on November 30, 2003
Teaching an introduction to literature course can be a demanding job. One concern is that you have to find the book/s that provide/s you with the works you want and, at the same time, you want to try to not break the economic backs of your students. LITERATURE AND THE WRITING PROCESS is probably one of the better collections out there. For my purposes, it has most of what I need: dramas like OEDIPUS REX and MACBETH; short stories by Joyce, Carver, O'Connor, Achebe, Munroe, and Updike; and a vast array of poetry that spans centuries.
While the price of this collection seems steep, it works out to be much cheaper than having your students buy a copy of MACBETH, of OEDIPUS REX, of DUBLINERS, of CATHEDRAL, etc. Another advantage of this book is that it provides students with guides on how to approach literature, and how to write about it. Not all of these guides are helpful, and some are extremely weak: this is why I give this book four stars instead of five. Still, I haven't found much else out there that compares to this book for the price!
Rocco Dormarunno.
Instructor, The College of New Rochelle
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Thank you for your feedback.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again

Your Recently Viewed Items and Featured Recommendations