Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

Why does Washington D.C. not have representation in Congress?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 25 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 7, 2008 3:49:26 PM PST
I understand that our nation's capital, in the District of Columbia, does not have a voting member in Congress. Is this because our Founding Fathers were afraid that a state that contains the nation's capital would have more "power" in the nation's affairs compared to the other states?

Do they really have a situation of "taxation without representation?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 3:50:28 PM PST
D.C. is not a state, therefore it doesn't get a rep.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 3:53:40 PM PST
Why was our nation's capital put in a district, not in a state?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 3:54:29 PM PST
Sick Daddy says:
seperation of state and government

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 3:54:37 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2008 5:22:25 AM PST
William B says:
I presume they are like Guam and Puerto Rico. They pay taxes... to their own local government and not to the feds. Therefore, no federal taxes = no federal representation (Congress, that is).

If D.C. wants voting represenation in Congress, then it would have to figure out how to oprate with their current tax revenues going to the feds instead of local coffers.

------

On edit: I presumed wrong. Please see my later post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 3:57:19 PM PST
Lenny I think you need to take American History. It's all explained in that simple high school text book. Sometimes you might catch it in earlier Social Study books too.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 3:57:44 PM PST
Mich says:
Try this, it should tell you all you want to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington%2C_D.C.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 4:03:21 PM PST
Mich, thanks for the link. Will read the whole thing later.

I have gaps in my knowledge. Someone asked me this question earlier today, and I did not have a good answer for him, and so I am making it a point to research it this evening, mostly because I am interested.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 4:25:41 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 4:32:34 PM PST
W. Cox says:
What??! Washington D.C. is in Washington D.C. In between VA and MD

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 4:35:34 PM PST
Why is this on Amazon? You may want to try a History Class and look into the Constitution a bit

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 4:50:31 PM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 4:53:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 7, 2008 5:03:14 PM PST
Sounds like the citizens of DC pay less money in federal taxes than they get in kind back from the federal government.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 5:14:40 PM PST
W. Cox says:
I didn't post this. I don't need a history class either. I know where D.C. is located! I am in VA.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 5:16:25 PM PST
Eric says:
Article One of the United States Constitution does not allow for Washington, D.C. to have Congressional representation. For them to have voting members in Congress, they would have to have an amendment added to the US Constitution that would negate parts of Article One. If you know anything about how the Constitution can be amended, you know that it is particularly difficult to pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 5:22:02 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 30, 2008 1:31:03 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 5:38:51 PM PST
Actually - Virginia AND Maryland donated land for DC- when all the important buildings were put on the Maryland piece, Virginia took their piece back ( HA! )- Look at a map, you can see it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 5:50:57 PM PST
S. Higgins says:
I actually live in southwest D.C. I was shocked when I moved here and found that the license plates actually SAY "Taxation without representation." But it's true. We have a mayor, but no congress-person.
Also, DC is NOT a part of Virginia or Maryland. It drives me nuts when people don't know that - particularly when I'm filling out a form online where I have to put the state I live in and Washington, DC isn't one of the options.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 7:10:30 PM PST
John Doe says:
washington dc is not a state it is in the state of virgina

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 11:12:46 PM PST
Exiled1 says:
Yes, and you can help: http://www.dcvote.org/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2008 11:31:37 PM PST
Trust Me says:
John Doe, you don't get it. Washington, D. C. is not any any state whatsoever. It is in the District of Columbia, a federal district not within any state of the union. It is politically separate from any state by design. No state hosts the federal capital, and also, no state has any hold of the seat of the federal government.

The framers of the Constitution did not allow for it to have a Representative in Congress, and since it is not a state, it has no Senator either. Over 200 years after the adoption of the Constitution, some people think that this situation should be rectified. The opposition, however, is basically unwilling to dilute their state's political power. Specifically, more conservative representatives know that if D.C. is given a representative, it will elect a more liberal representative. A recent compromise failed, so the situation continues.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 1:09:44 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 7, 2008 3:44:04 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 2:13:01 AM PST
They DO pay federal taxes!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 4:02:00 AM PST
N. Richardson-
Only the few who WORK pay any taxes- DC is a haven for freeloaders. The people who work in DC tend to live in Virginia,
(OK- a few of them live in Maryland or West Virginia).

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 5:18:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 8, 2008 5:23:37 AM PST
William B says:
It appears Eric and N. Richardson are correct.

I found numerous references to Federal tax returns in DC income tax return instructions (google is great!).

Also, I found the following interesting "opinion brief" on this subject at the Heritage Foundation website:

http://www.heritage.org/Research/LegalIssues/wm1569.cfm
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  25
Initial post:  Jan 7, 2008
Latest post:  Jan 8, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions