Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Tile Wearable Technology Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Shop now Amazon Gift Card Offer starwars starwars starwars  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now Learn more

The book was very difficult to follow in some chapters. The example problems and explanations of the subject area were very confusing at times. Some example problems allowed for assumptions by the student because the author didn't show cause for the results. I acknowledge the subject and course of study is for more advanced students. This does not condone the assumption that certain things are to be intuitively deduced. Also; as the book moves through the chapters there is a lack of continuity of usage of identifiers. Sometimes up is + and sometimes down is +. In the discussion of moments the derictions are defined, but later on the ups and downs used by the authors have no rhyme or reason because of a lack of explaination. The use of or the explanation as to the best points to use for reference in diagraming problems in the later chapters was not explained. A general consensus as to a point of reference for diagraming a problem should be announced so each person approaching the problem would come to the same conclusion (correct, I hope), following the same procedures. Several persons solving the same problem would have the same model and values determined.
on February 22, 2001
I find it hard to believe that whoever gave this book five stars has actually read it and gone through the problems. The solutions in the back are often wrong. At first, I thought I was making mistakes in solving the systems, but after I approached my instructor and solved them together, we found that a lot of the author's solutions are incorrect. The text also lacks continuity and quality examples. After going through my statics and strengths class, I have a sneaking suspicion that the author had an undergrad formulate the problems. One star is too generous.
on October 22, 2015
The book is so poorly organized and seems like it was never edited. Answers to questions are often wrong and several time I have come across questions that just direct you to a previously done question. If I wanted a choose your own adventure book I would have just asked my parents to pull out my books from when I was a kid, for free.
on November 23, 2014
Bought this book for my engineering class and the examples inside of the book are great. They are really well explained and give good real world examples. They do a good job showing you how to do the work correctly and how to solve. Glad this book was used for my class.
on February 21, 2001
Although many of the examples in the book were sufficient, there were so many mistakes that it was easy to lose confidence in the material (especially the first time through it). There were problems in some of the chapters that included concepts not covered until later chapters, and there is no student solutions manual available. Overall, I'd say thanks but no thanks.
on September 6, 2006
This book is terrible. Examples are very poorly written, shows example and then solution with no work to show how answer was obtained. The answer key only provides answers to even problems, and only even numbered problems that have solely numerical answers (no graphs, words, etc.) No other answer key available for purchase. You would think by the Sixth Edition the author's would have perfected a student friendly text.
on September 7, 2007
Bought this for a class. Seems to be a great book and very thorough. I honestly don't think there were many changes from this book to the one that followed it. I imagine the same applies to it's most recent addition. If you're looking for the basics of S&SoM, this is a fine version and should help you tremendously.
on January 22, 2015
Most examples in book are ran through without explanation or reason. VERY easy to get lost. Switches between Negative = + and Positive = +??? Overall awful and I still have half a semester to go :(
on September 22, 2013
Ordered it but it was out of stock. Still it was said "shipped" on Amazon. Now I gotta go order another one when the semester has already started. Thanks a lot guys.
on September 26, 2014
Just what my husband needed for his class.

Thank you so much for this chance to rent it at such a GREAT price!!!