Customer Discussions > Francine Thomas Howard forum

The Silenced Southern White Wife

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 10 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 18, 2010 12:56:01 PM PDT
In Page From a Tennessee Journal, Eula Mae, the white southern woman is prevented from crying out the pain of betrayal because her husband had dallied with a black, and not a white, woman. Eula's story would have been different if Alex's dalliance had been in the bed of a white woman.
I believe that there were many Eulas out there--both during slavery and Jim Crow. I'm wondering how many of you have family stories of such events--deeply buried because of the pain.

Posted on Mar 31, 2010 2:40:01 PM PDT
Oh Lordy, is that ever the truth. In my own family the old women explained our dark hair, dark skin, full lips and prominent behinds with exculpatory euphemisms like "....yes, there was likely a ****** in the woodpile along the way." But it was never revealed when or where these mysterious women fit into our lineage.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2010 2:28:40 PM PDT
Yes, I've heard those stories, too. They are the other side of the coin. That's one of the reasons I'm so impressed with DNA. In my own DNA search, I've encountered a number of relatives who consider themselves 'white' only to discover that we share the same African ancestress. Thanks for sharing.

Posted on Apr 12, 2010 2:05:18 PM PDT
Francine: Great book! Thanks for blogging at www.louanncarrollbooks.weebly.com. Already you've had more than 100 hits to the blog and you have many compliments at the Amazon Breakthrough Novel page. Congratulations on a wonderful novel.

Louann

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 12, 2010 3:36:04 PM PDT
Thanks so much, Louann. I just had my first author event on Saturday and I praised ABNA as a wonderful new vehicle to possible future publication for aspiring writers.

Posted on May 1, 2011 11:40:59 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2011 11:41:51 PM PDT
Excellent read and a wonderful addition to the "fiction" body of literature! I can hardly wait to read your next book. I wish I had known you live in SF when I was there, I would have bought you a "cup of coffee" and asked you to sign my Kindle! LOL

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 4:44:46 PM PDT
Thanks Charlotte-Marie. Glad you enjoyed PAGE and poor Eula's plight. My next book IS out. The Sisterhood Hyphen, a contemporary multicultural romance set in Africa is available on my Amazon site. My next AmazonEncore book, Paris Noire, and set in 1944 Paris, will be available September 2011. And I'd love to sign your Kindle!

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2011 5:04:24 PM PDT
I have already purchased Sisterhood! You sold me on your writing with Page. Please, Keep up the Great work!
God's Peace.

Posted on Mar 20, 2013 9:19:25 AM PDT
bksdelightme says:
Francine, I really enjoyed reading PAGE. As not only a Tennessean but also a native of Montgomery County, I wonder why you chose it as the setting for your book. I was fascinated!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2013 11:49:03 AM PDT
Bksdelightme,
I'm delighted you enjoyed PAGE especially since you are a native of Montgomery County. My family sojourned in Montgomery County from 1820 until 1920. I've never been to the place and my mother was much too young to have any vivid memories. But as a child growing up in California, I did catch snatches of conversation about the Jim Crow South. Since PAGE is loosely based upon a family secret, Montgomery County felt like the ideal spot to set Annalaura, John, Alex, and Eula Mae. Thanks for taking the time to comment.
I hope you will also enjoy my second novel, PARIS NOIRE--set in WWII Paris and featuring a Josephine Baker-like character.

Francine
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  5
Total posts:  10
Initial post:  Mar 18, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions