Was it really worth it

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 28, 2008 9:08:56 AM PST
MDSasquatch says:
Wal-Mart Worker Dies In Black Friday Rush
Man Trampled By Shoppers After Stores Opened

POSTED: 11:29 am EST November 28, 2008

NEW YORK -- Police said that a Wal-Mart worker has died after being trampled by a throng of unruly shoppers shortly after the Long Island store opened Friday.

Nassau County police said the 34-year-old worker was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead at about 6 a.m., an hour after the store opened.

Police also said a 28-year-old pregnant woman was taken to a hospital for observation.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:13:37 AM PST
TL Dragon says:
That is so seriously Effed up it boggles the mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:22:04 AM PST
MDSasquatch says:
I just hope they have video and find the people responsible so they can be jailed for a long time.

Trampled to death over DVDs and worthless junk, real nice

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:24:07 AM PST
Not surprising, but sad and a terrible loss to their families.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:41:24 AM PST
You think the termination letter has already been prepared for the store manager? Time for Walmart to minimize their liability for the lawsuit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:45:25 AM PST
SiliconeDiva says:
They won't fire anyone over that. How could they?

I used to work retail on Black Friday. I would see people get into fist fights and screaming matches over stuff that really wouldn't matter on any other day. Now I avoid stores on Black Friday...there is no deal that is worth the hassle.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:55:34 AM PST
C. Smith says:
I love on long island and seen this on the news this morning, I was in shock, For a few dvds and other junk someone had to lose their life over it, These people should really be ashamed of themselves. They shut the store down just after the doors opened. That is still no excuse. I feel so bad for these people who lost their family members.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 9:57:45 AM PST
ck says:
And saddest of all -- apparently some of the tramplers still queued up for those "great deals" and had to be sent out when the store was closed for the police to secure the scene and investigate.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 10:02:22 AM PST
Right. All those people who think it is worth it to literally fight over stuff like this (not necessities) are nuts.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 10:11:33 AM PST
Nanciejeanne says:
I don't understand it either. They do sort of build this day up for their own benefit. I think the stores like it frenzied so people get all jacked up and buy. The love to show news clips of people camping out in front of stores, etc. People get crushed and trampled at concerts and sporting events too (remember that soccer game somewhere where people were crushed at a fence?)

Crowds get out of hand fast. They seem to effect people's personalities, too. Like it is okay to yell and push or something. I was in Times Square on New Year's Eve once, and when they moved the wooden horses to open the streets, you better move fast or you would be crushed. I feel bad for the family of the worker. I am also sorry for some of the shoppers who may have been involved, but were just being pushed so they had to move, too (or risk falling and being trampled themselves.) Did no one notice that someone was hurt? I guess even if they did they probably got shoved along. Why don't they just hand out tickets in a line or something so people wouldn't have to run? People would probably steal other people's tickets or sell them to the people in the back of the line.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 10:11:41 AM PST
Carrie says:
I actually stood in line this morning (1st time ever) for a flat screen. Everyone was nice, polite & we quietly walked (no running at all) to the proper line when the door opened. We decided if there was any indication that the group was going to turn "mob" we would leave early - no point in it - but it didn't happen at all.

I can't believe that people get all worked up & feel they have to run for deals. Media driven mentality?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 10:21:18 AM PST
Diane-too says:
This is so sad.

Reminds me of the first "shopper rage" experience I had years ago: a woman literally ripped a discounted sweater from my hands. I was too startled and shocked to react, beyond thinking "OMG!"

Society is a mess: the ME & I WANT mentality has a) been socially (and financially) rewarded multi-fold, and b) personal responsibility has become as extinct as the dodo bird.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 10:35:18 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 2, 2010 3:22:25 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 10:43:39 AM PST
C. Smith says:
THey did shut down the store asap. I did put that up eariler.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2008 10:48:04 AM PST
Will says:
These stores should have off-duty cops on hand for crowd control outside, but employees should not be standing by the doors either--perhaps having electronic locks that would open the doors with store personnel deeper inside the stores would prevent tragedies like this?

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 4:35:36 AM PST
SLAYER says:
Black
Friday
Freakers

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:00:02 AM PST
NOBODY says:
That is totally ruthless greed. I have never, and would never, participate in anything like that. I won't even go to the local Golden Corral Restaurant on Veterans Day for the free meal to veterans because of that.
In my opinion, cities should pass ordinances prohibiting people from getting in line and camping out for these events days before. It shouldn't be up to the retailer to decide.
My final thoughts: SELFISH, DISGUSTING BEHAVIOR!!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 5:09:27 AM PST
lc says:
2012----San Antonio, Texas, in a Sears store, one man argued with customers and punched one in order to get to the front of the line. This prompted a man with a concealed carry permit, to pull his gun said Matthew Porter, "It was a little chaotic" public information officer of the San Antonio Police Department.

More like Savages of Black Friday sales.

Posted on Nov 28, 2012 5:21:27 AM PST
JHP says:
This is really nothing new. Most here are probably too young to remember stories of the tramplings and fights during the Macy's and Gimbles' "bargain basement sales" years ago. They were no less violent.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Nov 28, 2008
Latest post:  Nov 28, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions