Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Sartorialist: Closer
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on August 31, 2012
I've been dying to get my hands on this and couldn't remember what the advance order delivery date was but it is today! I have just thumbed through it a bit, but even from what I've seen the book is as good or even better than the first. Scott has lately been dabbling in closer shots (as Robert Capa said, "if your pictures aren't good enough you're not close enough" -- or something like that.)

Scott has an uncanny eye and his aesthetic is just amazing. He covers a broad range of subjects here and, while some of the styles may not be for everybody, everybody in this book belongs there. Bravo, Scott!
on February 24, 2013
His blog has better pictures then what was published. I like street style but unfortunately most of the pictures taken was of people who went to the fashion shows. His blog has better pictures of people who can really mix the lows and highs...and they are not people in the fashion industry coming on going to a fashion show.
on September 22, 2012
I adore Mr.Schumann's website & check it a few times during the week for inspiration. This book is as good as his previous compilation, except that the pages started falling out the third day of owning it. It is probably difficult to publish so many photos economically but I am pretty disappointed in the quality of the book itself.
on September 6, 2012
'The Sartorialist' is the title of a street style photography website created by New York based photographer Scott Schuman. Since it's inception, the site has generated upwards of 14 million page views per month, and Mr Schuman, with style blogger Garance Doré, was recently awarded the 2012 Council of Fashion Designers of America (CFDA) Media Award.

'The Sartorialist' website was created to share photos of people on the street that Mr Schuman thought looked great. Over time, his content and narrative has evolved with a fascinating collection of people he's photographed around the world, especially in New York, Paris and Milan.

In August 2009, Mr Schuman published his first photography book, 'The Sartorialist', which featured many samples of his photographs, some of which had already been posted on his website, and many that had never been seen before.

The success of that publication has led to a second edition entitled 'The Sartorialist: Closer', which, like the first book, includes many photographs of people he's met and encountered going about their lives at work, on the streets and in café's.

Mr Schuman explains the reason he calls this book 'Closer' is that he has become driven to understand the individuals he's photographed better, to "bring me closer to the true essence of the person while still capturing them as stylish subjects."

Since creating the website, the author is also getting closer to exploring the character diversity that he had dreamed of. In this edition, there are more photographs of people from different walks of life, like shepherds, cowboys, nomads, house painters and bartenders, as well as New Yorkers and Parisians.

Like his first book, there are some images that will be familiar to followers of the website, but there are many more fascinating and remarkable photographs never published before.

There is very little narrative throughout the book. Except for a few explanatory passages, you are left to your own imagination to figure out where the photograph was taken and judge for yourself the true character of the people that grace the pages with their fashionable, and not-so fashionable clothes.

Mr Schuman has traveled the globe, capturing remarkable images of people as they were. The common denominator is that however they are dressed, or clothed, they all look so proud of their identities, of who they are, which brings us all closer together.

The book inspires us to find ourselves and forge our own identity. Being happy in our own suits is all that matters.
on October 29, 2012
I don't agree with the other costumer who said this book is better because the pictures are " closer ".the format of the book is the same as before. It's even close to the first book in the number of close ups they have included. However like Scott himself mentions, he is closer to his subjects. Each picture has a story, more so than the last time.it used to be just about an interesting combination of clothing articles for Scott, but now, in his second book, you can see that people DO matter as well. The subject, their facial structure or emotions,their visual position and background, all that come into play. Schumann tries to capture each person in their own element and habits and life style to present the most and that's why I love this book so much better than the first. Although if you are into street style, the first book is a must as well
on January 17, 2014
This is an informative book that relies very heavily (and successfully) on the purely visual. If "clothes make the man" (--or woman), then one has to wonder and delight at the infinite variety of self-expressive ensembles that are on view just about anywhere in the world, at any time. This is no runway catalog; no posed pictures; just people of every age and walk of life, going about their daily tasks, and as such can be quite a sociological study of who we are as a species. Besides all this, I think it could be a useful book for anyone in the clothing design business, and it's for that reason I bought this copy for my youngest son (a clothing designer) who did indeed find it quite fascinating. Every bit as fascinating as its predecessor, The Sartorialist, which I will make sure I get for my son, as well.
on February 28, 2014
I have bought 6 copies of this book. I have given this to friends and family. Great ideas and reference. I love to go back and look at the people and their expressions when I am feeling blue or I need an idea for something to pull together for work. I have post it notes on my copy to mark the pages of the photos that I love so much! Great fun to look at and think about what you are going to wear or go out and buy on your next shopping spree!
on December 25, 2014
I bought this as gift for my fashion conscious niece for Christmas of 2013. She told me this Christmas (2014) that she looks at and refers to this book all the time and she loves this book and it's companion volume.
on July 27, 2013
Not that many words are needed to describe or review this amazing piece of work. If you are a follower and lover(yes i said lover) of The Sartorialist the site-blog and The first book then you have already decided to get this book. Is a must have in my collection and 1 of my most treasured possessions, it's an easy go to for inspiration on days that my brain is overloaded with style indulgence. And if you have ever met Scott Schuman or watched his videos or hear him speak about his passion, you would know that this is his true calling. He is as close to a gatekeeper of the right to express yourself through fashion and personal style that we have had come along since Bill Cunningham and Grace Coddington. He is of true beauty,poise,grace,humility,and confidence all things needed to create the utmost gentleman.
on March 5, 2014
Schuman is a genius at capturing people in their unique element and style. I can really appreciate the fact that he shows all types of people—different races, sizes, young and old, male and female. Above all, he lets others know that you don’t have to be a “super model” to have a sense of style, a knack for beauty, and a zest or passion for those things fashionable. These people photographed on the streets who seem ordinary are, in fact, extraordinary. Not because of high price designer brands either. Schuman reveals the beautiful side of being human and all that’s humane. It’s captivating because these people are literally walking contradictions—very poetic to say the least. Of course, my favorite person in the book is the girl on the cover. Overall, this is a great book to own.