Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on July 29, 2006
As a teacher of many grade levels and English fluency levels, I found this book very useful. It has perhaps the best explanation I've read on "perfect" tenses. My ESL student couldn't understand why he should use a simple past tense versus a present perfect tense, and this book helped him.

The book features many useful charts on major and minor grammar topics. I find the charts very effective and easy to learn and teach. There are also plenty of exercises in this book, too.

I've used the book with 5th graders, 12th graders, and ESL adults. I highly recommend it. It's very well organized and quick, quick, quick to use in the classroom.
on December 1, 2009
I consider this textbook to be an excellent "review" tool for an individual who is revisiting ESL grammar and writing before taking an exam or just catching up before moving on to something more difficult.

I have used this book for adult language learners for more than 15 years as a high intermediate level ESL review. In a short period of time (10 weeks)this book has helped me to bring hundreds of language learners to the same level before moving on to the basics of writing for college, job promotions and choosing a new career.

The transition from ESL to college and better jobs, etc.has been made easier by using this textbook to organize the learning of adult students from many different language backgrounds, study methods, school and course variations of ESL. It has helped me to level the learning field in a short period of time to then move on to "Academic English" or advanced English much the same as a high school student preparing for a college entrance exam.

I highly recommend this to be used in the classroom or for an individual who may have difficulties in certain areas for which specific exercises can be chosen to radify the problem.
Thanks.
Sandy Blanes
Boston
on December 8, 2007
I have used this text in the ESL/EFL classroom for many years and although I have seen others this is the best. I especially recommend it for English for academic purposes programs.
on March 18, 2006
At UC Berkeley, when I first started, several teachers recommended this book to me. I perused it and used it for the next 16 years - when the program was closed. The large number of exercises, the charts that really show how the verbs function (for visual learners), and the oral exercises (for aural learners and reinforcement) were invaluable. Even now, I sometimes refer to it for answers and ideas in specific areas. However, I must say that two teachers with whom I worked, really disliked this book, and never used it. But, 2 out of 28, still puts it pretty high on the list as far as I am concerned. I cannot recommend this book highly enough.

P.S. It is the mid-level book of a 3-book series. The other two are also excellent!
on October 9, 2003
I think this book is really wonderful. I have been teaching ESL/EFL for about eight years, and I have yet to see a book that is so complete. I teach English in Mexico, where everything the students have ever learned comes on a chart, so the charts are a HUGE help. What I most like about this grammar book is the oral exercises. Since I focus mostly on speaking and listening (due to my student's needs, of course) the students generally love the oral drills. I really recommend this book, especially for the oral practice of the grammar points. Any grammar book gives you boring fill in the blank exercises, but this book goes beyond that.
on July 4, 2008
Good book for learning english language grammar. Bought as a gift for a friend learning english. Three books in the series.
on February 24, 2011
I ordered this book on the recommendation of a friend who's an ESL teacher. A French friend insisted I tutor her in English, even though I'm not an ESL teacher.
This book makes it easy! It presents English grammar and usage in a totally new (to me) way, with an emphasis on common conversational English. There are tons of really useful exercises. Both my "student" and I are enjoying the experience immensely!
Kathleen
Maryland
on December 30, 2007
I teach English as a second language and use this book in my advanced classes. The lessons are in logical order allowing the student to progress from the simple to the more complex with ease. Although the county provides this book free of charge, my students were so enthusiastic about it that they all bought their own copies. Even native English speakers could learn a great deal from this excellent text.
on August 7, 2011
I purchased this book to sort of hone my knowledge of grammar a bit more. I'm tired on not being able to speak and know if I am using verbs, etc correctly. I just want more confidence in speaking and writing. This book starts out a bit advanced, but the exercises are really well put together. I think I am going to review some basics online before really delving into this book, but it will be waiting. So, overall, I am happy with the purchase (used since knew was expensive) and it will prove helpful.
on February 28, 2008
The Black Azar is always a favorite book for intermediate ESL students. Very interactive for a grammar book.