Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on August 25, 2006
Informative value: 2 out of 5

Musical excerpts help improve this otherwise over priced text.

You can easily find books that are much more helpful than this one. Brock McElheran's Conducting technique for beginners is much more relevant and informative, not to mention way cheaper. Anything by Elizabeth Green would also be great. I believe the problem with the book is that it relies too much on defining gesture. Whenever gesture rather than music is the source of information for your conducting, you will have problems. The irony is that people (conductors and performers alike) become so concerned with maintaining a clear beat pattern and that everything is 'correct' that they disregard the music.

One good thing in the book is the large number of musical examples and excerpts. Over half of the book is dedicated to excerpts of good music that present a variety of challenges. This does raise one large question, though. Why not just have the students buy the McElheran and use scores that they bought and can later use in their own classroom or with their own ensemble? It seems that many people find the collection of excerpts helpful, though. It would be ridiculous to require students to buy even half of the score that are represented in this book.

The challenge in writing a text on conducting is that it needs to be helpful to all sorts of people. Different people will need different help, and the book attempts to cater to this variety. However, Labuta's attempt to inform the least knowledgeable people brings the level of the book so far down that it looses meaning after you can conduct a six pattern.
on September 14, 2011
I was very pleased with this product. I was in great shape, with little to no writing or highlighting inside. I was a little disappointed that there was no CD to accompany the book, which I did end up needing for my conducting class.
on February 7, 2012
I had to order this book for a class, and was pleased with the used copy I bought. Overall, the book has an easy-to-read layout of how to progress in conducting patterns, instrument transposition keys, foreign musical terms, and examples at the end to conduct to, as well as little quizzes at the end of each section. I disagree with the placement of some of the chapters within the book, as well as a few concepts I've read about, which is the only reason I gave it a 4 star.
on January 7, 2014
Complete rip off. This textbook was not useful to my conducting class, any decent teacher would be able to teach these techniques without the use of a textbook. It is absurdly overpriced, especially considering that the book itself is extremely low physical quality. The cover fell off within a couple of weeks. I strongly recommend sharing with a friend or avoiding purchasing this altogether.
on February 14, 2012
When dealing for the first time with hitherto unknown parties, one can be apprehensive. So it was for me, Ahveetee, when I embarked on a purchase of an academic text book from JPThoreson, via Amazon. This leap of faith proved to be completely successful and fully reassuring. Everything promised was performed. I will have no hesitation in engaging with Amazon for future needs and heartily recommend them to others.
on December 11, 2013
I needed this book for my conducting class and we used it every class period. It is a great tool for beggining conductors and I will always keep it with me because it is still useful to this day.
on February 11, 2013
Labuta has an awesome gem for conductors. Short chapters, but they are straight to the point. Definitely recommended for undergraduate and graduate music students interested in conducting!
on June 24, 2013
This is a great product, exactly what the description states. I am satisfied with my purchase. I would highly recommend it.
on October 15, 2009
Book arrived quickly and in good condition. I was hoping to get a used text cheaper....oh well.
on June 11, 2009
I bought this book for my son, who tells me it is a standard text for conducting majors at the graduate school he is attending. He says the book is very good. I'll take his word for that.