Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Nothing But Thieves All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Shop Now Sale

on March 29, 2006
This book is a must have for the occasional do-it-your-selfer. Being a compilation of all of the Don Casey books on sailboat maintenance, I find myself pulling this book off the shelf more often than any other maintenance book I own.

I find the drawings and step by step instructions to be well thought out and easy to follow. Geared for the occasional weekend warrior, this book shows you how to do it right while pointing out many of the pitfalls that often accompany a sailboat maintenance project.

I highly recommend it for those like me who own an aging sailboat but don't have a Pentagon sized budget laying on the side to give the yard.
0Comment45 of 45 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 13, 2007
This is compilation of 5 Don Casey's books, but only very small portions of material are doubled. There is part on marine diesel, but there isn't on marine gas engine. Fiberglass repair chapter describes only strightforward repairs of the hull. I couldn't find much info about propeler and rudder shafts repairs. But these are my only complains.

Besides it is excellent book full of very clear pictures. Great source of info about materials and paints, great chapter on AC/DC systems etc.

I probably won't buy any other "sailboat repairs" book.
11 comment21 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 10, 2007
I own a 30 foot sailboat that is just about 30 years old. Although my boat is in overall good condition, there are always things to touch up and fix.

I am extremely happy with this book and refers to it constantly before attemtption a new task. A few of the things I have used the book for:
- Refinishing interior wood
- Maintaining the engine (oil changes, valve settings, shaft alinghtment)
- Maintaining topsides (gelcoat repairs, general maintenance and upkeep, re-sealing deck hardware)
- Electrical work, troubleshooting stray currents and partial re-wiring
- Maintaining and fixing the head
- Canvas work is next. :-)

I am amazed at Don Casey's huge knowledge on sailboat maintenance and repair. I do not think there is a better or more copmlete book on the subject of sailboat maintenance.

I highly recommend this book for all sailboat owners. I can also reconmmend it as a gift.

Fair winds to you!
on January 9, 2007
As full-time cruising liveaboards for the past 3 1/2 years, I can honestly say that every sailboat owner should have a copy of this fantastic book!

From engine issues to canvas work there isn't any feature about sailboat maintenance Don hasn't covered in good easy to understand detail. When things go wrong (and they always do) his book is the first place I turn to figure out what course of action to take.

For those who wish to do all the work themselves or for those that will hire others, the book will pay for itself many times over without a doubt.

Great illustrations and a subtle wit make this a very enjoyable read.

It's always enjoyable to discover a product that delivers real value and not just fluffy hype... obviously written by a guy who really does know his stuff!
on November 26, 2012
I just got this book in from Amazon. I need to work on my own 30 year old L. F. Herreshoff designed H-28 sailboat. I ordered two Don Casey books. These books by Don Casey cover 99% of the things which I need to work on, complete with drawings and diagrams. This book gives you an extensive list of information topics for repairing your boat properly. This book is a reference book and doesn't spend a lot of time on any one subject. This book is well worth ordering if you plan on doing any repairs to your sailboat.

Update (2 weeks later):
I've had a chance to look closer at this book and I just reduced my opinion of this book from 5 Stars to 4 Stars. The reason was his explanation on Basic Electronics. I came away scratching my head and wondering what the heck he was saying. This is information from a Physic's Course for people who understand it better. What he considered were his layman's explanations were still over my head.

However, I found his How-To information very useful. Even his How-To on electronics was very useful. But if you need to know exact numbers on how much electricity that you are pulling and how much you need (And you have been out of school as long as I have been), I would suggest ordering an additional book on boat electronics. (I suggest "Boatowner's Illustrated Electrical Handbook" by Charlie Wing.)

Beyond his attempt (failed attempt in my case) at educating the general public on Basic Electronics, this is a good book to have on board your boat for a quick reference to repairs.
on September 12, 2007
Beware when you buy Don Casey-books. If you are not careful, you end up with buying the same books twice. This book is a compilation of 6 books by Don Casey that has previously been published separately.

Don Casey is easy to read, but at the same time he is never shallow. There are plenty of illustrations. Here you get a lot of information. It is written for sailboats, but I think every boat-owner should have a copy.
on April 8, 2014
Besides the basic required USCG Rules of Navigation, there are only two books I consider absolutely essential to ownership of a sailboat. The first is Nigel Calder's "Mechanical and Electrical Systems for Boats". The other is Don Casey's "Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual". These books complement one another beautifully. Don't leave port without 'em!
on January 3, 2007
got this book, in part, to try and gauge how big problems would be with some used boats we were looking at. covers lots of ground and I've seen his work reproduced in some other books we have on the same subjects, for what that's worth. it's a great way to get some armchair project time in over the cold winter months!
on January 5, 2013
This is an interesting book that I am enjoying quite a bit. All line drawings, no photos but what seems to be a good cross section of techniques and things to look for. The reason I say read the title completely is that it states (in the Amazon description...the cover of the book does not state the information the same): "Don Casey's Complete Illustrated Sailboat Maintenance Manual: Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat, Sailboat Hull and Deck Repair, Sailboat Refinishing..." When it says "Including Inspecting the Aging Sailboat", it means the actual book that is sold under a separate cover and in paperback: looks like page for page, chapter by chapter to be the same except that the paperback is in b&w whereas the hardcover that includes the same information includes blue as one of the colors (I bought both...oops). At any rate, I'm not griping about either of the books, just informing that if this book is purchased, buying the paperback is redundant.
on March 26, 2014
I wish I had this book when I refitted my first sailboat two years ago. I should have spent the money on the book before I bought the paint and supplies. Casey gives clear advice on prepping, paint, rebonding cored decks, hull repair. I haven't read the diesel engine section yet, but I can say that the section on sewing and fabric gives a good basis for taking on any boat project. I'm happy with my boat but it would look even better if I read this book first. I'm ready for another project boat. This book would work for powerboats also.