Search Inside the Book is a program that lets you search and browse millions of books across Amazon.com.
With Search Inside, Amazon search results include matches based on every word inside a book, not just results that match the title or author of the book. It's like browsing a gigantic bookstore with millions of searchable pages at your fingertips. We help our customers discover and sample books to ensure that they'll be satisfied with their purchases. Our agreements with publishers and copyright holders currently limit how much of the book is available for preview. We continue to work with publishers to expand these limits.
If you are a publisher or author and wish to include your titles in our Search Inside the Book! program, please visit our
Publishers' Resource Guide for details.
Books enrolled in the Search Inside program can be easily identified throughout the site by a
Look Inside! arrow attached to the book cover image. On the detail page, the main cover image is also labeled with a
Click to Look Inside! arrow. You can also hover over the book cover image and view a search box and set of quick links to explore within the book.
Besides previewing and searching for books, you can use Search Inside to perform a number of different types of searches:
- Look below the book's title and in the "Inside This Book" section for the first sentence of the book and a link to start reading the first page.
- Key Phrases are made up of both Capitalized Phrases, or "CAPs," and Statistically Improbable Phrases or "SIPs." Together, these provide a quick glimpse into distinctive phrases and subjects in the text of the book. You can click on a Key Phrase to view a list of books in which the phrase occurs.
- If a book cites other books, or is cited by other books, you'll see a list of those, along with links to the page where the citation occurs.
Books on Related Topics
- Our Books on Related Topics feature uses Key Phrases to identify books that include similar topics and Key Phrases.
- This is a collection of statistics on the text in a book, such as the number of words and paragraphs, and readability measurements for the text.
Because of our agreements with publishers, some features and pages are available only if you're logged into your Amazon account and have made a prior purchase. If you choose not to log in or haven't made your first purchase with us, we still provide a helpful set of preview pages within the book.
There are several reasons why your account may not be eligible for Search Inside the Book:
If your purchase is recent, it may not have shipped from our warehouse. You must have a completed order in your order history, and an order is not complete until all of the items in the order have shipped.
Digital items and items purchased from another seller through the Amazon site do not qualify at this time.
If you recently created a new Amazon.com account, your order history may have remained with your old account.
We created the images that you see in this feature by scanning pages from actual books, so they are almost exactly what the book will look like. However, the images you see are optimized for viewing on a computer monitor; printed pages usually have a much higher resolution and better quality.
In some cases, pages or parts of pages will be omitted from Search Inside! because of special requests from the publisher or because of copyright restrictions.
If we offer both a paperback and hardcover edition of a book, we typically scan only one version and share the page images between both books, since the text is otherwise identical. If this is the case, we will indicate which version of the book the text comes from.