Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Learn more

on January 17, 2012
So, the book has most of the basics of statics layed out decently, but there were many small errors in examples and homework problems. There was even a disastrous mistake in the friction of screws section; two equations were switched places, which completely screws (pun intended) you up!

Other than that, the examples in each section cover the basic cases well, but then the homework introduces all sorts of little changes in the problem as you get toward the higher problems, and the sections do no good in explaining these changes. Its as if Hibbeler thinks every student will understand the expert stuff from a simple beginner's explanation. Very poor technique.
on December 18, 2013
If this is required by a class this will be less of a reason to get it and more of an early warning. The material in this book is extremely straight forward. I highly recommend you look at it carefully and understand everything it is trying to say. There are few examples to illustrate the ideas unfortunately and the homework plays more off what is said than what is shown. I recommend getting outside help, working in groups, or paying attention to any examples given in class to fully understand how this subject works.
on September 25, 2014
This book was required for a Statics class I took 3 years ago. It is very detailed and give you a great idea of what statics is. The example problems are very helpful and easy to follow. It has solutions for the odd numbers and it will give you a better direction if you are lost. It also is a nice read/study material if you are entering or taking a strengths of materials class.
This is a very good text on the subject matter, Engineering Mechanics: Statics (12th Edition) [Hardcover] by Russell C. Hibbeler is the best text on the subject or one of the best I have used. I have other books on this subject for the student of physics and Engineering. This book is extremely thorough and details the study of Statics wonderfully and in it's 12th printing edition has been honed to a great book. I love it.
on March 8, 2012
Horrible book for the first time engineer student. Does not explain the subjects well and is backed up with horrible examples. My whole Statics class agrees that this book is terrible, some of us even have to resort to our physics textbook to figure things out.

Message to the author of this book: If you're going to create a textbook for students, don't half-ass it. Also, please do not make any more books.

Oh, and the solution manual also blows, you can't even read the solutions because the text is written in a sloppy manner.

Would give this book a -5 star rating if i could.
on January 19, 2015
Great text built upon basic physical concepts of equilibrium forces and moments, as well as extended practical knowledge of calculus for use on geometric body masses. Contains many useful everyday examples, simplified and explained concisely to gain problem-solving comprehension. Saved $110 from 13th edition! :D
on February 18, 2012
It's a good book with not much theory, but a lot of straight problems and solutions. Would definitely recommend a solutions manual or some sort of supplemental instruction because not all problems are straightforward.
on December 18, 2011
Just as good as buying in a (school) bookstore, but cheaper. Comes with the online code for Mastering Engineering.

Only sad thing is you can't really sell this book back if you use the online code. I'd advise looking up the PDF of this book online instead of buying this and then buying Mastering Engineering Code separately if you need it for class. Much cheaper.
on May 31, 2014
Great Condition and just the edition required for my engineering class. I survived most of the semester without it, but with the prospects of being able to have this on an open book final.... I think we all know why I purchased this bad-boy.
on October 24, 2011
Caution when ordering this book you may not receive it in the quality required for the buy back offered by Amazon. I received this book with wavy pages (not acceptable for buy back) and dented corners (beyond what is acceptable for buy back). Unfortunately, I waited until late to order the book because I was uncertain if I could do the class so I couldn't send it back to Amazon without my grade being severely in danger. The book itself is standard collage text if you have a good understanding of algebra, trig, and calc; the book will not cover any of these skills beyond what it believes you should know.