Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Jim Butcher forum

Stop knocking authors for book prices, or stop reading!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-6 of 6 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 10, 2011 11:28:03 AM PDT
L. Harrison says:
Honestly! "Do authors care...". Authors work HARD! They deserve to be paid, and paid well, for the entertainment they provide me. Movie stars make millions, directors make millions, and they would be NOTHING without a good story to tell. When was the last time you heard about the uber-rich writer, though? I was upset about the Kindle price until I read (and I hope it's true) that the majority of the cost goes to the writer. In that case, it's a fine deal. I don't have to figure out where to put all my new books, and in the case of a fire or evacuation, I can take them all with me. I am paying for the ideas, not the format, so I'm a happy e-reader.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2011 7:03:43 AM PDT
'Becca Cole says:
Amen.

Posted on Sep 16, 2011 10:56:39 PM PDT
Kelly says:
actually, I think Jim said the publisher set the kindle price. Part of why we saw things like the hc of Changes costing less than the ebook

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 11:29:52 PM PDT
robin says:
I too am taken aback by the price of the eBooks and my first thought was well I'm just not going to pay that much for an eBook. But then I remembered the reasons I bought a kindle. The first reason - Space. I read so much that I literally ran out of space for my books. I couldn't make myself part with any of them so the kindle was the perfect space saver. The second and possibly the most important reason - I abhor the way paper feels. Its has always given me a kinda creepy feeling...like fingernails on a chalkboard. I dont have to worry about that with my kindle. So now I know I will pay the prices, even if I dont agree with it, so that I will be able to read my favorite authors. Jim Butcher is one of those authors and I will be pre ordering Cold Days and whining about the 14.99 price. I guess my only real complaint is that none of the books that I have bought are truly mine. ie...i cant loan, share, or give away. And for these prices I should be able to do what i want to with them...even if it is to stick them in the archived section

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:46:49 PM PST
Once an author signs with the publishers they are the ones with the right to control it's sale and price. And the author is not the one getting the extra money. But either way, its an outrageous price gouging to charge MORE for the ebook than for the hardcover, which is the case for many ebooks. The cost for creating either the physical copy or the ebook is a set price; after that, ebooks can be sold for pennies (webservers to hold books) whereas the physical copy costs a few $ to create, (materials, maintenance on the machines, etc.) and even more to distribute.
The publishing houses (Baen and maybe others. I don't know) who charge $5 an ebook are making just as much profit as they do on a physical copy. Most publishers tack on an extra $5 - 10 pure profit because, Who cares about consumers anyway? This is how much the book usually costs, so ***** YOU!
And this just isn't fair. But given time, they will learn to their sorrow, as the music industry did, that they are creating the biggest pirating problem of all, from their once-loyal customer base. People will return the publishers' lack of respect tenfold.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 12, 2012 7:48:04 PM PST
And on the issue of not really owning your book, that is another example of the same general publishers' belief that we are licensing, not buying, our books.

From: http://medialoper.com/is-book-sharing-really-a-threat-to-publishing/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, why are publishers opposed to the Nook's crippled ebook sharing scheme? As one Unnamed Publishing Executive told Publishers Lunch:
"if publishers agree to lending then every ebook offer now and in the future will come with this consumer feature. Over time, I'm concerned that lending won't grow the market and in fact could hurt it."
What Unnamed Publishing Executive seems to fear most is a sense of consumer entitlement. If consumers have the right to share ebooks now, they'll expect to have that right until the end of time. Never mind the fact that consumers share print books all the time. Since the sharing of books is apparently a bad thing, we can only assume that the ease with which consumers share printed books is a flaw inherent in the print format. Fortunately publishers can correct that flaw in the digital realm through the liberal use of oppressive DRM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have the right to do whatever you want with what you legally bought, my advice is to do a 5-second google search on how to liberate your books from their DRM. Then you can read on whatever platform you want: Nook, Kindle, SONY Reader, Kobo, etc. and lend them if you want, but if you lend them, the right thing to do is refrain from reading it yourself or giving to more than one person at the same time.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Jim Butcher forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  6
Initial post:  Sep 10, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions