These Prohibited Seller Activities and Actions are established to maintain a selling platform that is safe for buyers and fair for sellers of both products and services. Failure to comply with the terms of this policy can result in cancellation of listings, suspension from use of Amazon.com tools and reports, and/or the removal of selling privileges.
Note: This policy is in addition to, and in no way limits, your other obligations pursuant to your seller agreement or otherwise.
The following guidelines apply to both sellers of products and services. For guidelines specific to products or services, see the information following this section.
- Attempts to divert transactions or buyers: Any attempt to circumvent the established Amazon.com sales process or to divert Amazon.com users to another website or sales process is prohibited. Specifically, any advertisements, marketing messages (special offers) or "calls to action" that lead, prompt, or encourage Amazon.com users to leave the Amazon.com website are prohibited. Prohibited activities include the following:
- The use of email intended to divert customers away from the Amazon.com sales process.
- The inclusion of hyperlinks, URLs or web addresses within any seller generated confirmation email messages or any product/listing description fields that are intended to divert customers away from the Amazon.com sales process.
- Unauthorized and improper business names: The Business Name (identifying a seller’s business entity on Amazon.com) must be a name that: accurately identifies the seller; is not misleading; and the seller has the right to use (that is, the name cannot include the trademark of, or otherwise infringe on, any trademark or other intellectual property right of any person). Furthermore, a seller cannot use a business name that contains an email suffix such as .com, .net, .biz, and so on.
- Inappropriate email communications: All email communications with buyers must be courteous, relevant and appropriate. Unsolicited email communications with Amazon.com users, email communications other than as necessary for order fulfillment and related customer service, and emails containing marketing communications of any kind (including within otherwise permitted communications) are prohibited.
- Direct email addresses: Buyers and sellers may communicate with one another via the Buyer-Seller Messaging Service, which assigns unique Amazon-generated email addresses to both parties. Sellers are prohibited from providing or soliciting direct, non-Amazon-generated email addresses on the Amazon.com website or in correspondence through the Buyer-Seller Messaging Service.
- Operating multiple Seller Central accounts: Operating and maintaining multiple Seller Central accounts is prohibited. If you have a legitimate business need for a second account, you can apply for an exception to this policy. Contact Seller Support and choose "Other account issues" from the "Account Settings" section of the form.
In your request, provide an explanation of the legitimate business need for a second account. To be considered for approval, you must have the following:
You will receive a response to your request within 2 to 3 business days.
- An account in good standing with excellent Customer Metrics
- A separate email address and bank account for the new account
- No intention to sell the same products or services in both accounts
- Misuse of the Amazon selling platform: All sellers are able to access and use the Amazon.com selling platform. If a seller uploads excessive amounts of data repeatedly, or otherwise uses the platform in an excessive or unreasonable way, it can create a disproportional load on the platform and impair the ability of other sellers to easily access and use the platform. If a seller is misusing or making excessive or unreasonable use of the Amazon.com selling platform, Amazon may in its sole discretion restrict or block the seller’s access to product feeds or any other platform functions that are being misused until the seller stops its misuse.
- Misuse of ratings and feedback or reviews: Any attempt to manipulate ratings, feedback, or reviews is prohibited.
- Ratings and feedback: The rating and feedback features allow buyers to evaluate the overall performance of a seller, helping sellers to develop a reputation within the Amazon Marketplace. You may not post abusive or inappropriate feedback or include personal information about a transaction partner. This also includes posting ratings or feedback to your own account. You may request feedback from a buyer, however you may not pay or offer any incentive to a buyer for either providing or removing feedback.
- Reviews: Reviews are important to the Amazon Marketplace, providing a forum for feedback about product and service details and reviewers' experiences with products and services — positive or negative. You may not write reviews for products or services that you have a financial interest in, including reviews for products or services that you or your competitors sell. Additionally, you may not provide compensation for a review other than a free copy of the product. If you offer a free product, it must be clear that you are soliciting an unbiased review. The free product must be provided in advance; no refunds are permitted after the review is written. Review solicitations that ask for only positive reviews or that offer compensation are prohibited. You may not ask buyers to remove negative reviews.
- Misuse of the Amazon.com A-to-z Guarantee: Any misuse of the Amazon.com A-to-z Guarantee claims process is prohibited. Sellers who have an excessive number or dollar amount of A-to-z Guarantee claims are subject to termination. In cases where a buyer is dissatisfied with a product or service, buyers can contact the seller to make arrangements for a refund, return, or exchange, as appropriate. Amazon reserves the right to seek reimbursement from the seller if we reimburse a buyer under the terms of the Amazon.com A-to-z Guarantee.
Additional Guidelines for Sellers of Products
The following guidelines apply to sellers of products:
- Shipment of BMVD Products: Books, Music, Video, and DVD products offered through Amazon.com must be shipped within two business days of the date the order confirmation is made available to you.
- Post-transaction price manipulation and excessive shipping fees: Any attempt to increase the sale price of an item after a transaction has been completed is prohibited. Additionally, sellers cannot set excessive order fulfillment and shipping costs.
- Matching product offerings inaccurately: When listing items for sale using an existing product detail page, the product being offered must be listed on a product detail page that accurately describes the product in all respects, including with respect to the following attributes: manufacturer, edition, binding, version, format, or player compatibility. Sellers may not match their item to a detail page with a different ISBN, UPC, EAN, or other external identifier.
Exception: Club editions of audio CDs should be listed against the detail page for the standard edition of the CD, even if the UPCs of the two editions are different, if the following criteria are met:
- The content on both editions is identical; and
- A page with the UPC for the club edition does not already exist in our catalog. Use the listing comments to indicate that the item is a club edition. Format of the products (CD) must be identical.
- Creating duplicate product detail pages: Creating a product detail page for a product already in the Amazon.com catalog is prohibited.
- Pre-sells of BMVD Products: Sellers should not list or match against Books, Music, Video, or DVD products that Amazon designates as pre-orderable. BMVD Products offered through Amazon.com must be shipped within two business days of the date the order confirmation is made available to you. It is also important to maintain accurate inventory records, as instances of "stock-outs" could be reflected in your seller feedback rating. If an item you are offering will not be available for immediate shipping upon order, either cancel the order or alert the buyer, and initiate a refund if necessary. Amazon will immediately cancel any seller listing for Books, Music, Video or DVD items that Amazon designates as pre-orderable.
Additional Guidelines for Service Providers
The following guidelines apply to service providers:
- Upselling: The service provider must perform the service as outlined in the scope of work on the service detail page on the date the service was purchased. The service provider may not solicit additional product, parts or service orders before, during or after the service call.
If the buyer requests services, parts, or products outside of the defined scope of work, then the service provider may fulfill that request and charge the buyer directly.
- Unapproved technicians: For in-home services, if you send a non-approved technician to fulfill a service order, your selling privileges may be removed.
Please use the e-mail address associated with your Amazon.com Seller account.