Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon The Suffers All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer jstfd6 jstfd6 jstfd6  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Lisa Loeb AMO Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale

on April 6, 2001
As a former student, and now teacher of first year Italian at the university level, I found the previous editions of Prego! to be far superior than any other college Italian text available. I was, however, very disappointed by this edition and the number of mistakes and poor editing I found. Gone are the tables and charts which were so helpful. The literature sections are far too complicated for the beginner student. Had I been able to see this edition ahead of the deadline for ordering texts by begining of the semester, I would have seriously considered other options.
66 comments55 of 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 27, 2002
I took 3 semesters of Italian, with each semester covering 1/3 of the book, so I completed the entire book. This book is good if you follow it in a traditional classroom setting, especially since the proffessor pointed out all the mistakes in this book, which unfortunately, are quite numerous for a textbook. I have also checked out the 4th edition, which is much better than this one as it is better structured and contains useful charts,(which are now omitted) and is thoroughly proofread. The 6th edition just came out, so hopefully it is an improvement from the 5th.
11 comment19 of 21 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2003
I read this entire book across two college semesters before moving to Italy. After having spent $500 or so on Italian language books, this is one of the few that was worth the money. Even though I speak fluently, I still refer to this book frequently to resolve difficult tense questions or clarify grammar details. I highly recommend this book to any serious student.
on February 2, 2000
This book has proven the most helpful language book that I have ever used. The grammar is clearly presented and the text is interesting. Most importantly, it teaches italian as it is spoken in italy. Finally, there are numerous realistic and clearly helpful excercises at the end of each chapter. Yes, the price is high but I believe that one would need to use several other books in combination to achieve the level of this book. It will continue to help even advanced students of italian.
on January 29, 2000
Learning a new language is always a difficult task. The materials that you use to try and learn a new language must be of the highest caliber. Prego!: An Invitation to Italian is a book that would definitely fit into this category. The book is laid out in to easy to read sections, helping you to slowly and confidently build your Italian language skills. A typical chapter is laid out in the following manner: Opening Page, Introduction to Vocabulary, Grammar Points, Dialogue, Review Exercises, Cultural Readings, Summary List. The depth of information in each chapter allows you to begin seeing the fruits of your studies immediately. The authors definitely understood the complexities in creating a book of this type. They stood up to the challenges and created a book that will have you chatting Italian over your favorite espresso in no time!
on March 27, 2001
I took the full course of italian a year ago and I find myself constantly referring to this book to double check my grammar. I think it's a great book. I could never sell it.
on April 23, 1999
I am teaching a beginner 1-year long course to college students from this book. I find that this book over-emphasizes a lot of grammar points (which would not be used by the language learner for a long time to come), and at the same time the vocabulary items are almost useless (I ended up skipping them altogether for the last 3 chapters). There would rather be a need for words from everyday life than the topics given importance in this book. Plus, the examples it gives to explain grammatical points should be a lot simpler.
on July 27, 2010
The book was exactly what I ordered and exactly what I needed. This volume is very hard to get and indeed impossible to purchase new in Australia. It is a good textbook for people at higher than beginner level but not yet intermediate level of Italian proficiency to start with and work through it to improve proficiency. It is easy to understand and unlike a more popular series of texts here in Australia is not just written in Italian so it is simple to follow. I have been using it in class for almost 2 years and prefer it to the later edition although I would say if all I had was the 7th edition as opposed to the 6th I would probably find it just as useful.
on December 15, 2003
This is an alright text book. It does what it's meant to do. A person can learn Italian from this book as long as they are also in a class as well, but it definately has some flaws. One -it needs more examples of some of the more difficult grammar points. Two - the order is strange. Why did you start with avere? Somehow essere seems like a better place to start. And the chapter themes! They pretend that they have chapters arranged by topic, but it seems very haphazard to me. Also, several major grammatical topics are missing from this book, and as a result, many of my teachers have had to give us multiple hand outs to compensate. It's ok - but it could be a lot better.
0Comment14 of 20 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 24, 2010
I could never seem to find a class offered at a time when I could attend. This is the text used by the college I was attending for the 1st year Italian course. I bought it and read it cover to cover and then used the Rosetta Stone software afterward. I can now read and speak Italian at a beginner/intermediate level.