Kindle Keyboard Software Update
Software Update Version 3.4
Version 3.4 is a brand new, free software update for Kindle Keyboard that includes:
- Improved Font: We've improved the reading font to have more contrast and be more crisp.
- Parental Controls: With the latest software update for Kindle Keyboard, parents can
to the Experimental Web Browser, the Kindle Store, and Archived Items. While the Kindle Store and
Archived Items are locked with Parental Controls, you can continue to buy books from a computer and
send them to the Kindle wirelessly for a child to read.
- Kindle Format 8: KF8 makes books look even better with support for author specified fonts
book styling options.
- Comic Books: Kindle Keyboard now supports comic books with Kindle Panel View. Supported
be purchased from the Kindle Store. Books open in Kindle Panel View by default (a view that allows you
to read a comic book panel by panel).
- Children's Picture Books: Kindle Keyboard supports children's picture books with Kindle
Pop-Up. Supported titles can be purchased from the Kindle Store.
- Whispersync for Voice: Now you can switch back and forth between reading and listening
losing your place. Whispersync for Voice will synchronize what you read on any Kindle platform device
with Audible playback on Kindle Keyboard, Kindle Fire, or on Audible apps for iPhone and Android.
What Version do I have?
- From the Home screen, press the Menu key and then select Settings.
- On the Settings screen, your software version is shown at the bottom next to the page number.
If you see:
- Version: Kindle 3.3, install 3.4
- Versions prior to 3.1 (3.0.3, 3.0.2, 3.0.1, or 3.0), install 3.1, then 3.3, and then
- Versions 3.1, 3.2., 3.2.1, install 3.3 and then install 3.4.
- Version: Kindle 3.4, your Kindle Keyboard software is up to date.
Download and Install Kindle Keyboard Software Updates
Here's how to download your Kindle Keyboard software and transfer it to your device via USB:
- Download your software:
Click on the corresponding link below to
for your Kindle Keyboard model directly to your computer:
Tip: Your serial number is listed under Device Info in the
page. From the Home menu, press the Menu key, and then select Settings.
- Transfer software to your Kindle Keyboard: Turn your Kindle Keyboard on and connect it to
computer with the USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer onto the Kindle
drive. Don't drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive.
- Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure that the
transfer to your Kindle Keyboard is complete before you disconnect. After the file has transferred
successfully, eject the Kindle Keyboard to safely disconnect it from your computer. Disconnect the USB
cable from both your Kindle Keyboard and your computer.
- Start the software update: From the Home screen, press the Menu key, and then select
Press the Menu key again, and then select Update Your Kindle. (This option will be grayed out
most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.) Select
Ok when prompted if you want to perform an update. Your Kindle Keyboard will restart twice during the
update. After the first restart, you'll see the message "Your Kindle is Updating." The device will
return to the Home screen once the update is finished.
Free Access to AT&T Hotspots
Enjoy free Wi-Fi access at AT&T hotspots across the U.S. to shop for and download Kindle content
AT&T registration, sign-in, or password required.
Note: You will need the Kindle Keyboard software update 3.1 or
later to use free Wi-Fi access at AT&T hotspots.
Troubleshooting Update Issues
The Update menu option on the
Settings page is grayed out.
The update file is in the incorrect directory, or was not transferred
Plug your Kindle Keyboard back into your computer and verify
the update file is present in the root directory of the Kindle Keyboard, not in a folder.
The update file copied to your Kindle Drive is not the correct version
Follow the instructions in What Version do
I have and use the appropriate software version in order to update your device.
File download won't complete or doesn't appear to
Your firewall software may be blocking the download.
Verify that your firewall is setup to allow the file transfer.
Internet Explorer may prevent downloads.
Right-click the download link and select "save as"
to save the file to your computer. If this method is unsuccessful, complete the following steps to
download as an Administrator:
- From the Start menu, right-click on the Internet Explorer
- Select Run as Administrator.
- Return to this page and try the download again.
Received an error message when selecting
Update Your Kindle.
Re-download the installer from the Download
your software section of this page.
The software update file was renamed.
Delete the update file from your computer and Kindle Keyboard,
and repeat the software update process above.
Unsupported software modifications are present.
The Kindle Keyboard doesn't support software modification, and
will be unable to update the Kindle software if it has been modified. Contact the original
developer of the software modification for instructions on how to remove the modification.
After the update, the device is still showing the previous
version number on the Settings screen.
The update did not install correctly.
If you installed the update via USB, please repeat the
If your installation happened automatically online, the update will complete the next time
your device enters sleep mode. After you turn it on again, the correct version number
will display on the Settings page.
If you still can't update your Kindle software using the instructions above or you encounter any
difficulty with your software update, please contact Kindle Support by clicking the Contact Us button
in the right hand column of this page.