Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: First Aid for the Basic Sciences: Organ Systems, Second Edition (First Aid Series)
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on January 19, 2012
Being an MS2 trying to effectively study for the boards, you'll find sometimes it takes many books to explain what you are not understanding UNTIL now! I literally only need this book for anatomy,embryology,physiology,pathology and pharmacology (relevant biochem,micro etc are found where needed). The book is written wonderfully, with a conversationalist flow. If you are like me and have trouble just reading lists/bullets of information you HAVE to know, it has been easier to read full chapters of this book compared to all the lists found in First Aid then go quickly review first aid. BUT thank goodness it flows WITH first aid as well. I love the nice side notes which feature key facts or "tie ins"to other chapters or clinical correlations. It help keeps the information feeling less overwhelming while making sure you get the big picture. In fact, there is plenty extra that you can easily annotate into first aid yet not rewrite a book or make you wonder if you are filling first aid with "lower yield facts".As far as organization, I find it much clearer than first aid but it tries to mimic first aid as much as possible.I love how every major pathology has an intro, presentation,diagnosis, treatment and prognosis subheading. I have found myself looking at cases and remembering the presentation or the drug just from reading it displayed that way (vs first aid that separates anatomy,physiology,path and pharm for the same syndrome). It made my qbank review be more efficient. In fact,I really wish I had bought this book earlier and studied it as an adjunct to all my classes (once you get to organ systems)so I would recommend this for first years as well. I think the earlier the better.
on February 2, 2014
This book is a MUST BUY when studying for my Step 1! I do not think that I would have been able to score a 230+ without this book. It's basically First Aid Step 1 but with paragraphs, more vibrant pictures, and tables. If you are having a hard time with First Aid Step 1 then this is the book for you.

Honestly, I could only go through First Aid Step 1 (2013) if I read it along with watching the Doctors In Training (DIT) videos. This book enabled me to cover the material without the videos.
on July 19, 2016
I've used First Aid for USMLE step 1 in the past and it wasn't as detailed as I'd like it to be so I thought of giving this one a try. It is more detailed than the first aid book and resembles that of a compressed textbook. The organization of the book is lacking in that it'll mention a particular disease such as Brown-Sequard syndrome and talk about it very briefly in the section about neurodegenerative diseases then come back to it in more detail later in spinal lesions and group it with the other spinal lesions. This isn't a big deal I just find it a little distracting to my flow of studying if I'm reading about Huntington's then all of a sudden it talks about Brown-sequard then goes back to huntington's. I've only read the neuro chapter so I can't say it does this for all the chapters. Although it is more detailed than first aid, its still not as detailed as I'd like as it leaves out high yield facts such as the MLF lesion in IO, but I can always write in those facts in the margins. For these two reasons I only give it 4 stars but still a good buy to complement the First aid for USMLE 1.
on November 2, 2011
This book is great .It is easy to read and it has all critical facts.I have tried different books but this is ausome for USMLE step 1.I think it is a must have .Althugh it has minimal errors but it can be corrected because it seems that it is not too many of them.Strongly recommend it to every medical student.Thanks to first aid series for another great book .
on October 17, 2013
This book is enough to qwell the doubters of Intelligent Design! First and second year med students have to get this book and for those who require a quick portable library ... Get This Book ... Now!
on June 3, 2012
Currently studying for boards and this is a must for preparation.
I would use it conjunction with First Aid though as it is "dense" (compared to First Aid). I only wish I would have known about this during first or through 2nd year. I would highly suggest annotating this during your coursework.
on October 5, 2013
I find this book to be extremely useful, although I don't use it as much as I thought I would. I highly recommend it for anyone to use during their first 2 years of medical school, as it will help keep things in perspective and help you focus on what is going to be on step 1.
on August 2, 2013
I got this book because I needed more information than the amount given in the FA2013. This books really filled in the gaps and the organization is exactly the same as the organ systems portion of FA 2013.
on January 28, 2015
An extraordinary book that is much better than the basic first aid because it gives context to the information.
Pictures are great and the explanations are fantastic! I am studying for Step 1 right now and this book along with First Aid- General Principles is indispensable. Highly recommend it, wish I would have gotten this at the beginning of second year.
on August 22, 2012
My school teaches by systems and this book is great! Plus if you combine it with the First Aid, you are good to go. I have to say that his book may not have all the little details that a main textbook may have, but it gives you the information that you need to know. Plus, it has mnemonics on the side, just as the FIrst Aid, has illustrations and pictures of the diseases. I love this book!!!