Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Fire TV Stick Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM
Customer Discussions > Amazon.com Music Essentials forum

Where are the Christian Artists??????

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 96 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2007 9:49:12 AM PDT
You are missing a lot of good music!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2007 10:52:26 AM PDT
W. Bailey says:
I agree. No Michael W. Smith, John Elefante, or Steven Curtis Chapman listed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2007 1:09:22 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 13, 2007 1:10:10 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2007 11:10:22 AM PDT
No, I don't think we are missing out at all. If there's no christian music in essential music, guess what, it doesn't belong there. The other post mentions a few acts, again guess what, never heard of them, and I don't want to. Not everyone in the world believes they have to absorb themselves in the greatest lie ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2007 9:49:01 AM PDT
Peter, what kind of music do You Listen to????

I bet You enjoy it!, as I do with Christian Music.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2007 3:15:30 PM PDT
When did it become "Christian Music", isnt it just rock, hip hop, country etc. but the songs just happen to be about religion. I personally like Creed and POD but i dont listen to it because its Christian Music, i listen to it because its good rock. The posibility of certain artists not being including in an "Essentials" list is surely because they have not excelled or been recognised in their certain genres, not their subject matter.

And dont tell me that Christian Music is a genre now...

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 25, 2007 12:13:57 PM PDT
I think maybe you are getting hung-up on words. You can call it whatever You want. Just enjoy the music, whatever you choose to call it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2007 3:55:02 PM PDT
Mark Moss says:
What, are you blind?
Most of the artists on that page ARE xians. You people are controlling most of the damn world; just shut up already.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 3:01:44 PM PST
Brandon says:
Or any of the artists that are put in the "Christian Music" genre are not known well enough or as influential as many other artists. Lets face it the two you listed are not two great bands. I've not heard of either of their songs quite a few years. Now you get someone who sells as many copies and has such and influence as The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, U2, Rolling Stones or any of the other handful of bands that many people have at least heard of before then I will include them in my list of music. But face it most "Christian Music" is such a niche category of music that for it to become mainstream enough they are going to have to drop the whole specific religion and sing about just plain old spiritual awareness which even then I doubt that any band could become as large as any of the bands I rattled off earlier. And since they are Christian I doubt they are willing to say "You know what, not everyone may believe in this thing we call god so instead lets just sing about everyone doing good and helping each other because they want to not because they might go to hell."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2007 4:10:04 PM PST
Luna C says:
You may not have heard, but the classical repertoire is chockfull of sacred (and yes, Christian) music by Bach, Handel, Mozart, Brahms, Faure, Poulenc, Vaughan Williams, and that's only a few names from my admittedly modest classical collection. Perhaps you might want to rethink your definition of what constitutes Christian music.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2007 7:40:41 AM PST
KWhite says:
When did the content and intent behind music dictate its categorization in anywhere other than record stores? Oh.. wait, this is a type of record store. Never mind.

..Wait, no! I have another complaint. What would dictate "essential" Christian Music? If the music is being isolated because of its subject matter, then its subject matter must become the qualifier. In other words, the most essential Christian music must somehow be innately more Christian than non-essential Christian Music. Otherwise you're applying unnecessary qualifiers to what is otherwise simply pop music with a specific intent. Of course, if you're going to do that, why stop at Christian? Why not essential Islam, Atheist, Zoroastrian? It's quite the can of worms, understand? I'm willing to follow you down the slope as long as you're watching for trees. (Sorry, that was a mixed metaphor.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 10:48:52 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 6, 2008 11:04:46 AM PST

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 8, 2008 5:30:06 PM PST
P. Atkins says:
Christian music promotes one theme and one theme only, Christ. If you want Christian music to be rated within the genre of essential music, then remove the adjective. It is by definition self-limiting.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 7:19:48 AM PST
> I agree. No Michael W. Smith, John Elefante, or Steven Curtis Chapman listed.

On the other hand, there is U2, Johnny Cash, Warren Zevon, Elvis Presley... the list of Christian artists is endless, even before you look at the classical composers.

Are these people not Christian enough? Are they not the right type of Christian? Why no love for the Christian artists who did make the list?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 9:59:01 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2008 9:59:56 AM PST
There is love for all artists, Christan or Not! I might not choose to listen to them.

As a matter of fact there is Love for ALL that God has created!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2008 10:58:59 AM PST
A cursory skim of the list (ignoring completely the classical section, which is entirely made up of Christian music, in every sense of the term) reveals such artists as Louis Armstrong, James Brown, Garth Brooks, Mariah Carey, the Carpenters, Johnny Cash, Ray Charles, Bing Crosby, Miles Davis, the Dixie Chicks, Aretha Franklin, Billy Holliday, John Lee Hooker, Tom Jones, Tim McGraw, Thelonious Monk, Willie Nelson, Sinéad O'Connor, Elvis Presley, Otis Redding, Diana Ross, U2 and Warren Zevon.

These are not simply musicians who happen to be Christian, but are musicians whose work is deeply and explicitly influenced by their Christianity. They cover every genre of music for pretty much all of the last century.

I simply don't understand why you claim that Christians are unrepresented. Are you using some strange definition of "Christian musician" that would exclude the people I name above? If so, what is it, and why do you feel that it deserves special consideration?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 6:57:09 AM PST
Rob Hoff says:
Do your homework. Beethoven and Mozart, for example, were atheists, not Christians.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 26, 2008 7:32:26 AM PST
Not actually true. Mozart was a life-long devout Catholic, and while Beethoven's religious beliefs are argued about, none of his biographers have the slightest doubt that he believed in a personal god.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_van_Beethoven%27s_religious_beliefs for more details.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 8, 2008 7:46:33 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 8, 2008 7:57:42 AM PST
polar bean says:
What about Buddhist music? When are the monks finally going to get some credit.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 14, 2008 12:34:10 AM PST
Atheists or Christians or not....you do realize that many, if not most works were commissions, hired by head figures of the time...not personal works? So, one could reasonably be Atheistic, but create Christian-based music because that's what he was hired to do...

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2008 1:11:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 15, 2008 1:14:07 PM PST
william says:
Frankly, where's the Native American music: under world Music I suspect. And what about Zoroastrian music for God's sake. Is it just me or are a lot of obviously intelligent people wasting time on this blog? We should be worrying about what will happen to the world if John McBush steals the next election. What am I saying? By then The Rapture will just put an end to this and all other blogs.
Peace.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 15, 2008 3:53:34 PM PST
Lucifer is the source of all great music.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 24, 2008 4:15:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 24, 2008 4:16:10 PM PST
Sebastian says:
I'm pretty sure everyone here is talking about Christian music with lyrics; the classical artists you mentioned hardly ever had lyrics present in their music. I don't really see how one can affiliate the sound an instrument makes with religion.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 25, 2008 9:37:17 PM PST
Are you serious? Don't get me wrong, i am a born again christian... but are you really suggesting that michael w. smith and steven curtis chapman be put in an "essentials" list with the likes of bob dylan, u2, the beetles, Jimi hendrix, Led Zep, michael jackson???
old Mike and Steve-o have made some pretty decent worship music but i would think you'd agree they have not affected any part of our culture. the above mentioned artist have helped define generations and that is why they belong on this list... not to mention the gagillion albums they sold.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  70
Total posts:  96
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2007
Latest post:  Jun 4, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Gospels, Spirituals, & Hymns
Gospels, Spirituals, & Hymns by Mahalia Jackson (Audio CD - 1998)
4.8 out of 5 stars (67)