Customer Discussions > Jo Nesbø forum

after Jo Nesbo

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 12, 2011 6:48:17 AM PDT
panino says:
once complete the full series of Jo Nesbo novels, what as one to do?
who's an author that won't pale in comparison with the great Jo?
thanks!

C

Posted on Sep 6, 2011 11:53:26 PM PDT
Sheila says:
Any chance the first two books in the Harry Hole will be translated and released any time soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 11, 2011 6:25:54 PM PDT
Everything fades...there is no one comparable....HOWEVER..try Analdur Indridason....have read Karin Fossum, Wagner, Johan Theorin (quite good...won many awards), Jussi Adler-Olsen and a few more I don't recall. Started with Mankell and from there went to Jo Nesbo. I can't wait for Nesbo's first books to be published. I hope you have read Mankell.

Good Luck

Posted on Apr 25, 2012 9:59:01 PM PDT
Private says:
Completely addicted to the Harry Hole series-- please translate and make them available on mp3 downloads-- Harry keeps me sane on my commutes!! :D

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 19, 2012 11:51:05 AM PDT
Henning Mankell

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 1, 2012 1:57:23 PM PDT
Try John Connolly's Charlie Parker series

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 7:08:28 PM PDT
I'm addicted as well. Saw an interview of Jo Nesbo. He has refused to make a film of his Harry Hole (pronouced Houle) books. Was approached by the producers of Fargo (Cohen brothers, I think). Why don't they translate his other books. I don't understand. There is a huge audience in English...but if interested, there is one, at least, production of two of Henning Mankell's books...in English...and a Sweedish one with subtitles. Starting a new author this week..K.O. Dahl...also from Norway...a police procedural.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 2, 2012 7:09:46 PM PDT
Are his books police procedurals??

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 10:42:40 PM PST
Is The Phantom the last Harry Hole novel? I was terribly upset by what happened and I would hate to think that your best character is no more.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:54:32 PM PST
We don't know...he was shot, but right after that, we read that a woman heard something or came out....it was left up in the air!! Read The Bat...his first book in the series!!

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 11:21:18 AM PST
I see similarities between Hole and Ian Rankin's John Rebus. I think you'll enjoy Rebus if you like Hole. The coincidences are so uncanny that I wonder if one author has been influenced by the other. Not sure who came first though.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2013 2:41:49 PM PDT
I visited Oslo in search of Harry, poor Harry. Found his digs, chatted up the locals, ate in Schroeder's cafe', where there was nada in terms of signs that HH had ever darkened their doors. Was told that most Norwegians think more of Nesbo as a song writer and performer than as an author. Which Hole novel do you think is the best, BTW. Rich in NY.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2013 2:49:45 PM PDT
Dear Claire, Have you read anything by either John Burdette or Colin Cotterill? As one who has read all of Nesbo's Aw-ree Hoo-lay (acc. to Norwegians I met while in Oslo in 2011, 3 days after the mass killings there) and Mankell and Dahl and 2 Fossum to date, I promise you'll not be disappointed. Both novelists r witty as well as informative while entertaining the reader with suspense and mayhem. Throw in Louise Penny as a great Canadian author (Armand Gamache series) and you could as I and retire for the duration behind the pages of sin and darkness LOL!) Rich in NY

Posted on Jun 2, 2013 7:16:04 AM PDT
cmdupre says:
I think HH was killed by the Wash Post review by Ron Charles. Next thing after that review came the last Harry Hole novel. The review was devastating. Then Hole was dead.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 2, 2013 5:21:42 PM PDT
If you go to Jo Nesbo's blog, you will see an interview he gave to someone (don't remember who). He gave an indication that there would be more HH although he would not keep him alive forever. The interview occurred after the last HH book came out...the one about drugs and trying to save his adopted son (not legally adopted, but emotionally). So, I am expecting at least one more book.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013 8:05:44 PM PDT
tugs47 says:
This was going to be my question. I am looking for #2 "Cockroaches"? Apparently it hasn't been translated into English language yet.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013 8:59:51 PM PDT
I think it has been published in English in London. Not here. I tried going to Amazon UK, but they don't fill orders for us here. If I am wrong, please let me know.

Posted on Aug 9, 2013 9:02:18 PM PDT
I forgot the earlier question. Yes, I have one of his previous books (forgot title) and The
Bat is available here. The only book that is NOT available here is The Cockroaches.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 9, 2013 9:19:33 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 9, 2013 9:28:52 PM PDT
Dear Richard:
Sorry...never saw your post until now. No, have not read the authors you cite, but will look for them. Thks so much. As you probably know, Nesbo's new book "Police" is coming out in October..another Hooley book. You have a very, very long way to go in Nordic noir thrillers. You must get Arnaldur Indridason (much better than Dahl). Ohers include Johan Theorin, James Thompson (American who lives in Finland), Helen Thurston, many more, but I have to dig them up. Most of all, you should read Maj Sjowall and Per Wahloo...They are a couple, and they are the ones that started this whole string of police procedurals, which are in some sense patterned after the Sjowall and Wahloo material. The inspector is called Martin Beck. (But, do not miss Indridason.) I have read them all. As a matter of fact, while reading so many of these books, I came to understand that the best crime writer in the English language is Ruth Rendell..she is British..and these books are much older. Since I have no more Nordic thrillers to read, I am now reading Rendell...and I will try your suggestions. I am Canadian and American. I live in Washington, but lived in New York a long time ago. I like the Snowman and the Phantom the best! I read that Jo Nesbo is the most popular author of police procedurals in Norway....more than Mankell (try and rent the Swedish TV series of Wallander with English subtitles...on Amazon Instant Video if you have it. Can also stream Wallander on Netflix, but it will be the British version, which is also quite good.

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 11:33:36 AM PDT
tugs47 says:
Re: "Kakerlaken"ISBN 10: 3548280498 When is this 2nd Harry Hole book going to be translated into English?

Posted on Aug 10, 2013 4:34:29 PM PDT
You mean, "Cockroaches?" Don't know. Have not heard!!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jo Nesbø forum
Participants:  11
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Jul 12, 2011
Latest post:  Aug 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions