Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Gillian Flynn forum

Any authors alot like gillian flynn?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 35 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 27, 2011 5:53:44 PM PST
so im reading drak places and it an amzing book. I like the fact that its suspenseful, very dark and gritty making the situation seem real. Is there any authors alot like Gillian that anyone would recomend?

p.s. Im reading on my kindle and I do know she has a book called cry baby but it is not available on kindle

Posted on Feb 3, 2011 12:08:42 AM PST
anonymous says:
Tana French
Denise Mina
Kate Atkinson
Mo Hayder

Posted on Feb 9, 2011 2:30:10 AM PST
Not sure who mimics her writing style but SHARP OBJECTS is one of my most favourite books! Probably top 5! After Dark Places, Sharp Objects! You'll be so psyched!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 31, 2012 11:56:20 AM PDT
Reading and loving sharp objects....gone girl was awesome!!! I need to check out cry baby...hadn't heard of that one.

Posted on Jul 31, 2012 7:23:42 PM PDT
Have not heard of Cry Baby. Will research. Have read all other 3 novels. I like Gillian Flynn much better than Tana French. Have not read any of the other suggested similar style authors.

Posted on Sep 10, 2012 1:42:43 PM PDT
H. Moore says:
I've only read Sharp Objects and I'm half way through Dark Places, and I find her writing oddly similar to Chuck Palahniuk, of whom I am a big fan. Gillian is great. I'm glad I picked her up.

Posted on Sep 12, 2012 1:08:56 PM PDT
Celeste B. says:
Sophie Hannah is probably the closest writer to Flynn. The Truth Teller's Lie is one of the darkest books I ever read. She also has the with and searing honesty of Flynn. Her characters are not necessarily likable/ nice. I also love Laura Lippmann.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 4:31:35 AM PST
Tana French and Frank Nappi...Nobody Has To Know is also very dark but compelling...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 9, 2013 5:46:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 9, 2013 5:47:09 PM PST
Camuspam says:
(@ H. Moore) I am a huge Chuck fan.
I was on Goodreads and someone asked for an author recommendation in a "Chuck" thread.
I said the exact same thing.
I don't find their styles to be the same, but I find the feeling they both illicit to be very similar.
Flynn has an amazing knack for writing about broken people that I find unparalleled.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 13, 2013 3:08:56 PM PST
sherry says:
I ordered Cry Baby,,,opened it and put by chair..started to read today..It is in German..cover in English..already trashed info

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2013 3:26:48 PM PST
Kim Albert says:
Cry Baby is the same as Sharp Objects - Chuck Palahniuk is very close

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 12:22:42 PM PST
sherry says:
I bought Cry Baby from Amazon and it came in German...well, not for me
Can not find it anywhere else

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 28, 2013 12:30:35 PM PST
Camuspam says:
As far as I understand "Cry Baby" = German version of "Sharp Objects."
That is what I read, but I have not confirmed this.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 4:21:17 AM PST
Definitely Emma Donoghue with her novel Room. One of those books that makes you 'anticipate' bad things from the outset. An amazing story - part dread, part laughter part horror, part despair, part hope but entirely all love. One of the best books I have ever read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 2, 2013 6:06:49 PM PST
sherry says:
thank you I will Amazon this

Posted on Feb 2, 2013 6:41:19 PM PST
Camuspam says:
While I agree that "Room" is a very dark and despairing novel (as well as a good read-if those words apply to that book-tough book) I cannot agree that the writers are similar in any way at all in style, form or substance.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 3, 2013 2:04:51 PM PST
That is true, I think I was thinking less of the style and more on the emotive impact of the story.

Posted on Apr 8, 2013 9:57:16 PM PDT
Might try Lisa Gardner.

In reply to an earlier post on May 20, 2013 9:18:39 AM PDT
Hanna Ehlers says:
cry baby=sharp objects!

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 2:58:46 AM PDT
joan emily says:
who is "chuck"?

In reply to an earlier post on May 22, 2013 5:06:35 AM PDT
Camuspam says:
Chuck Palahniuk.

Posted on Jan 26, 2014 9:36:21 PM PST
K. Hales says:
It feels like forever since I read her books, because I loved them so much I gobbled them all up as fast as I could, but I just read "Still Missing" By Chevy Stevens, and I felt it had a Gilllian Flynn feel to it! Just my opinion :)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2014 6:35:54 AM PST
sherry says:
Yes, Still Missing IS worth your time and money

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 9, 2014 12:37:50 PM PDT
I've been told that Cry Baby is actually in German (even with the English title?)...be care ful - I also love Gillian Flynn and can't wait to read her next book....when it ever comes out....

In reply to an earlier post on May 23, 2014 12:14:24 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on May 23, 2014 12:16:58 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Gillian Flynn forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  35
Initial post:  Jan 27, 2011
Latest post:  Nov 1, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions