Customer Discussions > Glenn Beck forum

If you had to pick one book your child should read...

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 2, 2010 9:46:07 AM PDT
Randy Fowler says:
Hello fellow Beck fans,

My daughter is heading off to college in 3 weeks and I'm trying to remember the book title from one of Glenn's shows where he answered the question... "If you had to pick one book your child should read before heading off to college..." Does anyone remember ? I saw it months ago and neglected to write it down. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2010 2:46:18 PM PST
Randy,
Did you ever receive an answer?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2010 10:23:37 AM PST
Randy Fowler says:
No, I did not. :-(

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 10, 2010 3:40:19 PM PST
D. Love says:
Randy: I believe it was the 5000 Year Leap.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 7:21:54 PM PDT
Mark T says:
I did not catch Glenn's recommendation. However, permit me to suggest one that she absolutely should read now if she hasn't already (it's an easy read and can be done in 1-2 sittings).

It's "Animal Farm" by George Orwell. In one brief package, everything that is at issue in the world to this day, the individual vs. the collective, property rights vs. the State, is clarified here in novella form far better than intellectual screeds exceeding it by hundreds of pages. She could move on to "1984" as it would probably be good college prep material these days.

Incidentally, I used to keep an eye on the reading lists they had at U.C. Berkeley, they had one "suggested" list for incoming freshmen and then there were the readings for the freshman classes. Over time it seems that fewer and fewer courses include anything by Orwell (his essay on politics and the English language is essential)--I think his writings come so close to what the Left wing is trying to do that they just don't want the students to be thinking about what is going on around them. (The lists are packed with the usual Alice Walker-Maya Angelou-Toni Morrison-Angela Davis screeds against America).
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Glenn Beck forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Aug 2, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions