Customer Discussions > Susanna Fraser forum

Wrong title!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-18 of 18 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 16, 2010 2:49:37 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2010 5:29:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2010 5:49:28 AM PDT
Jane Litte says:
Seriously? As a pub professional you should know that authors rarely get last say over many things including title, cover, blurb. Further commonality in titles occurs all the time. Last month there was an anthology in romance titled Burning Up and this month there is a single title called Burning Up.

There is a reason that titles aren't copywritable. To chastise an author for doing something that a) isn't the least inappropriate; b) is commonly accepted practice in the industry; and c) likely isn't within the control of the author is hardly the way to go about winning over new readers.

Further, as the better known author, as you so self describe, any confusion should resolve in your favor, right? And as the better known author, I am pretty sure that you will be remembered for this post among romance readers than anything else you've done.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 6:10:35 AM PDT
JeanK says:
Confused? I don't think so, Mr. Swarthout. I can certainly tell the difference between a recently released romance novel and a western that was released over six years ago. It think you should give each genre's readers more credit.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 6:28:11 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 22, 2010 6:28:42 AM PDT]

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 6:30:23 AM PDT
ScrltLtr says:
An author who believes his "reader group" will be confused by a book written in a completely different genre must have a low opinion of his readers' intelligence. More's the pity there. Thankfully, Regency readers are most unlikely to be similarly confused.

Posted on Aug 22, 2010 9:35:31 AM PDT
I'm not sure what your objective is here. She cannot change the title. It is unlikely her editors are planning to personally scuttle your career by naming all her books after yours. In fact, this situation is hardly unique. I doubt your intent was to come across as an egoist berating another to no end but his own gratification, therefore I assume you had a goal other than your result?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 8:54:28 AM PDT
"Copywritable"? Really? You want to be taken seriously as a published author and you don't know that "right" in copyright is not spelled "write"? And you also want to slag of on another published author over a title which you must know she had little to no control over?

Posted on Aug 23, 2010 10:31:54 AM PDT
Katie Babs says:
The publisher decides on the title of the book. Accusing an author of copycatting a title of a book of all things on a public forum here shows how unprofessional you are.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 23, 2010 6:17:14 PM PDT
Good heavens. You don't get out much, do you. Not a particularly unique idea for a title, not concurrently published. Publishers don't care, and there is extremely unlikely to be confusion - in fact, it is more likely you will collect a few accidental sales.

Posted on Aug 24, 2010 2:55:21 AM PDT
Tweedy says:
Hi,
So glad I found you all here.
I have just finished writing a sci-fi epic that I have titled "The Sergeant's Lady" - featuring Sergeant Zac Killblood of the Space Marines and his drop-ship "Lady". I expect massive sales and thought I would mention it in case anyone ordered one of the other "Sergeant's Lady"s instead of mine, I obviously don't have a problem with that as they will get a cracking bloodthirsty read instead of some slushy nonsense or something about cowboys..
Go, Space Marines, Go! Place your orders quickly, I expect the first edition to fly off the shelves. In the follow up book Zac gets promoted to Lord and posted to Saturn. Keep an eye out for it, I'm calling it Lord of the Rings....
Tweedy.

Posted on Aug 25, 2010 11:12:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2010 11:13:09 PM PDT
Tweedy - I am so excited for your book! I hope the publishers don't change the title to something lame, like A Staggering Work Of Heartbreaking Genius.

It's never too soon to get your film cast together - have you considered Nathan Fillion for Zac Killblood? I mean, you'd have to change him to a Captain - but he could get a false identity in the battle! Oh! And John Barrowman could play the real Captain!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 1:32:13 AM PDT
Tweedy says:
E.A
Those are great ideas, I might suggest them when Tarrantino comes calling..Thank you

Currently working on my next probable best seller - it's about two Space Mercenaries and their violent adventures across the Universe. Normally in these action adventures, the characterisation does take a back step, but not with me. The first one always thinks he is right and the second one hates everyone. I have some brilliantly clever names for them, Pryde and Prejudice, but for the life of me, I can't think of a title for the book. I'm sure it will come to me eventually. This author business is easy, I don't know why people make such a fuss....

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2010 9:03:48 AM PDT
Seanachie says:
[[exact same book title that a better known author has used recently]]

1) The word is "copyright", not "copywrite"
2) An out of print book released six years ago is not "recent"
3) Romance sales - over $1.3 billion last year, more than half of consumer market; all other genres divide up the other less-than-half. So who's likely to be better known?

Posted on Aug 26, 2010 10:23:13 PM PDT
Tweedy -

I have a huge idea! What if Pryde's first name was Kitty and she were somehow involved with mutants? I see her as sort of a Juno-esque character, but without the whole pregnant teen thing going on. I don't know - it might need more work, but I think it's got something to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2010 3:00:44 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 27, 2010 3:41:04 AM PDT
Tweedy says:
Seanachie,
1) The word is "copyright", not "copywrite" (Unless, I presume, someone has copyrighted the word "copywrite"?)
2) An out of print book released six years ago is not "recent" - (er, my wife considers mistakes I made six years ago as recent and brings them up on a regular basis)
3) Romance sales - over $1.3 billion last year, more than half of consumer market; all other genres divide up the other less-than-half. So who's likely to be better known? - (but then Dan Brown is pretty well known too, and his stuff is utter crap.)
Tweedy

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2010 3:44:39 AM PDT
Tweedy says:
EA,
You have turned at least one of my mercenaries into a girl!!! It might work as long as you promise we can avoid any of that romantic stuff, I've heard it is quite popular in certain quarters, but I want mine to be more blood then blood red nail varnish......
Tweedy

Posted on Aug 27, 2010 8:01:58 AM PDT
Ah Tweedy, you've broken my heart.

I had no idea you were going for a Mr. Benson (while that idea is tops). But! I am heartened that you've had a happy life to draw your human relationships from, as when I think 'mercenary' and 'blood' I think of girls. Maybe not Miss Bathory, but certainly your average day at the beach!

That's it. I'm for the literary bar. There must be someone there for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 27, 2010 8:55:53 AM PDT
Tweedy says:
EA,
I'm sure we can fix things, I just need to dump the curent wife and move to Florida. Can we wait a few hours though, because it's almost dinner time and have to get the timing right to ensure I get to eat it rather then wear it.
And obviously I am going to be a major catch due to my obvious literary genius and future best-selling author status.
Tweedy
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Susanna Fraser forum
Participants:  10
Total posts:  18
Initial post:  Aug 16, 2010
Latest post:  Aug 27, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions