Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

Tax on a back-ordered item

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 6, 2012 5:42:35 AM PST
Hark says:
In June I placed an order for a book (Quick Pick item), but it was out of stock and didn't ship. During that time, Amazon wasn't collecting tax on purchases from my state. I believe it was around September when that changed.

Now the item is ready to ship, and when checking the invoice, tax has been added to my total. I realize that the tax is owed. I am not questioning that; however, my question is whether it is legal for Amazon to collect the tax on an item that wasn't being taxed at the time of purchase. Thanks for any info!

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:48:59 AM PST
Frank Levine says:
Notice that you weren't charged till it shipped....
Blame your State for having sales tax not Amazon for collecting it.
And yes it is legal

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:55:56 AM PST
W. Mcbride says:
Yes, I think it comes down to when the time of purchase was. If you paid for the item when you placed the order, my guess is you would not have paid sales tax. But if they didn't charge you until it became available after Amazon had started collecting sales tax, then yes, you would owe sales tax.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:57:50 AM PST
Joobs says:
The happened to many people the weekend the tax change went in effect. If the order wasn't process and prepared for shipping before the change, you get charged the tax when it is. Amazon did give you the same price as when you ordered in June, which they aren't even required to do, but it's just good business.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:00:30 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Nov 6, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 6, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions