Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jessy Lanza Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty Father's Day Gifts Amazon Cash Back Offer LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship LoveandFriendship  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Outdoor Recreation SnS
Customer Discussions

Review Comment Thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-10 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Nov 27, 2006 12:43:44 PM PST
You're absolutely right. My copy even came with a sticker on it saying that David Bowie's intro was on it ... but it's not there. I was a bit disappointed but am still happy to have this on dvd.

Posted on Nov 28, 2006 9:12:22 AM PST
S. Fennell says:
What the reviewer says is very true, but the blame lies with Sony Home Video, not Amazon. The DVD box has "with a special introduction by David Bowie" clearly marked on the back, even though the intro is nowhere to be found. Amazon can only go by what they're told by the manufacturer, and it's Sony that has screwed up this time around.

Posted on Nov 30, 2006 5:58:25 AM PST
In fact, over the years, three introductions to The Snowman have been made - the original with Raymond Briggs himself walking through a field that morphs into the animation, the David Bowie introduction that was made for American audiences who were believed to need a celebrity (and which many people find fake and dislike), and a 20th anniversary animated intro using the 'Father Christmas' character from another Raymond Briggs book/movie. Many people, including me, feel the original Raymond Briggs introduction to be the best and most genuine. It has never been released on DVD in the UK. If this is the introduction you have, then you should count yourself lucky! It's personal taste - everyone seems to prefer the intro they saw on first watching The Snowman.

Posted on Apr 29, 2008 1:13:05 PM PDT
50% Happy says:
Unfortunately, we are now looking at 2 years without a change being made in the advertising. The DVD copy I received did NOT have any mention of Bowie listed on it, (in spite of the on-going listing in the site's product description). So what might have been an honest mistake when the DVD was first released has, after 2 years, been turned into just another case of poor attention to detail by Amazon. Also, although some may consider the Brigg's intro "superior", that observation doesn't address the issue of false advertising... ;-)

Posted on Nov 12, 2008 4:32:16 PM PST
J. S. says:
I also bought this specifically because it said David Bowie. What is worse, I bought it a a gift to a friend. How embarrassing!

Posted on Feb 16, 2009 6:18:56 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 16, 2009 6:19:45 AM PST
I am absolutely astonished that anyone should want the David Bowie intro. I've nothing against Bowie, far from it, but HE did not write the book, HE isn't the child in the story, HIS isn't the authentic voice. Only Raymond Briggs can claim these things and only HE should be heard and seen at the start of this magical timeless piece. Whoever felt the need to change or add to this classic was seriously misguided - it's sacrilege. It's a pity that some customers seem more drawn to the Bowie brand than to the Snowman itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2010 6:06:14 PM PST
It was the David Bowie version that I first saw in the United States. I still remember how much my older daughter (she is now 31) cried at the end. I kept thinking it was the David Bowie version I had on VHS but it is actually Raymond Briggs. While his may be the more authentic one, it is the one I heard first that means the most to me, and that is the one with David Bowie. I was tempted to buy the Amazon DVD since it mentioned David Bowie, but it appears he isn't on it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 3:01:31 AM PST
A. Colace says:
I can't tell from all this discussion if the version that is available here on Amazon includes the intro with Raymond Briggs (which is my preference as well). I've seen all three intros and I while all are acceptable, I love hearing Mr. Briggs leading us into the story with the live action shot morphing into the animation. Can anyone say if this is the version available?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 10, 2011 12:48:24 PM PST
I really can't answer this properly because I ordered and received the VHS version which was supposed to have the David Bowie introduction (according to Amazon) but actually had the Raymond Briggs one. Again the one I wanted, not because of authenticity but because it was what I saw first, was the one with David Bowie. While it was simply acting, his takes place in an attic and he shows us the snowman scarf he received. I would gladly spend the money for a DVD, but since it is not David Bowie, there is no point in wasting more money. Amazon really needs to take some responsibility here. I am very disappointed with how they are treating this.

Posted on Dec 1, 2014 12:53:58 PM PST
Wendy says:
I agree with Susan M.'s comment. I want to order this for my grandson, but knowing it's not the version with the David Bowie intro is very upsetting. That was the classic I first watched with my own children and it was a beautiful introduction, especially since he was holding the scarf that was given to him by the snowman - that made it even more touching and real. If anyone knows where I can get the David Bowie version, please post and let us know.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Amazon will display this name with all your submissions, including reviews and discussion posts. (Learn more)
Name:
Badge:
This badge will be assigned to you and will appear along with your name.
There was an error. Please try again.
Please see the full guidelines here.

Official Comment

As a representative of this product you can post one Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more
The following name and badge will be shown with this comment:
 (edit name)
After clicking the Post button you will be asked to create your public name, which will be shown with all your contributions.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.  Learn more
Otherwise, you can still post a regular comment on this review.

Is this your product?

If you are the author, artist, manufacturer or an official representative of this product, you can post an Official Comment on this review. It will appear immediately below the review wherever it is displayed.   Learn more

System timed out

We were unable to verify whether you represent the product. Please try again later, or retry now. Otherwise you can post a regular comment.

Since you previously posted an Official Comment, this comment will appear in the comment section below. You also have the option to edit your Official Comment.   Learn more
The maximum number of Official Comments have been posted. This comment will appear in the comment section below.   Learn more
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  10
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Nov 27, 2006
Latest post:  Jan 4, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers