Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Shigley's Mechanical Engineering Design + Connect Access Card to accompany Mechanical Engineering Design
Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Pop Ups Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

on January 23, 2013
The kindle version of this book is properly awful. I am shocked that Amazon released this book in the .azw format and not the .azw4 format (which is basically a .pdf). The .azw4 format would have made this much better: like looking at the printed book. The .azw format ruins it, makes the page break in awkward places, and the kindle application does not allow you to scroll continuously. DO NOT BUY OR RENT THE KINDLE VERSION OF THIS BOOK.
on March 26, 2014
I bought this book to keep on my tablet thinking that it would be a convenient way to take notes and read while in the classroom. After the first homework submission, my professor called me into his office and asked where I obtained the assigned homework problems. I showed him my edition, and he compared it to the physical 9th edition. Apparently none of the problems in the electronic 9th edition are the same as the physical 9th edition. (ok, some of them are the same, but most of them are not)

Honestly, I feel robbed. I expected better from Amazon, and from the Publisher. Book prices are outrageous enough on top of tuition costs. To end up with a book that has the same title and edition, but is not the same within the pages is ethically wrong. If you are looking to buy this book as a class requirement, it is NOT the same book as the physical 9th edition.
on August 23, 2012
I purchased this book, not because it was required for school, but as I was trying to prepare for job interviews, I realized a lot of topics that this book covered, I had minimal knowledge of. I went through it a bit and realized that there were many subject areas that I thought were simpler were indeed more complicated.

I am now employed full time as a mechanical engineer, and anytime I have a question on something like gear design, failure analysis, fatigue life, and so forth, this book is my first stop. This book is easily the most used "textbook" at my work place.
on April 11, 2014
No clear readable text. Jumps from equations to complex problems without any explanation. All the assumptions in this textbook would take years of study to understand and to make a smooth transition through the chapters. Beware of international editions being sold on here as well.
on November 27, 2010
This book is good, but there are a number of problems that I have with it. First, the writing within the text is sometimes too dense, technical and not straight forward enough for the undergraduate engineering student, making it hard to read. Second, there are not enough footnotes and/or annotations for students to make connections between the different equations, which, in fact, do relate to each other. Last, there is the problem with application of gear design to CAD programs, which renders the chapter on gear design useless to the student. In short, this class is all about who is teaching from the text and not the text because of the flaws mentioned above.

However, the book does have concrete, clear examples of the application of properties and equations in the text.
on August 31, 2012
I used this book in my sophomore year of college and it is one of the most useful reference books I've ever used. While it can be difficult to learn material directly from the text, it is extremely valuable as a reference tool. I highly recommend this book for all mechanical engineers who work primarily on the 'dry' mechanical side. It provides a very good overview of failure analysis and is also very helpful in determining constraints for parts.

Overall: Great book to use as a reference!
on April 24, 2011
This book helps you analyze complex parts. The first section is on the material components that parts are made of. The second section gives you an in depth analysis of static loading, and concentration factors of stress. Then you have fatigue analysis of parts. This ranges from simple shear on beams, to stress on bearings, and gear teeth. I haven't had the chance to read the remainder of the book, but at the end, there is a case study of the fatigue analysis of a transmission. If you're a Mechanical Engineering major I recommend this book.
on April 29, 2011
This book is used for me for two different semesters. One for Solid Mechanics and one for Machine Design. The book it decent but it is no book by Hibbler. Some of the units in this book looked like it was wrote by two different people in two different countries.
on March 6, 2014
For all the people that say 'this is a reference' book...I suggest you use electronic resources to find all the formulas you need. Reference books don't have homework problems and worked examples. This book is utterly useless as a text -- the worked examples are sparse and trivial and there's no natural progression through concepts. As a reference, important concepts are often simply mentioned in passing with a bibliography included at the end. Why would I want this book when I can read other books which actually treat important concepts instead of simply mentioning them?

If McGraw-Hill didn't shove this $200 turd down the throat of university deans I'm sure engineering undergrads would be better educated and this book would rightfully be out of print.
on November 28, 2012
I used this book in my design class and I was pleased with it. However it is not one of those "could replace a teacher" types of books. The examples were very good and helpful and my teacher relied upon them heavily but the chapters were a little confusing at time (I found myself backing up a lot to reread).

I would not avoid this book by any means, and I am sure if this was your only source of reference you could learn the material. But it could have been a step clearer and easier to follow/read.