Sellers can assign condition ratings to sports collectible products to describe the appearance of the product (such as color, images, centering and surface), which vary from the commonly used rating scale of mint, near mint, or good to company specific rating scales (for example, Professional Sports Authenticator’s rating scale of 1 to 100, or Sportscard Guaranty Service’s rating scale of 30 to 100).
The descriptions below lists the rating scale commonly used to describe the condition of sports cards:
▪ Gem Mint - The sports card is as flawless as possible. The image is centered, with perfect corners and edges to the naked eye, no print spots on the surface, with flawless color and no scratches.
▪ Mint - Only very minor flaws. The image is slightly off-center, centered, corners are mint upon close inspection, edges mint to the naked eye, one minor spot on the surface, very minor color imperfections. Otherwise an excellent sports card.
▪ Near Mint-Mint - Close inspection reveals slight surface wear or slightly frayed corners. Slight roughness, minor chipping or very minor notching is allowed on the edges. Surface has few print spots or minor speckling, and there are minor color imperfections.
▪ Near Mint - Close inspection reveals slight surface wear or slightly frayed corners. Slight roughness, minor chipping or very minor notching is allowed on the edges. Surface has few print spots or minor speckling, and there are minor color imperfections.
▪ Excellent-Mint - May have a printing defect or visible surface wear. Slight diamond cutting is allowed. Corners are fuzzy but without fraying, and moderate chipping can be noticed on the edges.
▪ Excellent - Minor corner rounding. Edges might have minor chipping and noticeable roughness. Minor noticeable surface scratches and some los of gloss, but no scuffing.
▪ Very Good - Excellent - Slightly rounded corners, with moderate layering, chipped or notched edging, surface wear, some original gloss.
▪ Very Good - Some rounded corners, heavy notching on the edges, slight surface scratches or scuffing, noticeable color imperfections.
▪ Good - Several creases are apparent. Corners are heavily notched, and surface presents heavy print spots. No gloss.
▪ Poor - The sports card shows advanced wear. Surface presents heavy creases, corners are rounded, edges chipped and severe stains can be noticed.