Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Segway miniPro

on December 3, 2011
Do not be confused with the feedback that is attached with this book as I was at first. The NEWEST edition (2nd Edition)of this book which was published in 2010 DOES NOT have a CD, it has a web access code in the front cover which you use to explore a virtual world involving videoas, fun quizzes, word games and self-study challenges. This book is filled with word building sections as well as vibrant illustrations and photographs.
The feedback attached to this is from the OLD version as well as the NEW version and should be fixed. The OLD version of this book had a cd, which is now replaced with the web access code. The ISBN number from your school bookstore will NOT match this book however thru research I have found I do indeed have the instructors required book for my BUS 485 at Skyline College.
This book was 40% cheaper than in my school book store and arrived within 7 days. If you need it in a hurry pay for the faster shipping.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 6, 2012
This book is currently used by my school for its anatomy and physiology classes. It not only contains very detailed and specific information on the necessities of building a good medical vocabulary but also photos and good descriptions of each system in the body.

In the past, I have studied more in-depth anatomy and physiology courses for medical school and pre-med, but this book was an excellent refresher on the basics. I recommend using the Taber's Medical Cyclopedic Dictionary as some words are not as fully explained as they could be which is why I gave it 4 stars.
on November 16, 2012
There is more glitz and less substance in this text than others.
The "clicker" program is supposed to cost students $10 for their own clicker, but the clickers actually cost $65-80 retail, and have a limited range--they are useless in a large auditorium(even when the publisher's rep was showing me, beyond the 10th row the clicker signals were not picked up by the computer console.)
There is little background provided to put the terms in context. If you want students to memorize, that is fine. However, if you want students to understand the terms, there needs to be clear anatomical and physiological material so they see the importance of the terms.
I prefer the "word building" approach. This text did not offer a solid background of the structure of words--prefixes, root words, and suffixes. No separate chapters to provide a foundation for the rest of the coursework.
The fonts used and the shiny paper make the actual text difficult to read for very long.
While another reviewer cites games on a cd, the cd in the student and teacher's editions I received had crossword puzzles, Hangman, and lots of text. Fill in the blank, answer test questions. When compared with Chabner's Language of Medicine, which has lower technology video games on the cd, and animations of physiological processes, the cd for Turley pales.
I inherited this text when another instructor became ill early in the semester and was unable to return to class. The other instructor had already printed out enough tests for the whole semester from Turley's test bank, which had numerous errors in the key(which the reader I also inherited did not like)
It was a good day when I put this book outside my office with a "free" sign on it.
on April 30, 2014
I was worried about buying a used textbook. I was also very excited to recieve my book. I am very happy with it. I must have gotten lucky because my book was in GREAT shape and had no marks at all.!!! Very Happy!!
on August 12, 2013
I had to buy this book for a college class. It was easy to understand and written in plain English. I will be keeping this book to use a reference throughout college and beyond. Not only does it focus on the meaning, correct spelling, and pronunciation of medical terms, but it also discusses various diseases, treatments, procedures and surgeries.
on May 27, 2013
I learned and knew a lot of knowlege about this book. It is very interesting! It will help me to understand some words of information of hospital when I or my family member get hospital some information. I will continue read it.
on October 4, 2013
I used this book for a Medical Terminology class that I took online. I love to read and learn and this book was very informative. I learned how to pronounce very difficuly medical words and learned the meaning of them by breaking the word up and learning what the suffix, the combining form, and the prefix meant just by looking at the word. I can still even now look at a medical word and break it up and give the meaning of it. Great book!
on October 16, 2012
Simple drawings, clear explanations and definitions and organized structure of body systems make this book the best for beginners who want to learn anatomy. I have never grasped anatomy and the body systems so quickly as I did from reading this book. The exercises are fantastic tools to test one's understanding and mastering of one system before going onto another. Thank you, Susan M. Turley for producing this masterpiece. I shall forever treasure it and use it as a reference should I help anyone with their anatomy. This book is so simple, even a kid can learn anatomy from it. I sure mastered my anatomy and medical language with this book!! Kudos!
on March 4, 2013
There is a lot of anatomy in this book which helps give you a different way to learn the med term. The review questions at the end of every chapter were very helpful for learning all the terms!

Overall, I was very pleased with the book!
on March 19, 2011
This is not the right edition for the class. You want the first edition; however, i was able to make it through the class just fine. A couple of the pages didn't add up, but with a little effort you can navigate just fine. I just finished the class with an 91% if that is any indication. Hope This helps. P.s. I think the first edition is cheaper.