Customer Discussions > Gold Box forum

Best Beers

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 79 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 21, 2012 12:37:48 PM PST
A. Antonio says:
Now that it's getting colder there are few things better than a nice strong beer. Not the pansy lite beers everyone drinks in the Summer but a real, kick your butt, beer.

What are some of your fav Winter beers?

I love trying new beers and am looking for ideas.

I personally love most beers by Unibroue.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:44:08 PM PST
Egó,ňr says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:50:42 PM PST
medialint says:
I like Deschuttes Jubelale on tap, but it's not quite the same in the bottle. For bottled winter microbrews this year I'd go with Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale. In the past I liked Pyramid Snow Cap but it seems different this year, either my taste buds have changed or the beer has changed, but I don't care for it as much as I remember.

In the spring look out for Bigfoot. It's a barley wine style ale also made by Sierra Nevada. Caution: Do not attempt to drink an entire six pack by yourself.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:51:44 PM PST
HighwayStar says:
Ommegang Abbey Ale.
Smuttynose Pumpkin Ale.
Guinness Extra Stout (if all else fails...)

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 12:51:57 PM PST
Howling Wolf says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:06:28 PM PST
Simulaman™ says:
While I second the Ommegang Abbey Ale, it is not my favorite from Ommegang. I really like their Three Philosophers. However, do not buy the Three Philosophers in the 12oz bottles. Get the 750ml bottle. There is a HUGE difference.

Sierra Nevada has an Estate Brewers Harvest Ale which is worth drinking.

Dogfish Head makes great IPAs (I do not like most of their beers). I have become very fond of the 90 minute IPA.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:09:08 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:10:36 PM PST
Water Horse Belgian freeze

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:11:07 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:11:45 PM PST
Howling Wolf says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:16:41 PM PST
gman1969 says:
Bell's Brewery NY - Winter White Ale

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2012 1:27:24 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2012 1:28:02 PM PST
Homer says:
There are too many good American brews to simply say "stick with German". Quite narrow minded. If you don't like 90 minute, thats fair enough. The fact that you say it tastes like pond water makes me doubt your taste and question your bias towards non-German brew. You sound like a pal of mine who only drank bud, visited Germany, then returned stating only Germany makes good beer. I'll stick with the beer renaissance currently going on in the states, you can keep your smug. OP, Sierra Nevada Celebration is a great winter beer.

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:31:05 PM PST
south texas says:
new castle

Posted on Dec 21, 2012 1:31:08 PM PST
Howling Wolf says:
There actually aren't many good "winter" beers. It's just a marketing ploy to sell slightly stronger beer that wouldn't normally be purchased during other times of the year.

Get the Guinness tall boy cans that simulate draft beer. Those are good in the winter. And during other times as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:10:33 AM PST
A. Antonio says:
OH MAN BIGFOOT! There is a beer that will but hair on you chest.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:15:08 AM PST
A. Antonio says:
One beer I love but you have to be careful with is XXXX IPA by Shipyard.

My all time favroite beer isn't around anymore. It was Double Black Stout by Redhook. I miss that beer. I normally don't like flavored beers but they brewed it with Starbucks extract and it really worked.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:17:21 AM PST
G Spot says:
Not sure where you live, here in Upstate New York I found Saranac Winter brew selection very good. Also you cant go wrong with good old Sam Adams Seasonal. Good luck and Good Brewskis.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:25:48 AM PST
Pawlie says:
Heady Topper by the Alchemist is simply the best I've ever had. Tough to get, but if you're anywhere near Vermont, check it out. Hill Farmstead Brewery in Vermont is also top notch. Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger by Russian River Brewing are incredible. Screw the Germans, the States are fast becoming the place to get the best beer. Always loved Guiness, but it is truly overrated when matched up against the stouts you can get from Russian River, Great Divide, Left Hand, Stone, etc. Check out BeerAdvocate.com. You can get the run down on any brew and how it is rated, can even get the highest rankings per region and find out which stores in your area sell it.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:30:28 AM PST
Fran says:
Sam Adams Winter Lager

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:32:30 AM PST
Leo Dubien says:
HAH.....funny

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:32:57 AM PST
SLAYER says:
here are some ideas
The Oxford Companion to Beer

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:40:11 AM PST
widowTink says:

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 24, 2012 5:42:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 24, 2012 5:42:40 AM PST
SLAYER says:
the horse piss is Bud and Miller and Coors

try some craft or micro brews..

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 5:52:07 AM PST
SlcCorrado says:
Bell's Two Hearted Ale (Comes in mini-kegs as well)
Sierrra Nevada Torpedo Ale
Founders Breakfast Stout (AWESOME double chocolate, oatmeal, coffee stout)

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:35:51 AM PST
musicman says:
Goose Island Christmas Ale and Mad Elf are two strong ales (excess of 10.% ABV) and full flavored

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:44:15 AM PST
I just tapped a keg of my Chocolate Cherry Oatmeal stout. That has now become my best beer!

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 6:51:57 AM PST
Fat Tire each one has a Story with it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gold Box forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  79
Initial post:  Dec 21, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions