Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on October 1, 2000
After suffering through Lucy Calkins's huge book of little use and Donald Graves's dry meditations, I finally found a book that is worth saving after that graduate writing course is over. Tompkins devotes a good deal of time discussing the many types of expository writing and many genre studies, above and beyond the theories and ideas about setting up a writing workshop. The activities and examples are clear and useful, the diagrams terrific. Tompkins really knows how to write and, I assume, to teach. I will be using this book to teach graduate students of education and add its wonderful contents to my own repetoire of teaching tools in my 4th gr. classroom.
on September 30, 2005
This book is an excellent resource for teachers. It is full of great ideas and of lessons for writing. It is also very helpful to those teachers who are reluctant to have their students write daily. The feature that I like best is that the author includes great trade book lists to assist the teacher in modeling good writing.
on July 7, 2007
I already had an earlier addition of this book that I borrowed from a friend because I needed it for one of my graduate classes. Since books are soooo expensive we share whenever we can, but I really found this book to be useful so I bought my own copy. I highly recommend it for K-5 teachers...even upper grade teachers could benefit from it. It's full of ideas for writing in every genre. An excellent resource.
on July 16, 2011
Be aware that if you purchase "new", you will not be receiving the CD that is supposed to accompany the text.

I did receive the book quickly, and in new condition.
on October 15, 2009
Whether you're a veteran or a newbie at teaching, Tompkins' book will give you a foundation for lessons on any type of writing you need to teach. I'm a published author as well as a teacher, and I use it all year long. This isn't the latest edition, but it really doesn't matter. Grab it, you'll love it.
on May 27, 2013
I rented this book through AMazon for my college teaching course! It actually arrived when it was suppose to and it is full of great useful information. I wish I would have purchased this book instead of renting it!
on November 3, 2013
This book was written for an advanced writing course for elementary education majors. Some of the people taking the class, including me, are in the education department but aren't education majors. The book used terms and concepts that I didn't always understand because I didn't have that background. There was also an assignment to write a resume and application letter using specific formatting that weren't clearly explained in the assignment, and which the book did not explain at all. I wish the book had a section on writing resumes and how to adapt concepts to related fields, like Communication Disorders. That being said, I think this book would be a good resource for its intended audience.
on December 29, 2013
I needed this book for a course on guided writing. Very helpful and easy to read. A huge asset to books related to the writing process. I will be referring back to it often as I set up my own guided writing process.
on December 28, 2012
I am always looking for resources to use in my classroom to help my students and myself to write better. This book has many good ideas.
on October 27, 2011
Pleased with this book. I had to buy this book for one of my education courses. It is very helpful and useful.