Customer Discussions > Kim Stanley Robinson forum

Irene: 40 Signs of Rain

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 31, 2011 11:03:10 PM PDT
Val Barnes says:
With Irene on the way last weekend and living in Bethesda now, I decided to re-read 40 Signs.

Really enjoying it the second time around, especially thinking about the zoo animals lurking around just down the road in Rock Creek Park.

DC mostly escaped -- this time.

Posted on Jan 4, 2013 3:01:59 PM PST
To Mr. Robinson:
I haven't read any of your books. I'm writing to let you know that at this point, I don't plan to. Why would I do this? Because based on what I've seen in your reviews and awards, you seem like a good guy and an excellent writer. My sister recommended you to me. I was perusing reviews and trying to decide which of your books to try first and stumbled into the reviews for your global warming book. Here's the part where I just can't bring myself to read the book: hundreds of climatologists disagree that we are even having global warming. Others disagree on the cause. I'm not a writer - but I am a reader. A key factor in readable science fiction is plausibility.
After I got deeper into the reviews, I notice that several people have taken note that you seem to have an antithesis for republicans. I am one. Do I agree with everything on the platform? No. I simply believe that they have a greater grip on sustainable economics and are solidly based in reality with respect to self and national defense. I have no intention of trying to convert a left leaning global warming believer. You are free to believe what you like and write books based on those beliefs. That's the beauty of our free country (which is becoming less so). However - I'm simply letting you know that you are alienating a large percentage of sci-fi fans. Given the fact that engineers (myself), programmers, and others of a scientific bent tend to like science fiction more than the run of the mill reader, and that we tend to have decent jobs (while they last), and therefore tend to buy kindles and books in greater proportion than the average population, I'd bet that you are doing more damage to your sales than you might think.
My guess is that you are solidly entrenched in your beliefs and attitudes, as I am, and that your sales are ok, so my words will probably be dismissed. However - I figured I'd drop you a line and let you know. If I were you, the money alone would be enough to inspire me to consider both sides of the global warming issue. (as I have - even with no financial impact at stake)
- Kevin

Posted on Apr 5, 2013 2:15:46 PM PDT
A. Martin says:
I'm looking forward to reading the Mars Trilogy for the science and for an advance look at what we may see happening in the future. For someone who is hesitant to read anything they might not agree with, don't you think it wise to read the playbook of your enemy if presented with it?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Aug 31, 2011
Latest post:  Apr 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions