Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on July 16, 2006
I teach developmental writing at a local community college. My department decided on this book long before I started teaching there. I've found the grammar section of this book useless. anytime I have ever assigned a chapter for my students to read from it, they all complained in unison that it was "boring, too broad, and way too confusing." There is not a single note in the entire text about how to combine sentences using subordination, coodination, or relative pronouns, much less how to punctuate them.

With the writing section, there is one decent chapter on how to write a thesis statement. The chapters on the individual rhetorical patterns, on the other hand, present students with two student models and a professional essay, but no explanation or exercises on how to actually write an illustrative or descriptive or definition essay. As a result, I am a slave to the copy machine. Since I am required to make my students buy this useless book, I photocopy material for students to use to initially help them learn the material. I then use the material from Langan's as additional practice, just so students don't feel like they wasted valuable money.

Even the companion website is a pain. I thought of using the companion website for my students, but I found it particularly confusing to get around. In addition, it is next to impossible for me me to assign anything from the website because nothing can be printed, emailed, or pasted.
on November 9, 2015
I have volunteered my services as a reading tutor. I loved this book for my students when I was teaching at a technical college. It helped my students learn to write and express themselves adequately. The new versions of this are very expensive (over $100). I must have given my other copy away. However this time, I will hang onto it like glue.
on October 24, 2013
I am a teacher at two community colleges in Southern Illinois.

At one of the colleges, we used the Langan textbook for years to teach our composition classes, Now we no longer use it. I cannot understand why.

Langan is the absolute best textbook for this class. The material is presented in a simple, straightforward manner that is understandable for our students, The book contains many exercises and activities, which most other texts for this class do not. And this presents the opportunity for students to become active learners. Our students need simple, since writing is hard enough to learn, and Langan is the perfect text in that respect. The sample essays have humor as well as information that helps the student.

I am a big proponent of the Langan book and highly recommend it...I have used it for the better part of 20 years.

jacob erin-cilberto
on August 16, 2008
THis book is being used by my daughter in college. It is well written and a book that can be used as a reference for the rest of her college time.
on June 1, 2009
For those interested in improving writing skills, this is an excellent textbook choice. It is filled with helpful exercises and short essays to help enhance writing abilities; especially suited for the beginner.
on January 25, 2013
I choose this book because I want to improve my writing, and one of my classmates recommended this book to me.

The delivery was delayed for several days because of Chirstmas holiday, but it did reach earlier than i thought!
on August 3, 2010
When purchasing this textbook I was a bit skeptical since I did not received the book when I was told that I was going to. After speaking with an Amazon representative, she ensured that she will help me with my purchase since it was the first time experiencing on-line purchases through this website. She had this book in the warehouse and it saved me a lot of money then having to purchase the same book through my school's bookstore.

The book arrived within the timeframe she gave me and because of the mix up I was given priority mail so that I would get this book before my class started.

Thank you for such a quick response and for having such a remarkable discount savings.I will be looking forward to many more purchases with your website. As long as you continue to have the textbooks that I would need for my future studies at Ashford University.

Leslie
on June 9, 2009
I was able to find the exact book that my college was saling for half the price at Amozon. Everyone knows money is tight but when it comes to some things you can not compromize quality due to cost. I however was able to get both a top quality book that looked as if it had never been read at a more than resonable price.
on April 26, 2013
I appreciate the book very much,;however, I would have preferred a later edition like an 8th or 9th, but they weren't available.
It was used and I appreciate it. Thank you. I'm satisfied.
on August 22, 2013
This is not the best book in the world but it worked for me!

I did not expect to learn much using this textbook but along with help from my teacher I have become a better writer.