Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Mary Carpenter Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer TL256 TL256 TL256  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

Format: Hardcover|Change

on April 9, 2013
I understand that advanced accounting is hard topic in and of itself, however, the writing style of the book makes it unnecessarily complicated. Below I provide a couple of examples of how the book fails to be a good textbook on advanced accounting, but the book's shortcomings are not limited by them. Example 1: Time and time again the book refers to "purchase method" of consolidation and other irrelevant, old, no longer applicable accounting rules. The writer(s) should realize this book is NOT a textbook on HISTORY of advanced accounting. Could we just stay focused on what is current and relevant? Example 2: on page 305 the authors mention Black-Scholes options formula and refer to "international finance book" to read it up there. On page 310 they write: "... the company can estimate the value of an option using the modified Black-Scholes option pricing model (briefly mentioned earlier)". Hello? What's the point of "briefly mentioned earlier" if the only thing mentioned was just the name and advice to read it? Example 3: on page 310 the authors solve an example of discounting forward contract assuming that incremental borrowing rate of 12% a year for a two-month period. For one month they propose to use 1% discount rate and compound it for two months. The problem is, if you compound 1% for 12 months the annualized rate is slightly higher than 12%. The example should either use 98% to discount, or if compounding is mandatory, the monthly rate should be (1+12%)^(1/12)-1 = .
on October 2, 2013
I'll be completely up front and say that this is a very subjective review. I normally try to stay objective when doing reviews, but honestly I hated this book. Advanced accounting Is a very hard class in its own right, but to me this book just made it that much harder. I am the type of person that learns better by working through the chapters very tediously, but the layout of this book seemed to just be very cluttered. There were times that a clear explanation was just lacking and other times when the explanation was just very poor. The examples were ok, but overall this book just served to confuse me more than what I felt was necessary. Luckily, as it turns out, my professor was pretty good at clearing up some of my problems. I feel like 3 stars is more than fair enough.
on October 21, 2014
I attempted this course last fall and had to drop because the professor only wanted us to use the book (she specifically stated that we were NOT to use outside sources and the book is more than enough to educate us), and the book was very hard to understand and written in a very confusing way. They don't give specific procedures or steps on how to perform the ideas they want to teach on. I am taking this course again, and I am also supplementing this text with Google search for the topics included. I know advanced accounting isn't supposed to be easy, but this book is very difficult to try to get through. To quote Beetlejuice, "this book reads like stereo instructions."
on March 3, 2013
It is a great book, especially since my class is online and I have to teach myself all of the material.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 3, 2014
I love renting via kindle instead of paying full price for the book. It helps keep costs down.
on March 18, 2016
great price as an alternative purchase
on April 6, 2016