Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on October 3, 2001
I bought this book after reading about it in my yoga magazine thinking I could really use a good book of poems to ponder and this book is terrific. The poems really will quiet your mind. I love that such a wide array of authors are represented - from Rumi to Dogen to Emily Dickenson to Walt Whitman. A great collection. Glad I bought it.
on May 10, 2000
Elegantly, Stephen Mitchell has compiled sublime poetry from the world's sacred traditions in this inspiring collection. In a single reading one can experience the lyrical wisdom of the Bhagavad Gita, paradoxical precision of Chuang-Tzu, enthusiasm of Gerard Manley Hopkins, and the sensuality of Rumi and the Song of Solomon. When poets of the sacred explore the divine, whether as a part of a religious tradition or apart from religious tradition, all rises and all converges. Beauty reigns. This collection invites one to hold the whole world of the sacred in one's hands and savor the mystical beauty of poetry and divinity.
on October 11, 2000
Much like Mitchell's Tao Te Ching this selection of poerty from various spiritual traditions is a joy to read and a nice tool for reflection and meditation. Zazen On The Mountain by Li Po has become my favorite poem and this work has been helpful to me in many ways. The Enlightened Heart is a lovely book and a great companion to his Tao Te Ching. Thumbs up for Mitchell's work as editor.
on March 17, 1998
The collection of poetry from various spiritual teachers within this book finds its way into the talks I give at church, correspondence with friends, and meditation moments. I borrowed this book from our church library, and have found it so inspiring I couldn't let it go back until I found a copy for my personal library...I've had the book for over a year. It is my favorite collection of spiritual poetry.
on October 6, 1997
I received this book as a gift many years ago, and have given it as a gift countless times. Stephen Mitchell has culled sacred poetry from most Western and Eastern traditions, and translated it beautifully. I go back to this book again and again. At different points in my life, different poems appeal to me. For instance, after my house was robbed, I found a haiku: "The thief left it behind / the moon / at my window."

This is a great bar mitzvah or confirmation gift.
on February 11, 1999
I ran across "The Enlightened Heart" while visiting an ashram in Central Florida. The book has been an inspiration by providing meditative material from various cultures throughout the ages. Much like Mitchell's "Tao Te Ching" the translation of the sacred texts is fluid and thought provoking, shedding new light on the abstract process of ancient masters. The reading is simply delightful.
on June 12, 2001
One of the most inspiring collections or sacred poetry ever compiled. The translations are perfect. The sensual/spiritual quality of the words can transport you into altered states. Beautiful. Al Link - 4 Freedoms Tantra
This is a compact anthology, but a wonderful collection that includes Li Po, Wu-Men, Rumi, Kabir, Mirabai, Rilke... One of my personal favorites
on June 11, 2016
I bought the kindle version because it was convenient. The page setup is bad. There are lots of misspellings. It is difficult to figure out the author in many cases. I have the paperback version which is very well done.
This is a great little collection if only it would be easy to read in digital form. Harper Collins should redo the book and hire a decent editor!
on August 19, 2006
The title itself speaks for this tender and uplifting collection of "spiritual" poetry. Mitchell's translation of some of the psalms have a particular clarity for me, and the eclectic mixture of ancient and modern, long and short poems are meditation material that renews me. This is a gift to share with seekers and finders.