Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Humanistic Tradition, Book 1: The First Civilizations and the Classical Legacy
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 25, 2015
These thin era specific humanities books are mostly garbage. Each topic gets a dumbed down paragraph. Errors abound. No matter how old the topic the books for some reason need to updated constantly. Teachers using these books are copping out and departments are not concerned with the interest of student learning if they are using these texts in the humanities.
on October 28, 2013
This is a insightful well written textbook. I purchased for a semester of humanities and I can say that I used this book for everything in the class. If one reads the chapters, they should have no problem with the work given in their class. Assuming that their class relies heavily on the books like mine did. This book came with one scuffed edge and tarnished front cover, but it's not too bad. It came within the time it was supposed to and helped immensely. I would recommend this book to anyone with a humanities class that this subject pertains too.
on June 24, 2013
I got this book needing it for a summer class and was delivered on time. However, I was dropped from the course because they did not have enough students to run the course so I had to return the book. Even though I did not need the book I still enjoyed the great customer service that I received for having to return it. They gave me a full refund no problem.
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2007
"The wisdom of the Egyptians was a proverb with the Greeks, who felt themselves children beside this ancient race." Plato, Timaeus, 22B, (Quoted from Will Durant, the Story of civilization:I)

Early Civilizations:
As summarized by Will Durant, the development of agriculture helped people to settle in villages and create communities, where the early civilizations gradually developed. Ancient people developed their specialized trades, arts, and crafts, establishing an economy based on trade, which led to the first civilizations. Since there were but few written records, as in the case of ancient Egypt, archaeologists have patiently recreated the history of the first civilizations by putting together artifacts and studying ruins which have been discovered over time. A cardinal characteristic of civilizations was that each had a leader, ruler, priests, and civil administrators. It has been discovered also that early civilizations were tinted by a class system of rich and poor people. First great civilizations were built around rivers, which were crucial to their development, and became a catalyst for the growth of agricultural civilization.

The Humanistic Tradition:
This colorful work is a thoughtful, methodical topical approach to the first classical civilizations that helps not only humanity students but all seekers of common global experience understand humanity's creative traditions as a continuum in space and time, rather than isolated events by human races or nations. This compelling acclaimed survey offers a global perspective, through a gifted editor of many vivid illustrations, integrating an amazing ocean of literary sources. It explores the sociopolitical, economic, and artistic contexts of human culture, providing an analytical perspective of the global multicultural quest which humanity pursued. Gloria Fiero's popular work offers the reader an opportunity to be introduced to 'The Humanistic Tradition' clearly demonstrating the close relationship between the culture of the past and sophisticated life and rich culture of the present. The book explores the arts and thought of the West in relation to ideas of other world cultures, from the ancient mid-East to the modern far East.

Ancient World's Light:
The above being said, I would like to caution the reader that the colorful author, and creative editor adopts a rather questionably biased theory, lately in great doubt (Ps. see: Barnel's Black Athena,) that Greek philosophy is the foundation of the Humanistic tradition, at least/ even in the West. Late Medieval Alexandria, Egypt was no doubt, the "Mind of Western Tradition". Eugene Holley Jr. expressed it beautifully, "Historians of philosophy have been wont to begin their story with the Greeks. It may be that we are all mistaken; for among the most ancient fragments left to us by the Egyptians are writings that belong under the rubric of moral philosophy. The Egyptians were the light of the ancient world. They produced many early medical instruments, designed the world's first step pyramid, and laid the empirical groundwork for scientific reasoning. Akhenaton, the rebel pharaoh, is cited as "the Father of Monotheism." Asante stresses throughout the book that these developments came from a confluence of African cultures, and not from other parts of the world. "The practice of the African philosophers along the Nile was a practice of maintaining Maat [the principle of truth, order, and justice] in every aspect of life," he writes. "If we could only learn from them the value of harmony, balance, and righteousness, we would be on our way toward a revival of the spirit of human victory."

Sonia's fine Review:
"The Humanistic Tradition is quite simply the finest book of its type. Fiero manages to integrate the political, cultural, and social history of the world into one coherent and fascinating whole. It is a masterpiece of scholarship... balanced, interesting, easy to read, and consummately beautiful." -- Sonia Sorrell, Pepperdine University
on October 19, 2012
Like all textbooks it was more expensive than it had to be. If you just need it for school, go for it; if you are getting it for personal entertainment there must be better boos out there on the subject.
on March 26, 2013
I got this book for a class but I kept it as a resourse book. It is easy to read and gives a lot of information in a readable format. The pictures give the reader a sense of being there.
on January 3, 2014
I just bought it for a required class. I gave it four stars because I found the information inside to be interesting. However, I don't see myself purchasing it for personal enjoyment.
on May 10, 2016
Great buy for me it was a used book but it worked for what I needed it for it did the same job that a new book would have done without having to spend alot of money buying it new.
on October 17, 2013
I ordered this work thinking that it was the complete book for my class. I did not realize until after it was shipped that it is only provided some of the chapters-the 1st 4.
on October 31, 2010
I bought this book for my Humanities class. It has the the basic information needed and is easy to follow along with due to the simple organization the author uses.