Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Vander's Human Physiology: The Mechanisms of Body Function
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on December 15, 2013
I Am on chapter 4 of this book and I have read many biology books. I find the authors are very wordy and they tend to use the words like "respectively "and referring to"the latter" quite often which causes you to have to stop reading, back up and realize which item the author said last. The authors also refer to tables in other chapters which is annoying because if I am in an entirely different chapter, I don't want to have to go back 20 pages to see a table that has 2 sentences on it. Also, The images and diagrams are not impressive. Many lack terms and features of what the text is saying. Luckily I have covered most of this information before so I could fill in the blanks myself, if this was my first Physiology book I can imagine being very confused.
on June 12, 2012
Before you read my review, you must know that the course I took that this book was taught by the professor who wrote the book, Dr. Widmaier himself!

The book is well-written, and easy to understand. It has a clear, and concise structure, that is very very readable. Other textbooks often have run-on sentences that are difficult to follow. Also, the book is written in a vernacular that is appropriate for the level for which it is intended.

I think that this book's diagrams are particularly well-done. Studying the diagrams, as recommended by the instructor, are immensely helpful in gaining a good understanding of the concepts. Additionally, the case studies are helpful, as well as very very interesting! The sections of the book about diseases and treatments for them are very helpful in reinforcing the concepts, and are very interesting.

As a pre-med, this book is great. This is perhaps the best textbook I have had in college. I can definitely see why they use it in medical schools as well, and I can see why it is so well-respected. Dr. Widmaier himself is a very intelligent, witty, and well-spoken man. The great quality of this book reflects the great quality of the man himself.

I highly recommend this book, and I myself am keeping it for medical school.
on December 5, 2012
This book was required for my physiology classes, and I used it thoroughly to prep for the exams. Also, I used this book to prep for the bio section of the MCAT-- super helpful, scored a 14 in the actual bio section. If you understand this book well, you will likely do well on the physiology section of the bio section of the MCAT.
on February 24, 2014
I love the explanations in this text, very easy to understand. Great graphics, good chapter summaries and study questions. My favorite are the clinical correlates at the end of chapter. This book is a keeper.
on December 18, 2011
Its a text book so what can I say! The shipping was incredibly fast and it was packaged well. The contents of this paperback textbook was exactly like that of the hardcover book. I needed it for a 300 level physiology course, I got an 'A'. So all is well! I recommend this book and this seller to anyone! 5 stars :)
!
on September 8, 2012
I got this because it is required reading for my physiology class. Overall I think the book is put together very well, and it is easy to follow along with the material the author is presenting. The online features with McGraw Hill are a nice supplemental to the book, and many of the videos help reenforce the material.
on November 18, 2013
It was a good textbook for the most part. I didn't use it too much to be honest because my professor always added a lot of extra info on her powerpoint slides, but it certainly helped to read the book to understand the overall theme.
on April 19, 2011
Vander's Human Physiology is a stand out in its field. It provides the best process-oriented descriptions of the functions of life. While much more needs to be said about the nature and structure of metabolic pathways in executing life functions, Vander's provides the best model-based approach for an introductory book.
on January 27, 2013
In my physiology class, I would say that I learned almost as much from the book as I did from the lectures. The text is thorough, clear, and concise. The diagrams and depictions are also helpful, especially the footnotes below the depictions. One of the best textbooks I've used in my college career, and I've even referenced the book several times since I've left my physiology course.
on June 30, 2013
I studied physiology as an undergrad and then again as a medical student more than 15 years ago. I bought the ipad kindle edition of this book to leisurely review basic physiology. This book is very easy to follow, well-organized, and well-presented. It would be a great resource for teaching students physiology.