 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 2:04:38 PM PST
Don says:
But it is Warren, it is the same address I used all my other times buying books from amazon, it was saved.

The other books I have ordered were mailed correctly and used USPS. That's why I was like WTF? Could it be because I've ordered them to come in the same package?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Nov 29, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 29, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions