Customer Discussions > Michael Connelly forum

Other similar authors

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 33 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 4, 2011 9:20:45 AM PST
J. G. Hodges says:
I am a HUGE fan of Michael Connelly having read all of his works of fiction. While I await his next novel in April, are there other similar authors out there that folks would recommend.

I am not into gratuitous sex and violence and I love a fascinating thriller plot, so these are two of the reasons that I love Connelly. (In fact, I am even thinking about just starting over and rereading them all from the beginning).

Any suggestions?

Posted on Feb 8, 2011 6:05:49 AM PST
Try Lee Child and the Jack Reacher stories--Jack is all you could ever wish for!! After 5 or 6 they get a little predictable but really are a great read.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2011 5:32:45 PM PST
J. Bult says:
Have you tried the English author, P. D. James? The best! I just finished the lighthouse...Inspector Commander Daghlish.

Posted on Feb 10, 2011 5:37:05 PM PST
I. Wallace says:
I agree with the Lee Child books. They are great! I also like Harlen Coben with his Myron Bolitar series.

In reply to an earlier post on May 18, 2011 8:17:37 PM PDT
I agree with you and have read all the Harry Bosch books, some twice. I suggest Greg Iles, Tony Hillerman, James Patterson (the Alex Cross novels), Wilbur Smith, David Baldacci, Margaret Truman's Capitol Mysteries, John Le Carre, Martin Cruz Smith, Ken Follett, etc., etc., etc.

Posted on May 19, 2011 6:25:52 AM PDT
Jessica says:
Greg Iles or James Patterson's Alex Cross series are both great. I've read all from both, as well as all of Connelly's. However, if you haven't read all the Michael Connelly bookin in order, including the non-Bosch ones, I would highly recommend it. I've read them all, but this year am reading them all in order, which has been a great experience. There is so much you pick up on when all of his books are read in order.

Alex Berenstein is also really good, and a similar genre.

Posted on Jul 27, 2011 1:57:51 PM PDT
Next to Michael Connelly, I'd say Dennis Lehane. He does for South Boston what Connelly does for Los Angeles. I'd suggest starting with Mystic River or Gone, Baby, Gone, but A Drink Before the War is the first book of the series.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 3:38:07 AM PDT
Coyotebleu says:
I agree with the other posts, but will add one more Robert Crais. I wish they would do a book together.

Posted on Dec 5, 2011 10:49:02 PM PST
Can't agree more with the Dennis Lehane suggestion. I'd also highly recommend George Pelecanos, he does for Washington DC what Connelly does for LA.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 9:37:16 AM PST
Espy says:
John Sandford's Prey series (Lucas Davenport is the main character) and Jeffrey Deaver's Lincoln Rhyme series are both somewhat similar. The Prey series is more of a police procedural while the Rhyme series is the suspenseful roller coaster and character universe that spreads into another series (similar to the Bosch/Haller connections)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2011 11:35:01 AM PST
J. Bult says:
I agree, but I seem to like Sandford's style better. I also like the Virgil Flowers series, and there is a little more humor in that one than the Lucas Davenport.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 6:19:53 PM PST
James Lee Burke has written some great stories, start at the begining and get to know his characters. I have read all the authors you have listed I wish some new ones would come along!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 28, 2011 6:21:30 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Dec 28, 2011 6:22:40 PM PST]

Posted on Dec 28, 2011 6:48:33 PM PST
J. Bult says:
Burke is the master... I can almost smell the bayou and feel the rain.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2012 11:08:12 AM PST
DEVOUREADT says:
I read somewhere that James Lee Burke was one of Michael Connelly's favorite authors. So, I found a copy of one of his books at the library and now I'm reading all of Burke's stuff (His daughter writes,too~ Alafair Burke)
I read Burke's latest and loved it....he's in his 70's and still has a great imagination!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 6, 2012 6:49:38 PM PST
Eric Behler says:
Try John Sandfords both series 1. Virgil Flowers and 2. The Prey series

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 7, 2012 2:23:00 PM PST
Try Ace Atkins.... doesn't get any better than Ace, esp. his new series starting with The Ranger which is nominated for an Edgar.

Posted on Apr 6, 2012 10:29:24 PM PDT
juan rapido says:
I don't like Lee Child. Reacher is too bad ass, too skilled. If you like Bosch, try Henning Mankell's Wallendar series, Ian Rankin and Inspector Rebus, and Mark Billingham with his Tom Thorne. And of course, the classic Lawrence Block with Matt Scudder, who is a PI and a former cop.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2012 7:30:42 AM PDT
J. Bult says:
i liked the first one, but then after starting the next one, I too felt he was a superhero, and I'm not interested in that.
I have read all of Mankell's already and loved every one. I also love James Lee Burke and his Dave Robicheaux. Matt Schudder is already a favorite.
I will try Ian Rankin and Mark Billingham. Have you ever read Waumbaugh?

Posted on Apr 22, 2012 3:16:07 PM PDT
abttrax says:
the mathew scudder series written by lawrence block. His first and last two books of that series were terrible. But all the rest were truly great. They should be read in order as they were published.

Posted on Jun 19, 2012 5:42:49 AM PDT
Lisa says:
I'm a devoted fan of Michael Connelly, having read all of his work. Also, Lawrence Block/Matt Scudder, John Sanford/Lucas Davenport and Virgil Flowers. I always prefer to read them in order, although the best authors, like Connelly, really improve as writers over time.
Here are several more series I now track and order every new volume:
Barry Eisler - John Rain, Japanese-American contract killer, often set in Tokyo.
Steve Hamilton - Alex McNight, ex-cop in the wilds of Upper Peninsula Michigan
Craig Johnson - Walt Longmire, sheriff of Absaroka County Wyoming
Jo Nesbo - Harry Hole, antihero inspector in Oslo, Norway
James D Best - Steve Dancy, The Shopkeeper (1879 Nevada, NY gunsmith comes west)

Enjoy!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 19, 2012 9:26:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 19, 2012 9:26:36 AM PDT
J. Bult says:
Thanks... I'm running out of un read detective/mystery stories that are really well written. I gag on the stories where the "hero" is almost a superhuman, perfect in every way. Pleas read Tony Hillerman's novels about the Navaho people during th 1970-80s. They are really great! I read all of them about Jim Chee a young Navaho policeman who fails in relationships with women while dealing with murder and greed. I liked them so much I took a trip to Ship Rock and Window Rock, real towns in Arizona...

Posted on Jul 9, 2012 3:37:11 PM PDT
Ol Ranger says:
One of my 3 favs, (MC & Sandford) is Stephen Hunter (Bob Lee Swagger)!! Read in order starting w/Point of Impact. He ages Bob just like MC does w/Harry. Davenport too.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 5:37:57 AM PDT
rdaltry says:
Think globally. Harry Hole series by Jo Nesbo.

Posted on Dec 30, 2013 5:37:48 PM PST
M. Floor says:
Daniel Silva's Gabriel Allen series is good. I'm reading them for the first time in order. Michael Connelly did an interview and mentioned tat he really likes Michael Lister's books. I will start my first one in January. I also like Robert B Parker and John D McDonald. Both no longer with us, but they were terrific.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Michael Connelly forum
Participants:  25
Total posts:  33
Initial post:  Feb 4, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 21, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 11 customers

Search Customer Discussions