Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

Gold Box Deal: Foscam Pan/Tilt Network Camera

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 60 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 5, 2012 12:18:10 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 1:15:15 AM PST
Mr Book says:
Do yourself a favor and get the izon camera instead.
-Higher quality
-Easy install
-Viewable anywhere
-Easy recording to iZons own servers
-Motion/Sound Alerts
-Easily moved room to room
-Fee free
-Outstanding free app
-Add as many cameras as you need (I have 8)
-$70 price point
-Easily hidden if desired
-Responsive Tech Support
-The Larry Greenberg review of the iZon on YouTube is very good.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 12:26:48 AM PST
D'ARCY says:
An explanation for your advice would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:00:10 AM PST
Albert K says:
I was very close to buying this until I read the #1 review for the 1 out of 5 star rating. I would advise you read this review prior to buying as well. Such practices are unethical and I am not buying anymore:

"If you carefully read most of the 5-Star review, you will notice that they are written by Foscam's own people. And majority of the reviews do not have "Amazon Verified Purchase" stamps. I believe that their tech support is one of the worst in the industry however, these reviewer mentioned name such as Sean, Calvin, Ricky and many more (all fake name) and give them a credit for wonderful support. I have tried to call for support many times, but nobody answered my call at all. I have also noticed that they are adding 5-Star reviews every day. Total reviews are double in last few weeks which is not normal since this product is not really the hot cake in the market.
This product does NOT deliver all promised features. Installing process is not user friendly. Remote view is not possible for non-tech people. You have to go through different venders for software installation and pay for it and there is no free app designed for this product. I do not think that your privacy and security will be maintained properly using this product because they are not renowned and trustworthy.
Using this product with Apple's Airport extreme base station is not as easy as I thought. I spend long time to make this product works but finally gave up. Nobody wants to spend their valuable time in the complex and junk product like this since there are plenty of easy options available in the market.
I do not recommend this product. If you buy it, you have to spend your paper, ink, tape, gas and time to return it. I suggest amazon to genuinely verify purchase and stop fake reviews. Amazon, please delete all fake reviews otherwise product return volume will definetely rise."

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 1:41:51 AM PST
WakkyWabbit says:
Mr. Book,

Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 3:11:13 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2012 3:11:49 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 3:44:11 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 5, 2012 3:44:34 AM PST
WildCat13 says:
"Mr Book says:
Do yourself a favor and get the izon camera instead."

Can the izon see at night?
Can the izon use a wired Ethernet connection?

No times 2 = a dealbreaker.

Also it looks like you have to use the izon servers for remote veiwing? The Foscam may be harder to setup but it's a a direct connection from your iphone to the foscam webcam. Not iphone to an izon server to your web cam.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:55:32 AM PST
Never heard of Foscam. Kind of looks like R2D2.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 3:57:39 AM PST
Woody1 says:
Here is a review of four cameras including Foscam, iZon, Withings and BabyPing. Since there is no agenda in the review I suggest you read it.
http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2012/09/04/best-baby-monitor/

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:25:26 AM PST
dammitsomuch says:
I owned this for a few hours. Returned it. Couldn't get it to work with my network.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:33:57 AM PST
I purchased this camera two years ago, on day 3 it stopped panning and tilting, by day 5 the camera failed. Amazon took it back - thank you. Went with Panasonic network cameras, which cost 2-3 times more and don't have night vision. However they work.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 4:47:28 AM PST
jkd80401 says:
Thank you for the informative link. You just made a grandfather's choice much easier! I might have clicked on the wrong button when I tried to say 'yes' thinking you post added to the discussion.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 4:52:21 AM PST
dianels says:
Interesting comments. I thought I might want this, but will instead wait and read more comments throughout the day....

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:12:25 AM PST
Nisey says:
I have the Sharx camera and while it is very pricey (I bought the SCNC2700W $285+tax) I find the picture quality great and the customer service exceptional. I had some issues setting up the camera to be accesible outside my home. I sent them an email and right away I got a return email asking if they could call me the next day at a certain time. I was at work and was called away to a meeting thereby missing their call. They proceeded to continue to call me a number of times, which impressed me the most. I made arrangement to talk to their tech guy "number 18" at a time when I would be home. He called me again promptly at the arranged time. He spent almost an hour on the phone with me until we realized the problem was my router had some manual setting which were interfering with the automatic camera set up (UPNP). I am not saying you should go out and spend such a high amount on a camera, but I would be really carefull about how good and how responsive the tech support is. If you are like me and not a network genius you will need help. Does you no good to have a camera that sits in the box cause the number you call for help gets you no where.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 5:17:17 AM PST
cybersherrif says:
I tend to agree, although I am unfamiliar with this particular unit. I have 6 iZons in two separate homes. Definitely agree their tech support is terrific. They are like"dogs on a bone" when you call with a problem. My first iZon was impossible to install...tech support had no better luck initially, but didn't give up. Over several pre-scheduled telecons, we got it up and running. I then bought 5 more and installed them out of the box without difficulty.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:38:28 AM PST
Xairboater says:
I ordered one of these at this great price. I bought one several months ago for close to double the $$ to use to monitor grandchild/crib. I have several Panasonic cams but they are not IR like this and it works great! I would highly recommend for the price. I didn't think it was difficult to set up.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:40:03 AM PST
Dave says:
I'm surprised at all the negative posts. I guess the tone was set by the first post. This is a great price. I own this camera and love it. It's features are great: wireless, pan & tilt even when using an app on your smartphone, & night vision. I was very impressed with the night vision indoors. Night vision doesn't work so well if it's pointed outside looking through your window, because the infrared lights reflect off the glass at night, but indoors it works great! Sure, the hardest part is probably setting up the port forwarding on your router so you can access it from the internet or your smartphone. If you're not tech savvy, I'm sure the average teenager can do it for you. Otherwise, this is a great price for a camera with these features!

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:45:38 AM PST
John says:
I own multiple foscam IP cameras and they all work great. Setting them up is not easy, but also not impossible. You will need to know how to port forward on your own router to be able to view the camera from the internet be it from your smartphone/tablet/computer. They work great on wireless network, but be aware that if you are viewing these from the internet your OWN upstream will be a limiting factor. Most ISPs provide 1 mbps up and if you have multiple people watching you could run into some issues. You can not beat the features on this IP camera for the price listed above.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:57:21 AM PST
Khrystsina says:
I purchased it about 2 months ago. The quality of the images is good. The only thing is installation, it would not connect to the network. If you google the issue, the solution will come up right away and is related to the IP address. Easy install after that. I could not get it to work on my tablet yet though.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 5:59:57 AM PST
DT says:
We've had a couple of Foscam IP cameras for several months, got them back in Feb '12. Ours are actually the 8918W, got them in a 2-pack that also included the optional larger antennae. Pretty easy configuration (use the ethernet port initially). Our home/office network uses static IP assignments, which is handy for these, otherwise, FosCam provides a little "discovery" app so you can find the IP assigned to the cameras.

The construction is solid, and the included power supply has a decent length cord. They're easy to place, and include some hardware for mounting them on walls, ceilings, etc. As mentioned, we're using the larger (~12") antennae so they connect without issue any place in our house (up or downstairs).

The IR works really well, it's a touch visible, so if you're using this to monitor kids, there's an array of faint red lights they'll be able to see (and could be a little frightened by it ... it's a little creepy). This can be toggled on or off.

The pan control is also reasonably quick and totally quiet. You can pan around to pretty much any angle, I'd say like a 270 degree "dome" of range, of course limited by your placement. There's a mode you can set where the camera will auto-pan back-and forth. You can also swap left/right, up/down, to get proper orientation of the video stream.

The video quality is OK. There are two quality settings: 320x240 and 640x480, with the smaller resolution providing higher frame-rate.

We use the "push" mode in a browser to connect (Safari on OSX), but there's a IE specific option that uses an Active/X control, never tested it, supposed to be a little more responsive. The web interface gives you control over the refresh rate, IR toggle, pan controls, auto-pan toggle, resolution, screen capture, plus utilities for uploading new firmware, diagnostics, settings, etc.

We also use the free version of CamViewer for iOS. Works good with the 8919Ws, same controls as the built-in web UI, easy to setup cameras, switch between them (it doesn't allow concurrent viewing ... the web UI does, simply open each camera in a separate window/tab).

We've never gotten audio to work, though I never spent much time with it. The Active/X control is supposed to support audio right out of the box, the non-IE browser solution requires downloading an additional audio plugin. Apparently the pay version of the iOS app we're using now supports audio on these cameras as well. Again, audio was very low priority for us.

So bottom line: our FosCam product has worked well for us and was a decent value. If these cameras improve on any of the features, they're probably even better.

If anyone has any specific questions about use, configuration, networking, I'd be happy to answer.

Links:

CamViewer for iOS
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/camviewer-for-ip-webcams-audio!/id416551665?mt=8

Foscam 8919W 2-pack
Foscam Pan And Tilt Wireless IP Camera with 9bdi antennas 2 pack FI8918W

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:00:18 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 5, 2012 6:00:59 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:06:28 AM PST
D. Trinkle says:
I am far from a Tech person and I set up two cameras myself and I am able to check the cameras remote. I did have to go to an external site but I did not need to pay anything. I had to learn things - but I figured it out. I used an no-ip site to set up. Also, prior to setting up the first camera, I was worried as some reviews made it seem impossible without help. So, I emailed foscam and advised that I was going away and really wanted set up before I left. They did call me back but I had already figured out how to take care of it. The instructions could be set up a bit differently to understand, I believe I searched the net and found some easier to follow instructions and screen shots that got me through the process. For an App I believe I did pay but wanted something with extra features, I am using IP Can Viewer maybe Pro?????? Having these cameras made me feel much better. Also, if you go check out some apps - many have these Cams as they will reference it in their APP review.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 6:58:01 AM PST
The Saint says:
YOu have go to be kidding. I have 3 of these cameras. One bought from Amazon and the other 2 I bought from Foscam. All 3 have been setup with port forwarding through my router which I monitor with the paid Foscam Pro app on my iPad. There is no fee to see my cameras other than the one time fee for foscam pro which allows me to see all the camera on a single page. Otherwise I would have to use separate browser windows. I have had these cameras for almost 1 year now. The only time I used tech support was in the configuration of a piece of software that I purchased from them. I used email and they were very responsive. Your comments may lead one to inaccurate conclutions about the Foscam cameras.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:18:21 AM PST
techsavy says:
Hardly 43% off. Last week the camera was $69 right here on Amazon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 5, 2012 7:22:13 AM PST
tonyS says:
That was 38% off. Math is simple.

Posted on Dec 5, 2012 7:32:59 AM PST
MC says:
Have 2 already. Ordering a 3rd.
A bit of a pain to set up but once you do they work great.
I use IP Camera Pro app by Robert Chou, 1st on Android, now on Iphone for remote viewing.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  41
Total posts:  60
Initial post:  Dec 5, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2012

Search Customer Discussions