Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > J. R. R. Tolkien forum

Best hardcover box set?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 22, 2010 8:13:52 AM PST
I love the LOTR and have a box set of The Hobbit + the trilogy; but it's paperback. It's a Del Rey version that came out after Peter Jackson's movies were all released since the cover art on each are stills from the movies. It's fine, but I'm thinking I'd like all these books in hardcover since they're so fantastic and I want my kids to enjoy them as well.

I've been perusing the various box sets on Amazon and notice that there are many comments on a lot of them indicating poor quality in the printing. Can anyone recommend a high quality hardcover box set that has the maps reproduced accurately? Other illustrations would be nice but not necessary. I was sad to see in the reviews that Alan Lee's illustrated version apparently has some quality issues in the printing, and also I wouldn't be a big fan of the large physical size of that edition - I would like book you can easily hold in your hand.

Posted on Mar 25, 2011 12:32:35 PM PDT
M. Kramer says:
I have the 5oth anniversery, black leather, slipcased version as well as the one volume illustrated version. I'm very satisfied with both of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 28, 2012 2:01:20 PM PDT
Josh Baker says:
The best Tolkien set out there (for a somewhat reasonable price) is the Easton Press leather editions. Here is a link:
http://www.eastonpressbooks.com/leather/product.asp?code=0193
You can probably get them all on amazon, but youre probably better off going direct.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:30:07 PM PST
Folio Society makes a nice set as well. Not leather (if you care), but very high quality.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  J. R. R. Tolkien forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Dec 22, 2010
Latest post:  Jan 22, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions