Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Men's Hightops Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Iron Maiden $5 Off Fire TV Stick Off to College Essentials Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Customer Discussions > Raymond E. Feist forum

eBook pricing is why my Kindle sits idle

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2011 4:35:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2011 4:37:29 PM PDT
So the Kindle version of "A Kingdom Besieged" (Book One of The Chaoswar Saga) is a whopping 52¢ cheaper than the discounted HARDCOVER price?

This is why I've stopped purchasing new books for my beloved 3rd Gen Kindle and why it gathers dust on my desk. I will NOT pay as much (sometimes more!) for an eBook (which costs the publisher FAR less) as I will for a bleeping trade paperback, much less a 1st Edition hardcover. It just isn't going to happen.

So I will go back to stocking "real" books on my shelves, albeit at a much slower pace than I used to, rather than buy anything new for my Kindle. Until such time as publishers face reality and stop trying to roll back time I will stick to reading public domain offerings on my Kindle.

I just got all of Charles Dickens, so at least I'll have something to read the next time I'm on a road trip. Too bad I won't have the latest Feist novel, but that's the way my wallet swings.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 13, 2011 10:00:06 AM PDT
Old Army Guy says:
Agreed

Posted on May 27, 2011 8:25:08 PM PDT
Susan says:
This is why I get mainly public domain books. They're free and I'm encouraged to read a few classics!

Posted on Jul 18, 2011 3:31:06 PM PDT
C. Fountain says:
I have said to many friends that it is ridiculous that a publisher would charge the same for an ebook edition as for a physical object. The physical book needs someone to print it, bind it, package it, a truck to ship it, and someone to stock the shelves at the store. You can't expect to recoup the cost for the distribution of a book from the cost of an ebook. I might be willing to pay the same price as a paperback, but even that is pushing it. Publishing is now in the stages that the music industry was back in the 90's, when people are pirating because they feel ripped off.

I have two kindles, my wife's k3g, and my own k2i, and the only purchase I made was for the scrabble game. I search Amazon for free books, and also joined a kindle ebook lending site.

Posted on Sep 1, 2011 12:04:40 AM PDT
For you folks that are are mad about publishers that price their ebooks so high, I recommend Baen! Not only is there the Baen Free Library (http://www.baen.com/library/), but you'll find e-books for $4 - $6 at Baen's Webscription site (http://www.webscription.net/). I also recommend the monthly webscriptions (http://www.webscription.net/c-3-webscriptions.aspx).

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 1:38:37 PM PST
Kathleen says:
Ditto. when i can find books CHEAPER than their Kindle counterparts..... i follow my purse.. altho as another poster said, it DOES make me re-read the classics, so its not *entirely* bad....

Posted on Feb 18, 2012 5:01:37 PM PST
Just thought I'd mention that Baen has revamped their e-books web site, and the URL is now "http://www.baenebooks.com/". Baen is still the best publisher for purchasing e-books from :)

Posted on Feb 23, 2012 9:22:33 PM PST
Yann Duran says:
I'm afraid I agree. The massive savings of an e-book compared to a print book mean that this kind of pricing (& I've seen it for other books as well) is just plain greed on the part of the publisher! I don't hesitate to buy e-books that I'd like to read if they're under $10, but I baulk, no matter how much I'd like to read the book, at an e-book over $10. Any e-book that's $20+ is just plain rediculous.

Posted on Apr 21, 2012 11:33:35 PM PDT
Tsvqld says:
Yes, there seems to be a terrible greed from the publishers - especially, as in Australia, they also enjoy a degree of protectionism. Its why, I am glad to see the Europeans and now Canda, taking on the Apple-Bookpublisher arrangements as being anti-competitive. Fingers crossed for that outcome.

I can not conceivably see any justification for the prices being charged and, especially, where the price us similar too or even more than hardback prices ... Its bad enough with them charging almost the same as a paperback.

So its back to the old paperbooks for me ...and a decision to defer updating my Kindle

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 2, 2013 9:32:04 AM PST
mom_247 says:
THANK YOU for the tip!!!

Posted on Mar 4, 2013 3:19:30 PM PST
Baen e-books are now available on Amazon.com. Baen e-book prices are $6.99 if the book is in paperback, $8.99 for books in trade paperback, and $9.99 for books in hardcover. I don't think any other publisher has prices that low. Also, they still have their free library of e-books :)

Posted on Jun 6, 2015 9:14:48 AM PDT
Also, Amazon has many, many sales on ebooks all the time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Raymond E. Feist forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2011
Latest post:  Jun 6, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers

Search Customer Discussions