Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

Buckyballs.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 164 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 26, 2012 10:31:35 AM PDT
I, for one, am very disappointed in Amazon's decision to stop selling Buckyballs. The product's company has gone well above and beyond their due diligence in terms of providing adequate warnings for proper use. This arbitrary attempt to have them outlawed sets a disturbing precedent for all products that can be harmful if misused. It's bad for commerce, and therefore Amazon. Thoughts?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 10:38:10 AM PDT
"I, for one, am very disappointed in Amazon's decision to stop selling Buckyballs."

Amazon didn't decide, the Consumer Product Safety Commission pulled them from the marketplace. Not a whole lot Amazon or other retailers can do at that point.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 10:39:34 AM PDT
medialint says:
I can see both sides of the argument but I take solace in the fact that my two year old doesn't try to eat things which aren't food. Blessings++

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 10:45:55 AM PDT
http://www.cnn.com/2012/07/25/health/cpsc-sues-magnet-maker/index.html?hpt=he_c2

"Several retailers, including Amazon and Brookstone, have agreed to stop selling the magnets."

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 10:48:29 AM PDT
That's because you are a good parent. That's the best form of safety regulation there is!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 10:54:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 10:55:07 AM PDT
Interesting. I certainly don't blame them - the CPSC has lawsuits on the ground, why wouldn't Amazon temporarily cooperate, if not just to avoid an extremely likely (and easily dodged) lawsuit?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 11:03:49 AM PDT
Oops, sorry, I started a thread about this, too. I didn't see this one.

There are many magnetic toys targeted to both children and adults. Are the companies who sell them going to have to redesign them so they can't be swallowed? Does this mean hot dogs should be outlawed?

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:16:43 AM PDT
Kahlua says:
Again, government intervention to "help" the irresponsible. The box has plenty of warnings on it. And besides who is stupid enough to get OR even mimic a tongue earring?? Seriously. I bow my head in shame that we have no common sense left.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:20:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 11:21:59 AM PDT
Gina Marie says:
CPSC is "actually suing the firm to stop sale and to issue a recall of the product." Which means, Buckyballs isn't banned quite yet. However, the CPSC is still moving forward with a lawsuit that is seeking a stop-sale of Buckyballs (its first stop-sale in 11 years). You can still purchase them directly from their website.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 11:28:42 AM PDT
I completely understand the reason for doing it; I just find the move disappointing and short-sighted.

Also, I should mention that I am completely biased in this debate. I am absolutely in love with Buckyballs and I would be heartbroken to see them disappear.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 11:30:45 AM PDT
tonyS says:
Sadly, warnings mean nothing when people will sue any company, at any time, over anything - valid or not.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:33:21 AM PDT
Lizzie B says:
Small batteries are a much greater danger, are they going to stop selling those too?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 11:34:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 26, 2012 11:34:49 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"The box has plenty of warnings on it."

They must work - don't recall hearing of anyone ever swallowing one of the boxes...

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:47:00 AM PDT
Egó,òr says:
I'm shocked that they're still available on Ebay. Let the price gouging begin.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 11:51:55 AM PDT
Egó,òr says:
Would these be any different? They come in bigger sizes as well.

MAGCREDIBLE® Magnets - 1/8" x 1/16" Rare Earth Disc, Package of 100

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 11:55:27 AM PDT
tonyS says:
They're not, but the CPSC probably hasn't gotten to all the knock-offs, yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 11:56:51 AM PDT
Those aren't knockoffs. We have some we use to hang things on the fridge. They are not packaged for entertainment.

They're still pretty much the same thing, though.

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:24:38 PM PDT
widowTink says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 12:44:03 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 26, 2012 2:51:05 PM PDT
SEwing says:
I love these things and I wish I had found this discussion earlier. Groupon just had an offer for Buckyballs for $15 bucks or $18 if you got color. They were half off and they sold over 25,000 units. Amazon and others may have stopped selling them but they definitely made up for it by offering them on Groupons. If they have the offer again I will attach the link.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:42:06 PM PDT
I love my Buckyballs too. I have a set in my office, and people kept playing with them so every few weeks I bought another set for another co-worker. I think I bought about 10 sets so far. They still have them at the Buckyballs website, but they are expensive there. :(

https://www.getbuckyballs.com/buckyballs-only-marketed-to-adults-cpsc-press-release/

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 3:47:23 PM PDT
eec says:
To KE: "...who is stupid enough to get OR even mimic a tongue earring?? " Clearly, you don't work in a middle school. I've taken them away from the kids who DO have them on their tongues, lips, etc. and explain to them why not to do it. How I notice they are the magnets and not real piercings? Kids say, "Ow these magnets really hurt!" And yet, they do it. As to reading the package insert? Nope, they don't do that. Nor do the parents. And yes, I know that this reply is a grammatical disaster, and I choose to let it slide!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 7:43:47 PM PDT
I would love that! Thanks!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 7:46:48 PM PDT
Have you purchased them in different colors? I was curious if they taste different from the originals. Mmmmmmm... delicious.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 26, 2012 8:01:36 PM PDT
I have purchased the other colors. I can't say that I tasted them though, so I can't give much feedback there. :D Personally, I would not purchase the other colors - the color rubs off on your hands and after playing with them long enough, they were just like the silver ones.

I do play with mine every day while on conference calls. It keeps me focused, and not reading emails, checking texts, etc.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  73
Total posts:  164
Initial post:  Jul 26, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 5, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 10 customers

Search Customer Discussions