Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > John Sandford forum

When you've read everything Sandford wrote, who else is as good a read?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 201 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 4, 2011 1:04:08 PM PDT
I've been rereading some of the ones I bought first, years ago, and have enjoyed them again, which I didn't expect at all; this includes Jacob Winter and Virgil Flowers, not just Davenport novels. But I'm running out of these, and wonder if anyone has suggestions about other authors they liked as much. Child comes close at times, when he makes an effort, he's my only suggestion for others in the same situation as I am. TIA

Posted on Sep 5, 2011 8:34:47 PM PDT
I'm a huge Sandford fan as well. I love Harlan Coben and James Patterson just as much as sandford! Try one of them and I promise you will be hooked!!

Posted on Sep 11, 2011 10:24:22 PM PDT
Also try Michael Connelly, Daniel Silva, C. J. Box, Jo Nesbro, Ian Rankin -- all excellent and all write about characters in series.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 12, 2011 11:53:17 AM PDT
Many thanks for the suggestions!

I have read most of Connelly (good) but none of the others, so will give them a try

Michael Scriven

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2011 5:25:06 PM PDT
Maggie says:
Vince Flynn is the first male author I read and he remains my favorite. Mitch Rapp is his main character. Think youj will like him.

Posted on Nov 1, 2011 12:47:52 PM PDT
R. T. Tedrow says:
Try Thomas Perry.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2011 2:28:46 PM PDT
Thanks, RTT, I will indeed!

Michael Scriven

Posted on Nov 6, 2011 9:23:30 PM PST
dchilljr says:
My favorite - John D. MacDonald's Travis McGee.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2011 9:35:41 PM PST
Tarot says:
Definitely Patterson. The Alex cross books are very good!

Posted on Nov 11, 2011 5:55:17 PM PST
Jon Carroll says:
I just read The Informationist by Taylor Stevens. It's an excellent read and she cites Sanford as one of the authors who influenced her.

Posted on Nov 12, 2011 9:30:33 PM PST
J. A. Black says:
I am an Audible.Com fan of John Sandford's detectives, Lucas Davenport and Virgil Powers, tough guys with integrity and great thinking skills. I think that you may enjoy James Lee Burke's series with Detective Dave Robicheaux, also a man of worth, in and around New Orleans.

John Lutz has an excellent big city detective series. Kirk Mitchell's Native American agents for the Bureau of Indian Affairs and the FBI, investigate crime in and around the reservations all over the United States.

Like John Sandford, James Lee Burke, John Lutz, and Kirk Mitchell make you yearn for more.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2011 7:22:48 PM PST
Robert B. Parker's "Spenser" series was usually very good.

Posted on Nov 27, 2011 7:13:05 AM PST
Try the Brad Thor or Alex Berenson novels. Both series are good. They, like Harry Bosch, Virgil Flowers and Lucas, are best enjoyed in sequential order for character development and continuity.

Posted on Nov 28, 2011 9:05:42 PM PST
L. L. Hanley says:
I also like Larry Millett's Sherlock Holmes pastiches and Ron Handberg - both Minnesota writers. Handberg used to be with the local TV news and Millett with the St. Paul Pioneer Press.

Posted on Dec 11, 2011 8:19:56 AM PST
Sheepdogma says:
Two of my favorites are Nelson Demille (although he doesn't write much any more, his Charm School started me reading a couple decades ago) and a friend got me into Greg Iles books last year and I couldn't stop til I read them all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 4, 2012 8:43:08 PM PST
AGRayburn says:
I'm always looking for new authors - have a few to suggest - Richard North Patterson, I feel like J. Patterson got v formulaic & now just sells his name, but RNP, I'd overlooked & really liked. Another stab in the dark that turned out well was Gregg Hurwitz (yeah, I know, who?) Jeffery Deaver, if you haven't read him is just excellent. That was a good idea to ask!

Posted on Jan 7, 2012 11:56:09 AM PST
jeanne says:
Robert Parker and Michael Connelly are the only equals of Sandford in my estimate. The writing of these three men is elegant, the characters become your best friends, your idols, men with flaws, but heroic, highly principled, charming, loveable. Although I consider Brits to be grandmasters of language... none compare with these three craftsmen.
Dr. Light

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 7, 2012 1:02:22 PM PST
...and perhaps the best books by Lee Child

Michael Scriven

Posted on Jan 22, 2012 12:39:39 PM PST
you might also try Ross Thomas

Posted on Jan 31, 2012 7:44:40 PM PST
Paul D. says:
Read the Sandman Slim trilogy..it's kind of graphic but a really good read if you like revenge books

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2012 7:03:42 AM PST
R. T. Tedrow says:
You'll like T. Jefferson Parker

Posted on Mar 17, 2012 12:53:09 PM PDT
Lisa says:
Alex Kava's Maggie O'Dell books are excellent and J.A. Konrath's Jack Daniels novels are good too.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2012 1:31:33 PM PDT
Thanks, Lisa: there's a good deal on Kindle for both of them, so I've ordered half a dozen and look forward to reading them!

Cheers,

MS

Posted on Apr 11, 2012 3:24:26 PM PDT
Elmore Leonard, tops them all!

Posted on Apr 16, 2012 9:23:04 AM PDT
raindrop says:
I can not believe no one has mentioned Robert Crais. He's books are exerllent. Read them and you won't be disappointed. I guarentee you.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  John Sandford forum
Participants:  87
Total posts:  201
Initial post:  Sep 4, 2011
Latest post:  May 31, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 29 customers

Search Customer Discussions