Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

UPS suspends Ground Delivery Gaurantees until Dec, 26

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 89 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 20, 2012 8:02:24 AM PST
"Due to holiday volume, UPS Ground delivery guarantees are suspended until December 26, 2012. All other guaranteed UPS Services will be delivered within 90 minutes of the normal commit time."

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:07:58 AM PST
What this means is anything scheduled to delivered by UPS Ground between now and Dec 24 is no longer guaranteed to arrive within that time frame.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:18:06 AM PST
I placed an order with a different website that was supposed to be delivered before Christmas. UPS changed the expected delivery to December 28. UPS is not openly advertising this but you can see it posted the tracking page.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:20:22 AM PST
SLAYER says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:21:11 AM PST
bob says:
I'm curious what they would tell their big customers like Amazon.com.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:31:43 AM PST
Houston Guy says:
I wonder if this will cause delays when Prime members like myself purchase an item and pay and extra $3.99 for next day delivery and Amazon ships it ground which normally would arrive within one day. I have learned that next day delivery does not always mean next day air service. Amazon needs to be letting customers know about this or switch to FedEx.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:38:07 AM PST
medialint says:
Second day service isn't ground. Ground service is slower and is usually the most economical way to sent heavy/large packages. Sure your package might also travel in a ground truck, but I don't believe this applies to overnight or second day service.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:39:22 AM PST
Notice the word Ground, Amazon always ships 2 day or pay for 1 day delivery UPS if you use a vendor from Amazon they might use Ground and would fall into that category...they must be very busy this year which could be a good sign for the economy or maybe not it could mean people are only buying online...who can blame them nobody ever got shot in an online store.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:40:01 AM PST
Bixillarla says:
I am sure Amazon knows about the non gurantee for Ground and will ship it accordingly to arrive within the 1-2 days if you are a Prime member.

I ordered all my Christmas Gifts 2 days and ago which are coming in 3 packages, 1 arrived yesterday and 2 are scheduled to be delivered today with no problems. 2 are coming by UPS and 1 is coming by Fedex.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 8:43:42 AM PST
Houston Guy says:
I have ordered many items and paid for next day service. It arrived next day by being shipped from a warehouse that has a one day ship time per UPS. Amazon sends it ground in that case. In some cases they do send it next day air saver, but not all. The Amazon terms of service says that next day delivery does not mean next day air. It only means the item will arrive within the stated time frame. But if UPS is not going to honor the ground commitment I do not see how this will work. Same goes for 2nd day shipments, as a prime member my shipments are shipped via 2nd day service at no charge. 98% of those are shipped via UPS ground, not 2nd day air.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 8:55:47 AM PST
>>>>
What this means is ...
<<<<

What this means is that shippers cannot get refunded for late deliveries. It is an administrative thing they do every year. They announce the exact dates each year when the holiday schedule is published in July.

And this year's period that it applies to is shorter than last year's. It has been trending downwards for many years as the technology of logistics keeps getting better.

The reality is that unless there is a weather event, or some other emergency, Ground packages actually are more likely to advance *faster* than the normal schedule, because in addition to all the normally scheduled runs, there are extra runs of intercity feeders, too.

>>>>
I placed an order with a different website that was supposed to be delivered before Christmas. UPS changed the expected delivery to December 28.
<<<<

Changed? Or is that the day established by when the shipper tendered the package to UPS?

There are some situations in which a package being shipped from one end of the country to a remote spot on the other end of the country takes 6 business days. That means that companies promising delivery by Christmas might have to use something other than ground shipping if they didn't ship by Friday, December 14.

The closer the point of shipment is to the point of delivery, the later they can still use Ground, and get it there by Christmas. Generally if you're talking less than 200 miles, Friday, December 21 would be the last day.

But I very much doubt that UPS *changed* the scheduled delivery date so far ahead of the scheduled delivery date. I am more sure that the shipper simply didn't tender the package early enough based on how far it has to go.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:04:30 AM PST
D. Randle says:
This is another reason why FedEx is so much better overall than the Unorganized Parcel Service. Amazon should switch after this and give FedEx all their business from now on. I'd certainly be will to pay an extra $5-$10 for Prime just to know my packages were being shipped with FedEx rather than UPS. In fact, Amazon should offer that as an upgrade to the Prime membership - $85-$90/yr for FedEx service. I'd pay for that - and based on some of the angry comments I've been reading online concerning UPS's latest debacle, I think there's probably thousands of more Prime customers just like me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:13:59 AM PST
>>>>
This is another reason why FedEx is so much better overall than the Unorganized Parcel Service.
<<<<

Sorry, but FedEx suspends some guarantees, and moves others to later in the day at this time of the year, too. This issue is NOT unique to UPS.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:16:07 AM PST
J. Black says:
This is just affetced my amazon order that when I placed it on Dec 17th that said it would be here for christmas. I ordered on my non-prime acct because it was my amazon mom acct and it had a video game coupon for $10 off. I had to place 2 other small items to get to $25. I placed all other orders on my prime. The non-prime order did not ship till today. It is now saying delivery next friday. Lukcily we have 2 birthdays so I guess I can use the items for that. Still not sure who is to blame, since amazon promised delivery when I placed my order, it took 3 days for them to ship it or the carrier they choose changed the date.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:19:26 AM PST
>>>>
The non-prime order did not ship till today.
<<<<

You see, that's the problem: Shippers not tendering packages on time. The annual suspension of carrier guarantees is not the issue.

(BTW... Amazon doesn't get guarantees on each package, but they get an overall service-level guarantee which doesn't change for the holidays. But the key still is when Amazon ships, not when you order.)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:22:23 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:24:49 AM PST
Sl Judge says:
I have had UPS show up at my door on Christmas Day. I have faith in them, but I can totally understand them not wanting to guarantee it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:36:34 AM PST
>>
The reason Fedex is better than UPS is because it is non-union. You get this kind of bs with unions.... oh, we don't want our poor little employees to work too hard..... and you can't hire temporary non-union workers to fill the gaps.
<<

Not only is this ignorant, it's factually inaccurate. UPS has tons of non-union temporary workers working for the holidays.

Also, I hope you enjoy Christmas Eve and Christmas off... and New Years... you know, because of "bs with unions."

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:46:59 AM PST
F. Tan says:
I am a Prime member. UPS usually ships my orders ground and it arrives on time.

I ordered something a few minutes ago and instead of saying it will arrive Dec 24, Amazon chose Dec 22, Saturday delivery.

So I believe Amazon is working around this.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 9:51:48 AM PST
ratmotor says:
"I ordered something a few minutes ago and instead of saying it will arrive Dec 24, Amazon chose Dec 22, Saturday delivery."

Same here, F.T.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:23:39 AM PST
FlamingoNut says:
Maybe they're just saying that and it actually has to do with the awful weather out in the midwest? Wouldn't be the first time...

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:25:17 AM PST
J. C. Sedman says:
I don't know about delivery times but FedEx likes to leave all my packages at the door, knock and run. UPS makes me sign for everything. I feel much better about getting my items from UPS so I don't have something sitting outside all day because I wasn't home. My UPS delivery guy will even find me at the bus stop waiting on my kids and have me sign for a package down there. I'm really rather pleased with the services of UPS.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 10:36:24 AM PST
Jeannette C. says:
Both fedex and ups knock and run for me. Which is fine. I hate having to sign for packages.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:38:18 AM PST
L. F. Hunter says:
>>>> Due to holiday volume, UPS Ground delivery guarantees are suspended until December 26, 2012. All other guaranteed UPS Services will be delivered within 90 minutes of the normal commit time.

Interesting. If UPS do not have any "storage facilities" of any significance, as has been articulated many times on the forum, then I wonder where they "store" these parcels?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2012 10:43:10 AM PST
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  54
Total posts:  89
Initial post:  Dec 20, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 26, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions