Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports

on May 2, 2002
This book is a down-to-earth, hands-on guide for new project managers as well as for those who are experienced, but still struggling with attaining successful implementaiton of projects in their organization. It provides a very "grounded" approach--the author's extensive "real life" experience was obvious. The book focuses largely on the technical aspects of projects, but also very nicely brings to light the key human elements (effective team leadership, stakeholder management and communication) that are critical for project success. I also liked how it mixed the strategic and tactical elements of project management into a kind of "best practices" guide to project managers. The layout and storyline are designed to be a quick, easy reference and a fun read.
on May 2, 2002
From the perspective of both consulting and project management within my own firm, but also in my experience of working with clients who struggle with understanding and implementing successful projects, this is an excellent resource for them.
Judith H. Barnes
Vice President & Senior Consultant
Strategic Management Group, Inc.
on September 17, 2005
I've been in the field for roughly 10 years and I find this book to be provide sound theortical and practical advice. There are a lot books that explain the theory/science of project management (pm), but few that also deal with the art of pm. Yes, advanced theories and methods are useful, but 80% of your time is spent on the basics, which most PM get wrong, at least part of the time, during a project.

The book's focus in on-track. It provides the author's personal perspective and advice based on "war wounds." I use it as a primier reference for day-to-day issues on projects and serves as a useful reminder on issues we take for granted.
on November 27, 2001
As an experienced project manager, I've read many of the popular books on project management. This book ranks with the best of them because it contains a broad range of experience-based practical ideas. Best yet, it's very easy to read and full of thought provoking information that's easy to apply. I haven't found this in many other PM books. I recommend it.
on July 12, 2004
This is an excellent text for indviduals new to project management as well as experienced project managers. While short on advanced project management tools and techniques, the book does provide solid advice and best-practice guidance for achieving project success...well done! One recommendation would be to package a CD with document templates.
on November 16, 2001
As someone who is new to project work, I was looking for a book that would be somewhat easy to read, yet informative. This book definitely did it! It is very well organized and tells the story of a project manager who was introduced to project management by accident. The topics are introduced in easy to read chapters that unfold in the same order as projects do - very helpful in understanding how things "fit".A lot of good information is provided on planning, team-building, budgeting, scheduling, communication, documentation and project close-out. The book is loaded with tips on how to do things better or smarter.This book helped me really understand project management and gave me a number of the tools I need to be able to manage my projects successfully. If you're an experienced project manager, this book may seem a bit basic, but would still be a good review.
on April 29, 2002
Gary Heerkens has done an excellent job of breaking project complexities into direct and understandable terms. This book is useful for both the new and experienced PM. For new PM it is clear and understandable. For the experienced PM it shows useful approaches that we have forgotten (or do not want to admit we never knew). This book gets to the important and useful info and cuts through the bull.
on April 9, 2004
I too have read a lot of project management books, and found this one to be one of the best. It is written clearly and simply and is helpful to both new and experienced project managers. It is a good book overall. I might recommend a certain chapter from book X and a different chapter from book Y to someone, but I would recommend this whole book.
on September 21, 2005
Book is good for someone that already has experience in project management. Some of the sections are kind of drawn out but good none the less. I would recommend this to others.
on November 24, 2001
I have managed several projects, but have never received any formal training in project management. This book came in handy for giving me helpful techniques and a good overall perspective of project management. I would recommend this book to anyone who wants to polish their project management skills.