Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors
Customer Discussions > Rebecca Skloot forum

Henrietta Lacks family

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 6, 2010 9:49:33 AM PST
Did this womans family ever receive royalties on their mothers cells? I did research with immortalized liver cells and its was very successful but I have no idea whether the family of this person benefited in any way.
Thank you

Posted on May 17, 2010 7:26:20 PM PDT
TheCaring1 says:
Tonight Law and Order did a show about immortal cells but instead of an African American female, they used a male. His family was going to sue, however, U know there was a crime involved, but in the end, the family got 10 million dollars from the company they were planning to sue. I brought this book back in Jan and just started reading it, and already it was recommended by Advance for Nurses as the book to read for this month. Which is funny because most times I don't even look at those when they come in, but the book was recommended for Nurse Week in Maryland edition of Advance.

Posted on Feb 16, 2012 11:12:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2012 11:28:17 AM PST
EMS says:
This book is one of the most informative and interesting books of its kind that I have read. Skloot's skill in explaining the science and her narrative ability in portraying the Lacks family have combined to create a story that is both compelling and shocking. The author deserves praise for more than her writing ability; without her patience and tenacity, I doubt whether this book could have been written.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 16, 2012 12:41:21 PM PST
I agree with your post. I was drawn to the book having worked in research with immortalized cells. To learn of the plight of the Lacks Family in contrast with the success of their deceased mother's cells seems like an injustice. I commend the author for her in depth research and her ability to put the facts to form in an excellent book.

Posted on Apr 28, 2014 11:29:04 PM PDT
what happened to the movie they were going to make with Oprah?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 12:19:38 PM PDT
B.Gee says:
I was wondering the same thing! I can see Emma Stone as Rebecca Skloot -- what do you think?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Rebecca Skloot forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Feb 6, 2010
Latest post:  Apr 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions